Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

XXXChurch, a Christian anti-porn minitsty has a program called the NoHo zone about modesty dress.

[url="http://www.plannedparenthood.org"]Planned Parenthood[/url] and [url="http://www.naral.org"]NARAL[/url] are [url="http://www.plannedparenthood.org"]pure evil.[/url]

EcceNovaFacioOmni
Posted

NoHo zone? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm sorry but thats hilarious!

Posted (edited)

I hear a lot of people in here talking about how short shorts and cut off shirts are bad and not modest - but you also have to take culture into consideration. I'm Puerto Rican, and in Puerto Rico it tends to get PRETTY HOT. A lot (not all) people over there just dress with short shorts and cut off shirts. This isn't to be provocative or sexy, it's just to get away from the heat. Even old women over there wear shorts above the knee and sleeveless shirts. A lot of men over there like to sit on their lawns with their shirts off. I think it's not so much what you wear, but it's really what you're intending by wearing it. I disagree with not wearing something because you might turn someone on and they might sin. For all you know - baggy clothes might be a HUGE turn-on for some people. Realistically speaking, not many people are gonna be like "Oh, jeez, I better not wear this, I sure don't want anyone to lust after me and become sinful." NO - don't dress like unnecessarily skimpy - but if it's an extremely HOT day and you wanna stay cool - I don't see the problem with it as long as your not exagerrating (i.e. wearing something that more closely resembles floss than shorts. YES - I do disagree with those ppl who just dress to be sexually provocative - but their bad intentions have nothing to do with how I want to and do dress.

Edited by Cesar624
Posted

[quote name='voiciblanche' date='Apr 9 2004, 07:47 PM'] Let's see. Well, if you analyze it, it's putting the female viewer (or, in some cases, male viewer, I suppose) in the occasion of sin. Most men that would choose to wear a tight shirt (and I don't mean fitted, neccesarily, I mean exceptionally tight) are doing so to show off their muscles. I haven't seen many lanky little men in tight shirts lately. So, anyway, if a big buff guy's walking around in a tight shirt, young women might be in the occasion of sin. So, to be on the safe side, I wouldn't reccomend tight shirts for anybody. [/quote]
Oh ok, just was making sure. I'm not a female, so a male's chest doesn't turn me on. :lol:

ilovechrist
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red Devil' date='Apr 6 2004, 10:51 AM'] Guys need to make sure they're not walking around shirtless, no tight shirts or tight jeans (I guess that's my generation showing! :lol: )

I know of several guys that wear an undershirt while swimming. It ain't much, but it's some. [/quote]
um.. thats just WRONG..
WHY would any guy wear tight jeans nowadays.. ick! i suppose its what the guy intends to do with being shirtless, cuz i usually do that when it gets to around 80 out here... and swimming? true i don't know what would be going thru the girl's minds, but i definitely don't mean anything by not wearing an undershirt while doing jackhammers into the water.. :D but thats just me

Posted

I think both sexes have to be careful in what they wear.

I am a female who believes women definitely need to do a 180 with their clothing selection nowadays. I can't even buy a pair of modest shorts in the stores! Therfore...I stick with jeans all year round. I hate this time of year! Walking on campus I almost wanna puke. Women do not know how to dress. They are like walking temptations to men- what they wear could easily turn a man to sin because of his thoughts. Of course, I am not a male so I don't know exactly what you all think...but from what i've read or heard this seems to be the case.

My friend went to a lecture on soething like this and the guy said that if you wear a shirt and you poke it and it pops back out...its too tight (thats for the women!) Which I believe to be is true.. why attract a man to certain areas of your body. THey are yours so keep them for yourself.

I definitely try to wear stuff that does not draw attention. Usually long pants, tshirt, no low necks, no back or belly buttons showing (NOT GOOD). If I do wear a skirt its down to my ankles. I even feel akward in skirts to my knees (i know they aren't bad but i just like the ankle ones!).

This is something us young Catholic can work on. We need to set examples of modest dress!

Thats just a few of my thoughts. I can't stand immodesty. It seriously sickens me. So put your clothes on! :ph34r: hehe If you are gonna spend so much money on clothing...at least buy something that will cover your body.

Posted

[quote name='JuCa' date='Apr 10 2004, 09:53 PM'] I hate this time of year! Walking on campus I almost wanna puke. [/quote]
Here in Texas it gets really bad. I feel bad for the girls cause many don't have anything on and it's barely even spring. I'm curious what they'll do in the summer...I don't wanna know.

Actually, as I walk around, I'm now in the habit of looking down so that I don't see anything. It works really well. Plus I don't wear my glasses so I can't see anything bad. :)

What's sad about all this?

I go to a Catholic University...

