An Old School Catholic Message Board

"church" Converted Into A Home

Resurrexi

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944703' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:03 PM'][url="http://www.travelet.com/2009/07/one-pair-bought-and-converted-church-into-home-in-kyloe-northumberland/"]A "church" in England converted into a home[/url].

The building was apparently built in 1792, long after Anglicans ceased to have a valid Sacrament of Order, so it isn't as if a consecrated church had been converted into a private home.[/quote]

All the hard work and creativity they poured into this remodeling... and all you care about is that it was never validly consecrated? Would you prefer, if it were a consecrated structure, that it rot to the ground?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Winchester' post='1945263' date='Aug 10 2009, 06:38 AM']church is deconsecrated when no longer in use. Even if it were a former Catholic church, it wouldn't be a big deal.[/quote]

Is there an actual rite for deconsecration, or is it like a blessing, which remains valid until the blessed object is sold?

I stayed in a hotel in Mexico once that used to be a big convent. It was cool, but made lots of creaking noises at night.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1945309' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:17 AM']Is there an actual rite for deconsecration, or is it like a blessing, which remains valid until the blessed object is sold?[/quote]

I can't find a rite for deconsecration, but Code of Canon Law says the following:

Can. 1212 Sacred places lose their dedication or blessing if they have been destroyed in large part, or have been turned over permanently to profane use by decree of the competent ordinary or in fact.

Can. 1222 §1. If a church cannot be used in any way for divine worship and there is no possibility of repairing it, the diocesan bishop can relegate it to profane but not sordid use.

§2. Where other grave causes suggest that a church no longer be used for divine worship, the diocesan bishop, after having heard the presbyteral council, can relegate it to profane but not sordid use, with the consent of those who legitimately claim rights for themselves in the church and provided that the good of souls suVers no detriment thereby.

Fidei Defensor

There was a non-denominational church here that was converted into apartments. Its was a fairly pretty church, and makes for some nice apartments.

LouisvilleFan

No, no, no....

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1945403' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:21 PM']There was a non-denominational [s]church[/s] Christian community here that was converted into apartments. Its was a fairly pretty church, and makes for some nice apartments.[/quote]

...that's better.

I think this should become a phatmass tradition.

The Baptist church I attended remodeled a former 3-story elementary school into a sanctuary, listening room, art gallery, studios and classrooms. They did a very good job... especially on their limited budget since nearly all the members are singles and young adults. They were able to purchase the building cheaply (I think on auction) and have been slowly remodeling as they need the space. It still doesn't compare to some of the local Catholic parishes we are blessed to have, but at least it's a nice departure from the strictly utilitarian approach that so many Protestant congregations take.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1945308' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:15 AM']All the hard work and creativity they poured into this remodeling... and all you care about is that it was never validly consecrated? Would you prefer, if it were a consecrated structure, that it rot to the ground?[/quote]

I would never feel comfortable using what was once a Catholic church for profane use, even if it had been canonically de-consecrated.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1945534' date='Aug 10 2009, 03:25 PM']I would never feel comfortable using what was once a Catholic church for profane use, even if it had been canonically de-consecrated.[/quote]

I'd rather a good Catholic family turn it into their home then it be turned into condos or apartments with goodness knows what type of tenants.

I would definitely say that I'd have to keep what once was the altar area as a place of prayer. Probably make that are the chapel area. I'd feel rather odd sleeping where an altar once was, even if it was deconsecrated.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1945534' date='Aug 10 2009, 04:25 PM']I would never feel comfortable using what was once a Catholic church for profane use, even if it had been canonically de-consecrated.[/quote]

Canon law says it's permissable. Feelings can change like shifting sand; Church teaching is a solid rock. Isn't that how we roll? :smokey:

[quote name='StColette' post='1945557' date='Aug 10 2009, 05:00 PM']I'd rather a good Catholic family turn it into their home then it be turned into condos or apartments with goodness knows what type of tenants.[/quote]

Apartments for the elderly or low-income residents would be an even better idea. In that case, the former sanctuary could be worked into the remodeled structure as a chapel.

[quote name='StColette' post='1945557' date='Aug 10 2009, 05:00 PM']I would definitely say that I'd have to keep what once was the altar area as a place of prayer. Probably make that are the chapel area. I'd feel rather odd sleeping where an altar once was, even if it was deconsecrated.[/quote]

Hey... it's still a Marriage Feast, right? :cool:

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1945592' date='Aug 10 2009, 03:38 PM']Canon law says it's permissable. Feelings can change like shifting sand; Church teaching is a solid rock. Isn't that how we roll? :smokey:[/quote]

I accept what the Code says. That doesn't mean that I have to feel comfortable about it.