An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Your Favorite Religious Order?

Resurrexi

[quote name='Slappo' post='1951259' date='Aug 17 2009, 02:24 PM']Carmelites, their the oldest :smokey:[/quote]

:huh:

The Carmelites were founded during the Crusades.

Tell that to Elijah on Mt. Carmel...

Booyah...

[quote]The date of the foundation of the Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel has been under discussion from the fourteenth century to the present day, the order claiming for its founders the prophets Elias and Eliseus, whereas modern historians, beginning with Baronius, deny its existence previous to the second half of the twelfth century. As early as the times of the Prophet Samuel there existed in the Holy Land a body of men called Sons of the Prophets, who in many respects resembled religious institutes of later times. They led a kind of community life, and, though not belonging to the Tribe of Levi, dedicated themselves to the service of God; above all they owed obedience to certain superiors, the most famous of whom were Elias and his successor Eliseus, both connected with Carmel, the former by his encounter with the prophets of Baal, the latter by prolonged residence on the holy mountain.[/quote]

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03354a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03354a.htm[/url]

Edited by Slappo

That article confirms what I said: "Modern historians, beginning with Baronius, deny its existence previous to the second half of the twelfth century."

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1951274' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:35 PM']That article confirms what I said: "Modern historians, beginning with Baronius, deny its existence previous to the second half of the twelfth century."[/quote]

yeah.. [b]MODERN historians[/b]...

doesn't mean I have to agree :smokey:

IcePrincessKRS

I don't have a favorite. I grew up with Sisters of St. Joseph and Augustinian friars so I guess if anything I have a special fondness I associate with those two orders. As far as preferring one order over another, though, I don't do that.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1951291' date='Aug 17 2009, 02:58 PM']As far as preferring one order over another, though, I don't do that.[/quote]

You don't have to contemplate a vocation to a religious order.

:mellow:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1951295' date='Aug 17 2009, 05:05 PM']You don't have to contemplate a vocation to a religious order.

:mellow:[/quote]

I never said I did. You're reading too much into my post. I said I don't have preferences or favorites. It's really just that simple.

Maximilianus

I'm torn between the Dominicans, Carthusians, Carmelites, and Cistercians.
Leaning towards the Dominicans.
If the military orders existed it would be the Order of St. John of Jerusalem (pre-Rhodes/Malta).

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1951303' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:13 PM']I said I don't have preferences or favorites. It's really just that simple.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't have any preferences or favorites either.

+J.M.J.+
:yahoo: Dominicans :banana: :yahoo:

it's phunny because all my patron saints are Dominican (they were my patron saints before i realized they were Dominican), and a lot of books that i seem to be drawn to are written by Dominicans. :smokey: