An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's Your Favorite Translation Of The Bible?

zunshynn

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And why do you like the ones you do?

I have to get a new bible... I've lost both of mine since I left the monastery. :wacko: Don't ask me how I managed that.

I've always liked the NAB.. I've always found it to be a beautiful, somewhat poetic translation. But I hated the footnotes, and I don't think you can get it without the footnotes. And I know a lot of Catholics have issues with the NAB... why is that, exactly?

I also had one of those little Rheims Challoner New Testaments, which I liked alot... I'm so bummed I lost it. It had all of my special holy cards in it too. :sadder: But I'm not sure that's what I want for my primary translation.

I think right now I'm vacillating between the Jerusalem Bible and the RSV.

Interestingly, when I looked at some old threads on bible translations, apparently I used the KJV 4-5 years ago... and I only vaguely even remember owning one... :huh: Kind of funny.

Also, where's a good place to buy bibles online? I don't want to go through Amazon for that, and I was unimpressed with the selection at my local Catholic bookstore.

Edited by zunshynn

Archaeology cat

I have an NRSV, though I probably prefer the Jerusalem Bible. I still own my NASB from my pre-Catholic days, and do occasionally use it if I'm looking at something in Hebrew and am too lazy to get out my lexicon. Though I don't look at much Hebrew these days. [url="http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?event=HPT&N=1029216+5401&Ne=1000000&Nso=1&Nu=product.endeca_rollup&category=Bibles&Ns=product.number_sold"]CBD [/url]might be helpful in buying one online.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Oops... I put NRSV instead of RSV in the poll, but I love using it all the time. I have an Ignatius Bible and I love that it is beautiful on the inside and the out. I have a few other translations, but I love the RSV the most. I use it for everything.

The NAB is kind of like an old friend, and the most familiar translation. My St. Joseph's edition was a present from my Godmother for my confirmation. I read it when I want to just relax. I use the RSV for everything else. It is what we use in seminary here. I have a travel sized one for my backpack, and a magnifying glass so I can actually read it.

TeresaBenedicta

I use the RSV for my devotional reading-- I like the translation better (for the most part) and I'm not bothered with footnotes (and as an academic, let me tell you, I can't stop myself from looking at footnotes).

On the other hand, I generally use the NAB for academic work/study. I'll cross check it with my RSV, usually. In this scenario, I like the footnotes, and generally find them helpful.

Marie-Therese

I admit...I find the NAB to be abysmal. To me it is like the sandpaper of translations...gets right to the point, and is none too soft in doing so. The lyric quality to me is sorely lacking.

I use the RSV for my primary translation, and the Douay for reference. I also have a plethora of Protestant translations from my old Baptist days, including the King James, the New Living Translation, the New International Version, and the English Standard Version. Were there a Catholic version of the ESV, I would love it. I know there are some issues in Catholic scholarship, but to me, the sheer readability of the ESV is the best I've ever found. The RSV is the source text for the ESV translation, which is why I prefer the RSV.

I think my last tally was 3 copies of KJV, 3 copies of ESV, 1 NLT, 1 NIV, 1 Douay NT with Psalms, 2 NABs and 2 RSV-CE. Also numerous little Gideon New Testaments. LOL Pretty soon I will be able to open my own shop. At some point in the future I hope to acquire a Vulgate version.

I grew up with NIV, and have sentimental attachment to it, but to my knowledge they do not have a Catholic edition, and I understand that some parts of the translation is more heavily tilted toward Protestant theology. That's the version I memorized as a child, though, so that's the version that's most likely to spring into my head if I am recalling a particular verse. I tend to like a more dynamic translation than a completely literal one.

As far as Catholic editions go, NAB is OK; I like the NRSV better. This is what I use most often.

I've grown up with the NAB and used it in high school but I'm not a huge fan of it. I'm the kind of person that gets distracted by footnotes and its hard for me not to read them. From what I have been told not all of the notes are even orthodox.

I'm into the second printing of the RSV-CE now. It's preferred by a lot of Catholic scholars because of how literal and even poetic it is and it doesn't have the inclusive language that the NRSV has. My one complaint about it though is all of the unnecessary apostraphes.

Here's an article on choosing a bible translation. [url="http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9404fea1.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9404fea1.asp[/url]

OnlySunshine

I have the New American Bible by the Catholic Publishing Co. My godmother (who was also my confirmation sponsor) gave it to me on my Confirmation day. I don't like the footnotes either, but it's easy to read and quote. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='17 August 2009 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1250559744' post='1951614']
Douay-Rheims all the way. Simply can't trust the NAB...
[/quote]

:huh:

How so?

I ended up getting the RSV with the zipper. I like it, though it doesn't open and close as easily as I'd like. The translation is growing on me.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='18 August 2009 - 01:46 AM' timestamp='1250574406' post='1951763']
:huh:

How so?
[/quote]

It's footnotes and introductions which are boarder line heretical, if not flatly inconsistent with the Christian faith. The translation is also a poor one.

Edited by KnightofChrist