An Old School Catholic Message Board

Miss, Ms Or Mrs?

Hassan

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='22 August 2009 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1250990375' post='1954610']
I don't mind it. I know usually they're only calling me by my first name because they can't pronounce my last name. :smokey:
[/quote]
Quick question:

How do you pronounce your last name?

:unsure:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='rachael' date='22 August 2009 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1250990613' post='1954613']
Quick question:

How do you pronounce your last name?

:unsure:
[/quote]
:blink:

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='22 August 2009 - 09:25 PM' timestamp='1250990743' post='1954619']
:blink:
[/quote]
Sorry, Mizz Katie.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='princessgianna' date='22 August 2009 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1250990102' post='1954603']
Wish it were like that today.
[/quote]
It is here.
And I like it.

All adult females are, unless introduced otherwise or in a formal capacity such as school, Miss N. Adult males are different, I tend to go with Mr. Surname, but if I don't know, Mr. N. usually does.

All of my mother's friends/adult women that I know (again outside of school and things)/etc. are Miss/Miz N. It's kind of like...respectfully familiar.

I have been called "Ma'm" since about age 12. I do not know why. Maybe I just don't inspire the youthful exuberance of "Miss."

I think we should call all ladies Madame. Somewhat matronly perhaps ... but mucho gravitas.

Edited by Lilllabettt

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='22 August 2009 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1250997458' post='1954699']
I have been called "Ma'm" since about age 12. I do not know why. Maybe I just don't inspire the youthful exuberance of "Miss."

I think we should call all ladies Madame. Somewhat matronly perhaps ... but mucho gravitas.
[/quote]
I thought we were talking about name prefices, of which I do not consider ma'am to be a part.
Not only have I never heard of anyone saying "Ma'am Smith", but I'm not sure I could even picture myself saying it.
Now, if we're speaking simply with the title, then yes, I use Ma'am [i]exclusively[/i] (i.e., Pardon me, ma'am). I find using "Miss" as a standalone way to address a lady (i.e., pardon me, miss) as very condescending.

IcePrincessKRS

I think some people will say Miss if they can't gauge how old a woman is are because they don't want to offend by calling her ma'am if she's actually quite young.

princessgianna

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='22 August 2009 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1250992846' post='1954658']
It is here.
And I like it.

All adult females are, unless introduced otherwise or in a formal capacity such as school, Miss N. Adult males are different, I tend to go with Mr. Surname, but if I don't know, Mr. N. usually does.

All of my mother's friends/adult women that I know (again outside of school and things)/etc. are Miss/Miz N. It's kind of like...respectfully familiar.
[/quote]
That's awesome!

Vincent Vega

[quote name='princessgianna' date='23 August 2009 - 12:14 AM' timestamp='1251000856' post='1954715']
That's awesome!
[/quote]
Well, you ought to move here. ;)
Or, alternatively, you could simply start doing it where you live.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='23 August 2009 - 01:19 AM' timestamp='1251001186' post='1954721']
[b]Or, alternatively, you could simply start doing it where you live.[/b]
[/quote]

:yes: I think it's very much a southern thing, I'm originally from upstate NY but I still have my kids address adults that way most of the time.

princessgianna

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='22 August 2009 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1251001186' post='1954721']
Or, alternatively, you could simply start doing it where you live.
[/quote]
I could though I am not sure it is real convenient.

Um call myself Ms? :huh: :hehe: Yea let me start that one at work "hello welcome to ---- I am Ms.Gina and Ill be serving you today".

Yea yea yea I know plant seeds. :saint: I always adress adults by thier last name! When we moved all the other kids called the adults by their first name except us. My parents made us address them as "Mrs SoandsO and Mr Insertlastnamehere. I was raised with that. Though I am part of a small group.

Edited by princessgianna

Vincent Vega

Haha, typically, I use it to refer to people in a "higher" position than I. For instance, when I volunteer at the hospital, I introduce myself as Mitch, but refer to the patient always as ma'am/Mr/Miss X, because in that capacity, I am serving them (plus they're older than me). I'd do the same in any service type job.
If you're working with children or something of that sort though, perhaps that (introducing yourself as Miss) would do.
In any case, it may be best just to do whatever the customary standard of respect is in your area, to avoid being viewed as not or overly respectful.

princessgianna

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='22 August 2009 - 11:34 PM' timestamp='1251002065' post='1954730']
Haha, typically, I use it to refer to people in a "higher" position than I. For instance, when I volunteer at the hospital, I introduce myself as Mitch, but refer to the patient always as ma'am/Mr/Miss X, because in that capacity, I am serving them (plus they're older than me). I'd do the same in any service type job.
If you're working with children or something of that sort though, perhaps that (introducing yourself as Miss) would do.
In any case, it may be best just to do whatever the customary standard of respect is in your area, to avoid being viewed as not or overly respectful.
[/quote]
Yea I was totally joking about calling myself "miss" to older people. Right I totally agree- I also was brought up to use Ma'am and Sir when addressing older people.