Sojourner Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 Reputation points aside, I am not sure I agree with someone's popularity being tied to their "holiness." For those not in the know, after a certain reputation point accumulation, a person is deemed first "holy" then "saint." There may be other steps in between that I haven't seen as of yet. Right now, we have an avowed atheist as a "saint." That bothers me. While I have no problems with this particular person, there is something not quite right with terming them a "saint." And in general, I don't know that the popularity of a person, or their posts, really has much to do with how holy they are ... Can we come up with some other terms to describe reputation/credibility levels?
kujo Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='Terra Firma' date='08 September 2009 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1252438790' post='1963392'] Reputation points aside, I am not sure I agree with someone's popularity being tied to their "holiness." For those not in the know, after a certain reputation point accumulation, a person is deemed first "holy" then "saint." There may be other steps in between that I haven't seen as of yet. Right now, we have an avowed atheist as a "saint." That bothers me. While I have no problems with this particular person, there is something not quite right with terming them a "saint." And in general, I don't know that the popularity of a person, or their posts, really has much to do with how holy they are ... Can we come up with some other terms to describe reputation/credibility levels? [/quote] Maybe "street cred."
Sojourner Posted September 8, 2009 Author Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='kujo' date='08 September 2009 - 03:42 PM' timestamp='1252438924' post='1963393'] Maybe "street cred." [/quote] Something along those lines would be perfect.
Apotheoun Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='Terra Firma' date='08 September 2009 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1252439558' post='1963396'] Something along those lines would be perfect. [/quote] Or to keep it with a Catholic flavor it could be ecclesiastical titles (e.g., doorkeeper, lector, exorcist, acolyte, subdeacon, deacon, etc.).
Sojourner Posted September 8, 2009 Author Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='08 September 2009 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1252439786' post='1963397'] Or to keep it with a Catholic flavor it could be ecclesiastical titles (e.g., doorkeeper, lector, exorcist, acolyte, subdeacon, deacon, etc.). [/quote] I like the direction, but there is still the problem of tying popularity to those titles. We could still end up with an atheist deacon.
StColette Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='08 September 2009 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1252439786' post='1963397'] Or to keep it with a Catholic flavor it could be ecclesiastical titles (e.g., doorkeeper, lector, exorcist, acolyte, subdeacon, deacon, etc.). [/quote] yeah but some of us are women and can't be some of those lol
dUSt Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 My question is, how did an athiest get so many positive ratings on a Catholic board?
Sojourner Posted September 8, 2009 Author Posted September 8, 2009 (edited) [quote name='dUSt' date='08 September 2009 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1252440385' post='1963401'] My question is, how did an athiest get so many positive ratings on a Catholic board? [/quote] People give points not based on orthodoxy but on whether they fancy a post or not, or find it amusing. This particular person is quite engaging and witty. The reputation points, in my opinion, are not at all a sign of a person's fidelity to the church but are more a sign of a person's popularity. And that's fine, but if the intention is to use this a means of determining whether someone should be awarded a flag or not ... I don't know that reputation points are an effective tool. As an example, I believe that this particular atheist got a point for a post in which he posted only, "oh croutons." Apo is quite familiar with that. Edited September 8, 2009 by Terra Firma
Sojourner Posted September 8, 2009 Author Posted September 8, 2009 I just checked, and this particular atheist has more reputation points than any of the top 20 posters, all of whom are Catholic and by and large orthodox. I think this means that ... orthodox Catholics are boring.
Apotheoun Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='StColette' date='08 September 2009 - 02:01 PM' timestamp='1252440086' post='1963399'] yeah but some of us are women and can't be some of those lol [/quote] They are just titles. No actual rite of ordination takes place.
Apotheoun Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='Terra Firma' date='08 September 2009 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1252440598' post='1963405'] As an example, I believe that this particular atheist got a point for a post in which he posted only, "oh croutons." Apo is quite familiar with that. [/quote] Yes. Oh croutons! is my status catch phrase.
StColette Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='08 September 2009 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1252441775' post='1963412'] They are just titles. No actual rite of ordination takes place. [/quote] LOL I was mostly picking
Apotheoun Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 I had negative points until Stormstopper joined Phatmass and attacked the doctrine of the Eucharist.
Apotheoun Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 Whatever happened to Stormstopper? I guess the storm really did stop.
homeschoolmom Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='08 September 2009 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1252441775' post='1963412'] They are just titles. No actual rite of ordination takes place. [/quote] Oh well, then forget it. If I can't be an exorcist, I don't want that system.
StColette Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='08 September 2009 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1252442127' post='1963416'] I had negative points until Stormstopper joined Phatmass and attacked the doctrine of the Eucharist. [/quote] lol You have more positives than I do!
Apotheoun Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='08 September 2009 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1252442228' post='1963420'] Oh well, then forget it. If I can't be an exorcist, I don't want that system. [/quote] I didn't know that you were that interested in exercising!
Brother Adam Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 I know I'm alone on this, but I'd say get rid of the who's popular system altogether.
Fidei Defensor Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Terra Firma' date='08 September 2009 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1252441638' post='1963410'] I just checked, and this particular atheist has more reputation points than any of the top 20 posters, all of whom are Catholic and by and large orthodox. I think this means that ... orthodox Catholics are boring. [/quote] I don't claim holiness, but I can claim civility and reasonable logic. And it's also the fact that I am not above defending Catholic doctrines. Edited September 8, 2009 by fidei defensor
Apotheoun Posted September 8, 2009 Posted September 8, 2009 The system could be changed by restricting the voting to people with flags and having them vote only for posts that exhibit fidelity to the Church's doctrinal tradition. That way the points could act as a type of nomination process for giving out flags to newcomers to the phorum.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now