An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Attraction Of New Religious Vocations

laetitia crucis

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='laetitia crucis' post='1950823' date='Aug 16 2009, 09:26 PM']The [url="http://marymediatrix.com"]Franciscans of the Immaculate[/url] use wool (or a wool-blend) fabric for the habits (minus the veil of the sisters which is a cheap synthetic material) -- all fabric is donated to them. Hmm... :think: .. does anyone know if it's "tradition" that Franciscans wear wool habits? -- A few years ago I had asked one of the CFR sisters about their habits, and they had said they chose the grey as it best resembled the unbleached wool of St. Francis' habit.

To say the least, I am amazed that some don't seem to break a sweat in the hot summer months! :notworthy: Perhaps this is an added grace of being in the Order of Penitents. ;)

Although in some parts of the world (like Benin and Nigeria), they have a lighter material (synthetic, I believe).[/quote]

No, I didn't even know what fabric the FI used till you said that. I did notice that the CFI (Poor Clares of the Immaculate) postulants had grey dresses that were the same color but a smoother fabric, so maybe that's because they're synthetic while the real habits are wool or woolly. Hm.

I do know that's why Dominicans have black and white, that's the two colors wool comes in without being dyed!

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1950229' date='Aug 16 2009, 12:59 AM']Yes, that's exactly what Sr. Annunciata of the Northern Province here in the USA told me when I asked her if her habit was a wool blend. She told me that wool these days was very expensive. I wished I had asked her if they wear a small brown, wool scapular under their habit. You know, like these:

[img]http://rosaries.com/scapular/img0.jpg[/img]

At the time, I didn't even think about it, but I wish I had. One of these days, if I ever get around to visiting some Carmelite nuns, I will ask them and see what they say. :)[/quote]

If you look at St Therese when she was in her wheelchair, there was a block of color in her midriff area, and it was attached to two bands, one for each shoulder. That was the "medium" version of the small scapular worn by the laity, and is known as the habit scapular (as per an OCD extern).

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

Edited by Gemma

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1950174' date='Aug 15 2009, 11:30 PM']It's a problem with the translation, I'm sure. Many took the changes and mistook them. Especially the part about modifying the habits to the times. I know a lot of religious orders thought that meant don't wear a habit at all. :(

My former community of interest, the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus, made good changes to their habit. The old veil was too much of a hindrance and produce a "blinder effect." Now, they just have the wrap around veil and the modified Carmelite habit, with no wimple (they never had one before either).

BEFORE:

[img]http://carmelitedcj.org/foundress/mariat.jpg[/img]

AFTER:

[img]http://carmelitedcj.org/life/at_prayer.jpg[/img][/quote]

An iron-on transfer of the thorny Eucharistic heart could have sufficed. Anyone who does professional needlework could have done the monogram, also. Or a medallion. Or a pin.

The Thorny Eucharistic Heart was distinctive, and should have been retained, IMHO.

Blessings,
Gemma

Edited by Gemma

VeniteAdoremus

Well, I haven't read the document itself ;) but I strongly agree with the note that the members of the community are especially important. Seeing the sisters interact with each other, make jokes, and be individuals was lovely.

It's hard to picture yourself somewhere if the sisters aren't three-dimensional people, because we see ourselves as three-dimensional as well :) I guess the problem is finding a balance where you can both get to know the sisters, but they also keep their privacy.