An Old School Catholic Message Board

Aeneas

Resurrexi

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1944869' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:48 PM']I listed them in order of preference. That doesn't mean that I dislike any of them. :)[/quote]

Oh okay. :)

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944849' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:29 PM']Aeneas is the central character of Virgil's epic poem, the [i]Aeneid[/i].

(He is also a character in Homer's [i]Iliad[/i], which uses the same meter as the Aeneid.)[/quote]

I knew I've heard it somewhere before. I read that in Gr. 6!

Vincent Vega

Purcell's [i]Dido and Æneas[/i] is the single worst opera I've ever come across.
His style is alright, but the opera just drags on

F O R E V E R.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1944889' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:18 PM']Purcell's [i]Dido and Æneas[/i] is the single worst opera I've ever come across.
His style is alright, but the opera just drags on

F O R E V E R.[/quote]

I didn't know that you were an opera-goer.

Aloysius_bear

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944858' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:37 PM']I love that epic by Virgil so much. It is wonderfully beautiful;
It has a wonderful plot to it too; it just fascinates all who are
Listening to those great words Virgil once wrote for Augustus, the emperor.

Dactylic hexameter doesn't sound as good in English as it does in Latin...[/quote]

apparently my latin prof did the voice over for a wishbone episode where he read some of the original greek verse of the Odyssey. He can also sing the epic poems as it is belived they were once performed. I think I'm going to try to get him on a tangent in class this semester so that he will sing for us....

[quote name='Aloysius_bear' post='1945232' date='Aug 10 2009, 02:30 AM']He can also sing the epic poems as it is belived they were once performed.[/quote]

That. is. awesome.

VeniteAdoremus

Rexi, you should be really careful with reading heathen works like that. Who knows how they might influence you.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1945265' date='Aug 10 2009, 05:45 AM']Rexi, you should be really careful with reading heathen works like that. Who knows how they might influence you.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944863' date='Aug 9 2009, 07:42 PM']I am surprised that Aeneas (the Phatmass member) hasn't taken part in this discussion yet.[/quote]
maybe they don't like chumps?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944907' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:38 PM']I didn't know that you were an opera-goer.[/quote]
While I'm familiar with a good number, I've never actually been to one. They don't do too much for me.

Aloysius_bear

[quote name='Aeneas' post='1948380' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:09 PM']I'm glad you guys like my name so much. I'm reading the Aeneid right now, so it was the first thing that came to my head when i signed up[/quote]

Actually, I had to alert you to the fact that you were being discussed.