Fidei Defensor Posted August 25, 2009 Author Posted August 25, 2009 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='24 August 2009 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1251171793' post='1955910'] I have never been called to jury duty. Wonder if there is any reason why? I'm not even sure where they pull your information from for it. [/quote] One of my mom's friends has never been called, either, and she's pretty old. In many states, they rely on records from the DMV and use a lottery system. At least that's how it is in Wisconsin.
Norseman82 Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 (edited) I was [i]voir dire[/i]d to be on the jury on this case: [url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,141022,00.html"]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,141022,00.html[/url] Edited August 25, 2009 by Norseman82
zunshynn Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='24 August 2009 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1251171793' post='1955910'] I have never been called to jury duty. Wonder if there is any reason why? I'm not even sure where they pull your information from for it. [/quote] I think it's from both your driver's license and/or voter registration.
Brother Adam Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 [quote name='fidei defensor' date='25 August 2009 - 12:49 AM' timestamp='1251172152' post='1955913'] One of my mom's friends has never been called, either, and she's pretty old. In many states, they rely on records from the DMV and use a lottery system. At least that's how it is in Wisconsin. [/quote] I guess I've won the lottery so far then
homeschoolmom Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 My mom's mever been called and as far as I know, neither has my dad. HSdad hasn't either.
Archaeology cat Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 I was called, but I wasn't in the country.
Winchester Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 Tell me which high security prison they send you to. I will send you a Hannah Montana pillow case.
Fidei Defensor Posted August 25, 2009 Author Posted August 25, 2009 You'll love this. They called me back. Apparently, according to the recording I was supposed to listen to the night before that tells me if the case had been settled or not, they didn't need jurors with last names A-D (of which I fall into) to come in, i.e. i didn't even have to be there and they didn't even know the difference. Life is torturous.
VeniteAdoremus Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 Aww. Be comforted with the thought that I will never have jury duty. Unless something excessively weird happens to our legal system.
kamiller42 Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 I have been called twice in the past 18 months. One was criminal court. The other was civil court. Both were county courts that paid $8/day, but I opted to take the "donate your pay to the juvenile assistance/recovery program." Something like that. In both cases, I was home by noon because I was not needed and because the lawyers settled before the hearing began.
Marie-Therese Posted August 26, 2009 Posted August 26, 2009 I got called once and was seated on a civil case over damages resulting from a car accident. I was a little shocked, because the plaintiff in the case was an observant Jew and the other jury members seemed to show a certain prejudice towards him, almost like they were disgusted because a Jewish man "wanted money." He was awarded perhaps 10 percent of what he was asking for. I voted for him to receive the full amount he was asking for. I was the only one. I don't even think his award covered his medical bills. I was pretty disgusted, actually. But the experience of serving was valuable. I was pretty impressed at how seriously people seemed to take their duty, and in making sure that they stuck to the judge's instructions on deliberation strictly. I think, aside from time and trouble, that serving on a criminal case would be interesting, and rewarding. It's a very serious responsibility to hold someone's life and liberty in your hands.
homeschoolmom Posted August 26, 2009 Posted August 26, 2009 [quote name='fidei defensor' date='25 August 2009 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1251210748' post='1956100'] You'll love this. They called me back. Apparently, according to the recording I was supposed to listen to the night before that tells me if the case had been settled or not, they didn't need jurors with last names A-D (of which I fall into) to come in, i.e. i didn't even have to be there and they didn't even know the difference. Life is torturous. [/quote] Fidei-- I'm pleased to see that you were upset by this, actually. So many people don't step up to their responsibilities. It's nice to see that you were bothered by the fact that you forgot and you bothered to follow through.
jkaands Posted August 26, 2009 Posted August 26, 2009 [quote name='fidei defensor' date='24 August 2009 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1251163572' post='1955816'] I had jury selection today at 8am. Where do you think I actually was at 8am? Not at the court house. I called to figure out how much trouble i'm in but all I got was the answering machine. I need to learn to use a calendar and write things down. Lets hope they're kind to young college aged morons. That's all. [/quote] Prob the process dep on the state, but I did this once and didcn't get thrown into jail or pay a fine. They'll get you again. With luck, the plainiffs will settle. I told eveyone I was going to disregard the instructions, using such eloquent language that a fellow jurer, said "I'm with her!"--they disqualified me I later regretted it, when I finally had figured out what the case was about after the fact, but told what I felt honestly at the time and acc to the information I was given. Oh well.
MIKolbe Posted August 27, 2009 Posted August 27, 2009 i was on a jury... was the foreman too. kinda fun... ended up a mistrial (hung jury) now, everytime i get called up, they ask if I was ever on a jury and how it went.. I tell them it was a hung jury..then they say "we would like to thank and excuse juror # XX". Lawyerly types do not like jurors who have been on a hung jury. ps.. the guy who hung us up was a chump. no, it's wasn't me.
eagle_eye222001 Posted August 27, 2009 Posted August 27, 2009 (edited) [quote name='MIkolbe' date='26 August 2009 - 09:53 PM' timestamp='1251338022' post='1956754'] i was on a jury... was the foreman too. kinda fun... ended up a mistrial (hung jury) now, everytime i get called up, they ask if I was ever on a jury and how it went.. I tell them it was a hung jury..then they say "we would like to thank and excuse juror # XX". Lawyerly types do not like jurors who have been on a hung jury. ps.. the guy who hung us up was a chump. no, it's wasn't me. [/quote] They made you the scape-chump though. Edited August 27, 2009 by eagle_eye222001
MIKolbe Posted August 27, 2009 Posted August 27, 2009 no... i pointed to the chump. the judge asked that i not do that. i was mad, he was being obtuse.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now