An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicism

Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

I've idly thought about creating languages before, and realized it's ridiculously harder than it first appears to a language/linguistic neophyte.
Not only do you need a new dictionary and sometimes alphabet, you also need a completely new set of rules for how you make sentences correctly. Your set of rules has to cover as much as possible, be at least somewhat unique, and make consistent sense.

Waaaay too much work, which is why language develops over time. :)

Nihil Obstat

Tomorrow may never come. :mellow:

Besides that, after you develop all those stupid little piddly rules and words and stuff, you still have to learn the language yourself. With nobody to teach you. A language is too big for you to just remember it because you created it.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945085' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:10 AM']Tomorrow may never come. :mellow:

Besides that, after you develop all those stupid little piddly rules and words and stuff, you still have to learn the language yourself. With nobody to teach you. A language is too big for you [b]to just remember [/b]it because you created it.[/quote]

Was that intentional?

:mellow:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1945086' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:11 AM']Was that intentional?

:mellow:[/quote]
You'll never know. :evil:
If language is organic, soon enough that rule won't exist.
Then they can hook up a turbine to your deceased body and have the first perpetual motion machine.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1945108' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:20 AM'][size=1]
Japanese? [/size]

:ninja:[/quote]
Sometime in the next twelve months I need to decide whether or not to take Japanese in university. :mellow:
If I were to learn a language, that's the one.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945104' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:18 AM']You'll never know. :evil:
If language is organic, soon enough that rule won't exist.
Then they can hook up a turbine to your deceased body and have the first perpetual motion machine.[/quote]

Translation: I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I will confuse you with my vast array of words, so that you forget about wether or not it waws intentional......Quite.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1945115' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:21 AM']Sometime in the next twelve months I need to decide whether or not to take Japanese in university. :mellow:
If I were to learn a language, that's the one.[/quote]

You should totally study classics instead of living languages.

:yes:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1945126' date='Aug 10 2009, 02:24 AM']You should totally study classics instead of living languages.

:yes:[/quote]

Knowing living languages is far more helpful when you travel to foreign countries and, you know, want to communicate with people.