An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's The Deal With Ave Maria?

The Bus Station

txdinghysailor

My gf goes there. I visited last year. It's a conservative Catholic college, but more Steubenville than Christendom, if you know what I mean. I think the best way to describe it is a little more conservative than the University of Dallas. The Church is actually quite beautiful, when you're inside it. I admit, from the outside it doesn't look like much, but it's very majestic on the interior.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Luthien' post='1949705' date='Aug 15 2009, 04:34 PM']I think people who have to deal with their roommates having sex with their boyfriends in the bed beside them would beg to differ...just sayin'.[/quote]

This is why it separate dorms are a pro. Even with separate dorms if they want to have sex they're going to find a way... just usually it's not in the dorm room right next to you. :mellow:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1950125' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:12 PM']My gf goes there. I visited last year. [b] It's a conservative Catholic college, but more Steubenville than Christendom, if you know what I mean. [/b]I think the best way to describe it is a little more conservative than the University of Dallas. The Church is actually quite beautiful, when you're inside it. I admit, from the outside it doesn't look like much, but it's very majestic on the interior.[/quote]

:lol:
I laughed out loud. Being a Christendom grad and having lived in Steubenville... haha Yeah. :mellow:

txdinghysailor

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1950147' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:40 PM']:lol:
I laughed out loud. Being a Christendom grad and having lived in Steubenville... haha Yeah. :mellow:[/quote]

I think it's a good description though...

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1950148' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:41 PM']I think it's a good description though...[/quote]
I'm sure it is. It just struck me as funny. :idontknow:

missionseeker

haha.

I've heard stories about Christendom, though... :whistle: :P

But yeah- for all it's hyped up as ultra conservative... it's not (as far as liturgies/ect are concerned. Academically it's fine...). :idontknow:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1950155' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:54 PM']I've heard stories about Christendom, though... :whistle: :P[/quote]

:unsure:

:saint:

missionseeker

Also, it just occurred to me: a pub is opening on campus and I turn 21 in two weeks. Which is two days before classes start. :mellow:

while i commend the Naples/Ave area for what they are trying to accomplish in today's culture (from both educational and lifestyle standpoints), i will say that much of the controversy bothers me. there are a couple students here at Belmont Abbey who transferred here from Ave in the last 18 months--one i understand to be for academic reasons (the graduate school he was looking into wouldn't accept a Bachelor's from an unaccredited institution like Ave), and one out of frustration in attempting to live in the environment at the school. while the school IS "accredited"--other places aren't buying it, because the AALE is... [i]sketch[/i]. :deal:

while it is indeed important for campus/surrounding area policies to reflect the good, holy and orthodox views of the school (i'm glad to see another school start thriving in having Households!), many of the [url="http://avemaria.edu/reslifepolicies"]rules[/url] listed are key elements of creating a "bubble"-like environment that was previously mentioned... having been an RA for the last two years, i shuddered at the sight of that link. while going to a college that worked hard to return to its orthodox roots once again, i have gotten to see first hand that policies like that create a culture that [u]deprives[/u] itself of evangelization and the opportunity for students as individuals to mature and grow.

if you're trying to compare AMU to other private Catholic schools (BAC, SCC, FUS, CC), i will say that i do not trust Monaghan and the current administration setup (see Fr. Fessio firing to understand why). in comparison to other orthodox places at this time, their agendas and pursuits are very different--which largely explains the difficulty they have becoming accredited--which is why more people are taking note of the "controversies" in that community.

but then again, to each his own. i know people who are there and are happy with what they have. the people at AveWatch are a little over the top, but that doesn't mean you should simply ignore the stories they focus on.