An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Cookware!

Slappo

Hi Phamily!

I just moved into my own place in an apartment that is owned by the Church. The kitchen is semi supplied but the cookware is poor quality (hardly any sets of dishes/knives) and there are several things missing that I'd like for my kitchen (like a WAFFLE IRON! :woot:).

What do you all use (especially the moms that cook really good!) for your kitchen?

I'm a poor fresh out of college graduate so I can't afford expensive, but I want decent quality. It'll take me a while of purchasing things over a long period of time to get the kitchen I'd like, but I figure if I start with high quality it will last for a long time.

Thanks!

I buy all my cookware at the local restaurant supply store. It is solid aluminum, riveted metal handles and lids. Lasts forever, and is cheaper than store bought stuff. I also sometimes have to cook for 20-30 people at a time, so regular stuff wouldn't work anyway. I got skillets for $10 and 12 quart stock pots for $20. If that's still too much, hit a auction at a restaurant liquidator.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1946570' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:05 PM']I buy all my cookware at the local restaurant supply store. It is solid aluminum, riveted metal handles and lids. Lasts forever, and is cheaper than store bought stuff. I also sometimes have to cook for 20-30 people at a time, so regular stuff wouldn't work anyway. I got skillets for $10 and 12 quart stock pots for $20. If that's still too much, hit a auction at a restaurant liquidator.[/quote]
Dude, that's cheap. :blink:

Grew up helping my mom do catering for weddings. If it can't survive being dropped from the stove to the floor, don't buy it.

IcePrincessKRS

The things I use most are: cast iron pans, my santoku knife, a big wooden chopping block, stainelss steel mixing bowls, cookie scoops, and various sized pots/sauce pans. And Pyrex. I'm a sucker for Pyrex.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1946638' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:03 PM']Grew up helping my mom do catering for weddings. If it can't survive being dropped from the stove to the floor, don't buy it.[/quote]
Or, if you do buy it, don't get too attached ... it will fall and break someday.

I will add that my favorite appliances are my mixer and my food processor. I have a stand and a hand mixer, and both are very useful. I have an 8-cup processor (someday I will get a bigger better one).

For pots/pans, I bought a nice set with wedding $$; it's iron with an enamel coating and a copper core. Not cheap but it will last forever.

I use my blender everyday since I mostly eat soft food. I love my immersion blender for making hummus. I also really enjoy my Cuisinart griddle/press. Can't live without an occasional Cuban sandwich.

Archaeology cat

I need to get a blender. I had one in the US, but just haven't gotten one here yet.

I really love my silicone bakeware. Easy to clean, and definitely easy to store. The Kitchenaid brand is definitely sturdier than some of the others.

We got our pots & pans in the US, and they supposedly have a lifetime guarantee, but I've no idea where that info is, and the non-stick has definitely worn off of 2 of the skillets (they're Circulon, but I can't remember what model or whatever). Only had them for 3.5 years.

I like silicone bakeware too, but I am less than a fan of it in other stuff. For example, I purchased a silicone steamer insert, and when I washed it after using it, it absorbed some of the soap in the dishwasher. The next time I steamed broccoli, it tasted like soap. :pinch:

Now I just use a metal one.

Marie-Therese

Kitchenaid = fantastic. Just expensive. I *heart* my stand mixer.

I have a lot of Farberware which is pretty good. Not the absolute best, but it is pretty darn good for mid-priced stuff, and you can get a piece at a time, or a pretty decent starter set for a modest investment.

IceP, I am with you on the Pyrex. :yes: I love the Pyrex loaf pans and casseroles.

One thing I would probably recommend above all else is a couple of good pieces of cast iron cookware. A few sizes of skillets definitely, and a nice dutch oven. They have to be seasoned and cleaned by hand, but trust me, it is so worth it. They will never break and they make your food taste like it came direct from Heaven.

Now I'm hungry. LOL