An Old School Catholic Message Board

Amazing Video Of Our Universe

Oliver

The Hubble Ultra Deep Field in 3D. It's a beautiful video. Please Watch it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg[/url] (Watch it in HD)

Archaeology cat

Very cool video. I sometimes wonder if the stars and galaxies we see are actually still there, since it takes so long for the light to get to us for us to see them. This coming from someone who knows nothing about astronomy.

Edited by Archaeology cat

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1949584' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:41 PM']Very cool video. I sometimes wonder if the stars and galaxies we see are actually still there, since it takes so long for the light to get to us for us to see them. This coming from someone who knows nothing about astronomy.[/quote]

Small stars can live an amazing amount of time, several times longer than the universe has been in existence. So they'll be OK :) The bigger stars, say the size of our Sun and bigger, will be gone by now, but new ones have started to form in their place.

The galaxies might have changed shape, collided, be torn apart, merged... Especially merging and colliding galaxies are great, because they upset the dust fields in the galaxies, which allows new stars to form.

it's exciting up there!
...as long as you watch for a couple o' million years :P

The Bus Station

Just awesome. What's even more fascinating is that people can watch this and say there is no intelligent design. Um... I'm sowwy, what? :ohno:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='The Bus Station' post='1949657' date='Aug 15 2009, 08:44 PM']Just awesome. What's even more fascinating is that people can watch this and say there is no intelligent design. Um... I'm sowwy, what? :ohno:[/quote]

Oh, you mean people like me? :P

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1949658' date='Aug 15 2009, 07:45 PM']Oh, you mean people like me? :P[/quote]

You don't believe in inteligent design? or is that sarcasm, I can't tell :lol_roll:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Oliver' post='1949669' date='Aug 15 2009, 09:04 PM']You don't believe in inteligent design? or is that sarcasm, I can't tell :lol_roll:[/quote]

It's a semantics thing really. I don't believe in intelligent design as a scientific theory, which is the way most proponents define/promote it. I believe God created the world to work in a way which we can decipher through science, up to a point (for example, Heisenberg uncertainty).

Solving the problem of apparent non-determinism by just sticking the great band-aid of ID over it is just... a bit lame, I guess. God must have made it more interesting than that ;)

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1950266' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:36 PM']My camera takes better pictures than that one.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

Of things that are billions of light years away?

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1950319' date='Aug 16 2009, 01:24 AM']:rolleyes:

Of things that are billions of light years away?[/quote]

:unsure: