An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prostitution And Society

picchick

We all can pretty much agree that prostitution is wrong. However, I was wondering why does society see it as bad? Why is it illegal?

Putting a price on one of the greatest gifts given us is never a good idea. Even a ditch digger, coming home covered in filth can get some measure of satisfaction in a job well done, a necessary job, that adds to society. What other profession has an 85% rate of drug use? I read a study where in low rung prostitution, drug use leads to the need to prostitute themselves to pay for their habit. In higher society prostitutes (and in those who work in the adult video industry), doing the job leads to higher rates of drug use. One would assume that the job was so difficult to live with, that they have to medicate themselves to do the job.

I don't think any human should be used as a sin eater or seminal toilet for another human.

[quote name='picchick' date='17 September 2009 - 05:28 PM' timestamp='1253219335' post='1968194']
We all can pretty much agree that prostitution is wrong. However, I was wondering why does society see it as bad? Why is it illegal?
[/quote]
Prostitution at one time was legal in much of the USA. But between 1910-1915 the Women's Christian Temperance Union worked hard to pass laws against it. Police and physicians also campaigned against it largely for public health reasons, as they feared the spread of venereal disease.

S.