An Old School Catholic Message Board

Having Kids Before Buying A House

Ash Wednesday

My fiance and I will not have a house before we have kids as the longest we are willing to wait for financial reasons out of college is 1 year.

The boss at my job has an extra apartment that I am house sitting at for as long as I have the position. (House sitting isn't compensation and therefore not taxable ;))

We have no reason to be looking at houses until I no longer work here and who knows when that'll be.

[quote name='scardella' date='21 August 2009 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1250874790' post='1953877']

However, people who've married just out of college are often not yet financially able to buy a house, but they don't want to wait five years before having kids. It will make more sense for them to have a kiddo or two before being at the point of buying a house.
[/quote]

:yes:

Darn students loans! lol

[quote name='rachael' date='21 August 2009 - 12:21 PM' timestamp='1250871669' post='1953836']
My parents owned a house before they had me. :unsure:
[/quote]

So did mine, but then again they didn't start a family together right away. I was the first one that they had together and I was born almost a full four years after they got married.

My parents owned a house from the start of their marriage and I hope to do the same. However, we've always lived at home while studying, which means no loans to pay back plus being able to save while at college.

[quote name='Deeds' date='21 August 2009 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1250882697' post='1953919']
My parents owned a house from the start of their marriage and I hope to do the same. However, we've always lived at home while studying, which means no loans to pay back plus being able to save while at college.
[/quote]

Yeah, that helps a lot. I'm thankful that my students loans and Micah's aren't too ridiculous. A house will be nice someday lol but right now we're just having babies instead lol

[quote name='StColette' date='22 August 2009 - 02:24 AM' timestamp='1250900697' post='1954075']
Yeah, that helps a lot. I'm thankful that my students loans and Micah's aren't too ridiculous. A house will be nice someday lol but right now we're just having babies instead lol
[/quote]
Babies are much better than houses. :)

[quote name='rachael' date='21 August 2009 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1250873617' post='1953857']
Mom always told me not to marry a man like you. :mellow:
[/quote]
Well, you're too late anyway.

My dad was in the military and was stationed in Germany when my brother and I were born. We had an apt. type building. When we came back to the US we had homes. My parents bought our house now when I was six and we have been living here since then.

[quote name='Winchester' date='21 August 2009 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1250904036' post='1954100']
Well, you're too late anyway.
[/quote]
What will I do with my life? :sadwalk:

[quote name='rachael' date='22 August 2009 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1250962156' post='1954283']
What will I do with my life? :sadwalk:
[/quote]
Wait for me to become a widower, I guess.

[quote name='picchick' date='22 August 2009 - 01:26 PM' timestamp='1250961962' post='1954281']
My dad was in the military and was stationed in Germany when my brother and I were born. We had an apt. type building. When we came back to the US we had homes. My parents bought our house now when I was six and we have been living here since then.
[/quote]
It's always about you, isn't it?

Haven't read the thread, just answering the first question.

We lived in a TINY apartment when we had our first child. We applied for a mortgage and were laughed at... Then we moved to a bigger apartment. Then we had our second baby. Then we started saving, and built a brand new home.

Now we live in our new home with our three kids.

So, yes, we had kids before buying or even saving for a house. :D