An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Existentially Themed Thread

Hassan

[quote name='Selah' post='1948413' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:36 PM']The nothingness. It BURNS![/quote]

It isn't nothingness.

It is an invisible underline.

[quote name='Selah' post='1948417' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:55 PM']hush! Stop pointing out the obvious! >:(

:P[/quote]

Forgive him. He's unable to cope with the radical implications of his human freedom and thus seeking metaphysical explanations to reintroduce external structure into his life.

:french:

Edited by Hassan

Aloysius_bear

[quote name='Hassan' post='1948432' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:32 PM']Forgive him. He's unable to cope with the radical implications of his human freedom and thus seeking metaphysical explanations to reintroduce external structure into his life.

:french:[/quote]

At any street corner, the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. ~ Albert Camus

...watch out everyone!

[quote name='Aloysius_bear' post='1948470' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:13 AM']At any street corner, the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. ~ Albert Camus

...watch out everyone![/quote]

:o

I good friend of mine was truly the most brilliant human being I've ever met. She was also an atheist and spoke fluent French. I once mentioned I was reading The Myth of Sisyphus. About a week later she asked me how it was going. I said I got half way through and couldn't muster the will to continue. Her reply was "You're smarter then me. I read the whole book" :P

Only true if intelligence is tested by your ability to know when an author doesn't really have anything to say.

Aloysius_bear

[quote name='Hassan' post='1948480' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:19 AM']Only true if intelligence is tested by your ability to know when an author doesn't really have anything to say.[/quote]

hahaha very true. Though I do have to point out, all existentialism isn't necessarily as radical or atheistic as that of Sartre or of what we think of as typical French modernist thought.

[quote name='Aloysius_bear' post='1948615' date='Aug 14 2009, 03:08 AM']hahaha very true. Though I do have to point out, all existentialism isn't necessarily as radical or atheistic as that of Sartre or of what we think of as typical French modernist thought.[/quote]

Of course.

I'm not Francophobic, but I can't make heads or tails of modern French thought.

I think it all went down hill after Descartes and Voltaire. After their time the only French thinker I can even really understand is Foucault. The rest seem to be speaking gibberish.