An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Tips For Deer Hunting

dauntingknight

dauntingknight

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1950267' date='Aug 16 2009, 12:38 AM']Odor and noise. Wash your clothes in a special rinse, and then into a ziplock. The less you smell like a human the better. The second is noise. Practice sitting very still. Also, don't dress it unless you know what you are doing.[/quote]
Got that taken care of but thanks for the reminder.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1950268' date='Aug 16 2009, 12:40 AM']Offer the deer a gun to make it even.[/quote]
Like a water gun?

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1950386' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:29 AM']don't pull a Cheney!!!!![/quote]
I see a deer
A whole legal deer
I swear that it's a deer
What if it's a man?

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1950387' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:45 AM']be a man and use a bowie knife.[/quote]
Saving that for boar hunting :D

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1950425' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:21 AM'][img]http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/70/90570-004-DDD611F7.jpg[/img]

Take some friends.[/quote]
Not those type.

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1950426' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:29 AM']and beer. it helps you shoot better. trust me.;)[/quote]
:drunk: Ya at you.

1.I don't drink
2.If I DO DRINK I would do that AFTER the guns have been put away and locked.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1950544' date='Aug 16 2009, 03:04 PM']Make sure the gun is big enough to take down your intended prey. This one should work for most....

[img]http://www.lilligren.com/Redneck/images/redneck_hunter.jpg[/img][/quote]
I'm planning on taking the meat not the carcass.

[quote name='Old_Joe' post='1950857' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:13 PM']keep your deer urine and beer separate[/quote]
yuk!

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1950908' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:01 PM']Funny thing about dear is the big daddy dear like to send the does and fawns out first to see if it's safe. So if you want a buck you gotta keep an eye out behind the mommies and babies. You should also get some laundry detergent without brighteners. Deer are color blind but what they can see is movement.[/quote]
I'm smarter than that.

When I hunt deer, I usually go barefoot, and tip-toe right behind one, then startle it, and the chase is on. I usually catch 'em within 20 feet, jump on its back, grab the antlers, and snap its neck...

but, that's just me..

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='16 August 2009 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1250397643' post='1950268']
Offer the deer a gun to make it even.
[/quote]

:lol:

eagle_eye222001

You might be able to kill a deer this way.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppS1W1Otbhc[/media]

dauntingknight

[quote name='Didymus' date='19 August 2009 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1250719208' post='1952886']
When I hunt deer, I usually go barefoot, and tip-toe right behind one, then startle it, and the chase is on. I usually catch 'em within 20 feet, jump on its back, grab the antlers, and snap its neck...

but, that's just me..
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that's illegal in every state and what are you on of those toothless beer-drinking :drunk: smell of smoke :smokey: who lives in a run down mobil home with feces all over the floor and mice :elmo: running around.
I mean we live in A merica for goodness sake I can be better then that.
I can get the deer in 19 feet 11 inches and 9/10 of an inch.

dauntingknight

[img]http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/31oge-rQoRL._AA280_.jpg[/img]
This is the rifle that I will most likely be using.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dauntingknight' date='19 August 2009 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1250738128' post='1953062']
[/quote]
If it's not too late to reconsider, you should look into nail guns and homemade blackjacks. :mellow:

Maximilianus

[quote name='dauntingknight' date='19 August 2009 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1250738128' post='1953062']
[/quote]
Hey! that's a picture of a replica gun...you mean to tell me you are going hunting with a faux rifle...I don't see much venison in your future.
:D

Are you actually using that make of rifle(an 1866 Winchester maybe?) , or another lever action?
Are you shooting with irons or glass?

My brother took down a buck with a scoped 30-30 Winchester.

Deus te Amat

I shoot a Remington .308. Perfect size for me -- I've shot two eight pointers and a button buck with it in the four years I've gone. (ages 12-16). I haven't been in awhile, but I can try to answer any questions you might have, and if I don't have an answer, I can ask my dad (he's been hunting for longer than you've been alive, probably).

Some quick pointers -- if you're hunting in a stand, go out an hour before sunrise and just sit. They are moving around early in the morning, but they won't go by when they know you're out. The extra hour gives them time to forget the disturbance before coming in range when the sun rises.

Question: Are you hunting in a stand or are you walking? Do you have access to the land you're hunting on prior? Is it public or private property? What kind of firearm training do you have? Will you be using a scope? What will the weather be like in the state in which you're hunting? Will you be hunting with friends in stands nearby, or by yourself? Have you killed anything before?

Sorry, these questions will help me to better be able to give advice that suits your needs. :)

dauntingknight

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' date='20 August 2009 - 03:07 AM' timestamp='1250752071' post='1953154']
I shoot a Remington .308. Perfect size for me -- I've shot two eight pointers and a button buck with it in the four years I've gone. (ages 12-16). I haven't been in awhile, but I can try to answer any questions you might have, and if I don't have an answer, I can ask my dad (he's been hunting for longer than you've been alive, probably).

Some quick pointers -- if you're hunting in a stand, go out an hour before sunrise and just sit. They are moving around early in the morning, but they won't go by when they know you're out. The extra hour gives them time to forget the disturbance before coming in range when the sun rises.

Question: Are you hunting in a stand or are you walking? Do you have access to the land you're hunting on prior? Is it public or private property? What kind of firearm training do you have? Will you be using a scope? What will the weather be like in the state in which you're hunting? Will you be hunting with friends in stands nearby, or by yourself? Have you killed anything before?

Sorry, these questions will help me to better be able to give advice that suits your needs. :)
[/quote]
Ok, I will be in a stand that has alumium all aroun it with windows (very nice and mice free). I went and will go shooting with my dad and uncle a few times before I go.
This will be my 2nd year going and my dad will be with me in the stand but it will be youth season so only I can shoot and harvest.
The land is private and it is located midnorth of Missouri and I hear it is one of the few best places in the country to hunt deer.
The Guy who owns the land makes his property deer friendy everyday but hunting season.
Youth hunt in Missouri is Oct. 31st - Nov 1st and I will shooting be (hopefully) a 30-30 that is if my uncle gives me it to borrow for the season or he may want me to try another gun. (I don't know I need to call him)

If I get a deer it will be my first one.
Hopefully this helps. :smokey:

Edited by dauntingknight

dauntingknight

[quote name='Maximilianus' date='20 August 2009 - 02:49 AM' timestamp='1250750966' post='1953150']
Hey! that's a picture of a replica gun...you mean to tell me you are going hunting with a faux rifle...I don't see much venison in your future.
:D

Are you actually using that make of rifle(an 1866 Winchester maybe?) , or another lever action?
Are you shooting with irons or glass?

My brother took down a buck with a scoped 30-30 Winchester.
[/quote]
That what the 30-30 looks like. (not the actuall gun)
I'll be using a scoped 30-30 if my uncle gives it to me to borrow or he may give me another one to try out.