Posted

Ok, This is prolly way different from what people are saying, but my opinion on the guy's w/ tight shirts, I think a guy looks hot, if he has the body for the tight shirt, so for what we're saying here its prolly not a good idea, but it doesn't make me think "oo guy...tight shirt... i want him.." sorta thing (yes, I know thats prolly not the best words to use but newayz) thats just my point of view

ilovechrist
Posted

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Apr 11 2004, 02:09 AM'] What's sad about all this?

I go to a Catholic University... [/quote]
Dallas?

yikes, that IS pretty sad.. :(

Homestarlover85
Posted

i remember i heard this talk given about chastity....

the question isnt "How far can we go, or how much can we show..but how pure can we be"

ilovechrist
Posted

nice homestar...
i've heard that quote before as well, but i can't remember what talk it was from... hm think think think

little_angel202
Posted

question to all you guys....

do tights/stocking/fishnets make any difference for the worse or better to the way you feel about girls?

God bless

Posted

Tights and stocking don't affect me. Fishnet brother me, not becuase I like them but I see them and think that the person wearing them is of low morals. I know I shouldn't and that is why I don't like girls to wear them

ilovechrist
Posted

little_angel,
for me anyway, it depends on how much you're revealing with those items. i'm fine with all of them, they mostly don't change my opinion, except... well fishnets really aren't that modest at all--even though some of my favorite singers take a liking to them. but tights and stockings don't make any difference to me at all :D

Posted

[quote name='ilovechrist' date='Apr 10 2004, 01:42 PM'] um.. thats just WRONG..
WHY would any guy wear tight jeans nowadays.. ick! i suppose its what the guy intends to do with being shirtless, cuz i usually do that when it gets to around 80 out here... and swimming? true i don't know what would be going thru the girl's minds, but i definitely don't mean anything by not wearing an undershirt while doing jackhammers into the water.. :D but thats just me [/quote]
not really tight, just a lot tighter than most guys are wearing for jeans nowadays.

Oh Geez, I [i]Have[/i] turned into my parents. :blush: I'm mortified.

ChronoMasta
Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Apr 8 2004, 07:31 AM'] isn't it funny how offended the girls get when i inform them they forgot to put enough clothes on this morning to cover their own body?


:lol: :P [/quote]
:lol:

I should try that some time... hehe.

CatholicCrusader
Posted (edited)

[quote]What do you guys consider modest dressing for guys and girls?[/quote]

The Holy See defined women's modesty in dress a while ago. It still applies today, for it is a statement of morals. It has not been modified by any Pope or by Holy See; therefore, it still applies. Here is what the Church says:

"We recall that a dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows, and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knee. Furthermore, dresses of transparent material are improper." -January 12, 1930, the Sacred Congregation of the Council, by mandate of Pope Pius XI

A very good website that talks about this much in the following links:

[url="http://olrl.org/virtues/pants.html"]Men's Dress Worn by Women[/url]

[url="http://olrl.org/virtues/modesty.html"]Requirements for Modesty in Dress[/url]

[url="http://olrl.org/virtues/modcrus.html"]Directives from the Magisterium on Christian Modesty[/url]

For males I think it is fitting to not wear shorts unless need be (a sporting event or maybe even for yard work). He should always have a shirt on, preferably with sleeves. If not long sleeves, at least quarter-length (between shoulder and elbow). Swimming should not be done publicly for men or women, as it is scandalous to all. Even swimming with only the same gender can be considered wrong; however, this can be permitted in private. Men should also refrain, of course, from see-through clothing.

Men's clothing is less lenient for many reasons, which are addressed well in the above links.

Sloppy clothing (sweat pants, large shirts, unkemptness) should be shunned by both men and women.

These are the directives of the Church--we should all embrace them as we do the Dogma of the Church.

God bless.

Edited by CatholicCrusader
Posted

I shall refrain.

Posted

I'm paraphrasing, but this is excellent!


There once was a man named Msgr. Roncalli. He was at a very formal dinner. Also present was a woman with a skirt that was too short. The custom at the end of the dinner was for Msgr. Roncalli to offer the dessert to all those present. Well, the dessert that night happened to be fruit. He went up to the lady in a short skirt and asked her. She politely said no. Then he went around and asked everyone else.

Later Msgr. came back to her and asked her again, and she once again politely refused. He went on elsewhere.

Well, a short while later, he came back to the lady and asked her once more if she would like some fruit. As she had been doing, she refused one last time, but asked him why he kept offering her the fruit. His response?

Only when Eve ate of the fruit did she realize that she was naked.











The guy went on to become Blessed Pope John XXIII. :D

Posted

at Easter Mass I saw a young girl (under 15) wearing a very tiny short skirt. I just wanted to walk up to her and say, "That is not appropriate dress for church!" And what is her mother thinking?!? I'm sorry, I would not let my daughter wearing that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...