An Old School Catholic Message Board

Swine Flu

pat22

dairygirl4u2c

it was never that big a deal, if you read the more informative articles about it back when it was big.
there was only hints of uncertainty, that got blown way out of proportion.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1946974' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:10 PM']it was never that big a deal, if you read the more informative articles about it back when it was big.
there was only hints of uncertainty, that got blown way out of proportion.[/quote]
:yes:

It'll be back around in the fall.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote][quote]the reason these schools shuit down etc is because of uncertainty. mixed with a lot of politics of course.

it looks like it's like the regular flu exceppt resistant to some antiviral meds. if that's the case, then it's going too far probably to shut them down. ie, the only people who are going to die, are those who would have died with regular flu but for the shots they got. read, this includes babies and the elderly mostly. it wouldn't even kill that full hypothetical amount, cause the swine flu is only resistanct to *some* of the shots, not all of them etc.

with that said, i dont think my analysis is necessarily true, but that seems to be what people are getting at. ie, it could be more deadly, even beyond who might have otherwise been saved by a normal flu shot. more healthier people might be dying. if that's teh case, then there is cause for concern, and the uncertainty remains of how far the helathy are dying and why etc.
this is the shred of uncertainty that justfiies some more extreme actions, perhaps.[/quote][/quote]

here's the thread that was talking about it where i made the above post - that thread also has some informative points in it (back when it was all the rage swine flu
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=93598&st=40&p=1864102&hl=swine&#entry1864102"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...p;#entry1864102[/url]

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

homeschoolmom

[quote name='rachael' post='1946977' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:12 PM']:yes:

It'll be back around in the fall.[/quote]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1947043' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:57 PM']I kind of hoped to get it before it got a chance to mutate.[/quote]

Nihil Obstat

I heard that if you compare real numbers, regular influenza was still significantly more dangerous this year than H1N1 ever was.

People have gotten it here now, so I have to hear about it all the time. At mass we don't shake hands, the host is not received on the tongue and for some reason I don't know there's salt in the holy water.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1947153' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:35 PM']I heard that if you compare real numbers, regular influenza was still significantly more dangerous this year than H1N1 ever was.[/quote]
True. However, there is always fear about novel strains that haven't been studied, because they can easily mutate without us knowing, and become much more dangerous.

VeniteAdoremus

Doctors aren't even required to report it anymore, over here. Except in case of serious complications.

They're not handing out Tamiflu anymore either :( There goes a free night of hallucinations! But I might still catch it when I get to England, it's bigger there.