Era Might Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 I met a girl when I was in Honduras. We exchanged phone numbers, but I haven't called her. I was waiting to see if she called me, because I wasn't sure if she was interested. She called me tonight. The problem is, I don't speak Spanish well enough to have a phone conversation, and she doesn't speak any English. I managed to ask a few simple questions (how are you, etc), but I couldn't really hold a conversation. I told her I would call her later in the week. I'm psyched that she called me, but I don't know what to do. It's basically impossible to have a conversation over the phone. Still, I'm psyched that she called me. That's mainly what I wanted to say.
Era Might Posted September 21, 2009 Author Posted September 21, 2009 I think I have a solution: I can get her address and we can write to each other. I could probably write something halfway understandable, and maybe I could even get someone to translate for me.
mommas_boy Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='Era Might' date='20 September 2009 - 10:14 PM' timestamp='1253499249' post='1970095'] I think I have a solution: I can get her address and we can write to each other. I could probably write something halfway understandable, and maybe I could even get someone to translate for me. [/quote] Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest when I read your first post. Plus, if it works out between you guys, it sure would be nice to bring back the tradition of "love letters". That's something my girlfriend and I are working on now, because she's student teaching and working two jobs, and we don't have much time to talk on the phone, or see each other. Buena suerta, mi hermano!
perfectunion33 Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='Era Might' date='20 September 2009 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1253498542' post='1970088'] I met a girl when I was in Honduras. We exchanged phone numbers, but I haven't called her. I was waiting to see if she called me, because I wasn't sure if she was interested. She called me tonight. The problem is, I don't speak Spanish well enough to have a phone conversation, and she doesn't speak any English. I managed to ask a few simple questions (how are you, etc), but I couldn't really hold a conversation. I told her I would call her later in the week. I'm psyched that she called me, but I don't know what to do. It's basically impossible to have a conversation over the phone. Still, I'm psyched that she called me. That's mainly what I wanted to say. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] [/quote] My advice is to learn Spanish. It's also important to pray about this to make sure it is the Will of God, and don't forget those who waite for marriage practice true love.
CatherineM Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 When NASA was preparing to send astronauts up with the apollo/soyuz thing, they figured out the best way to handle the language thing was for the Americans to speak Russian to the Russians, and for them to speak English to the Americans. Speaking in broken Spanish to her is going to be easier for her to understand.
mommas_boy Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' date='20 September 2009 - 10:51 PM' timestamp='1253501481' post='1970115'] When NASA was preparing to send astronauts up with the apollo/soyuz thing, they figured out the best way to handle the language thing was for the Americans to speak Russian to the Russians, and for them to speak English to the Americans. Speaking in broken Spanish to her is going to be easier for her to understand. [/quote] It will also get you in the habit of speaking in Spanish, which will help you to learn over time. My guess is that you're like me: you had a few Spanish classes, but lost what you knew over time. Good news is this: what you used to know is still in your head, you've just lost track of it. Once you get back into the practice, everything that you knew should come flooding back. Even if you didn't know that much to begin with, speaking broken Spanish to her now will help you to learn it.
Era Might Posted September 21, 2009 Author Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='perfectunion33' date='20 September 2009 - 10:37 PM' timestamp='1253500661' post='1970109'] My advice is to learn Spanish. [/quote] Yeah, I want to learn Spanish (not just for this, I want to learn Spanish anyway). I can read Spanish decently, but hearing it is another matter. People talk too fast for me to catch words that I know.
Era Might Posted September 21, 2009 Author Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' date='20 September 2009 - 10:51 PM' timestamp='1253501481' post='1970115'] When NASA was preparing to send astronauts up with the apollo/soyuz thing, they figured out the best way to handle the language thing was for the Americans to speak Russian to the Russians, and for them to speak English to the Americans. Speaking in broken Spanish to her is going to be easier for her to understand. [/quote] That's what I did when we were together in person, I would speak in broken Spanish (basically just using the vocabulary that I know, without speaking in past or present tense, etc). But over the phone it's hard to even understand anything that's said, so even if I speak broken Spanish, it's hard to know what she's saying.
Nihil Obstat Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 You could both go to charismatic group sessions until one of you develops the gift of tongues and the other develops the ......whatever they call the opposite one.
princessgianna Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='Era Might' date='20 September 2009 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1253498542' post='1970088'] I met a girl when I was in Honduras. We exchanged phone numbers, but I haven't called her. I was waiting to see if she called me, because I wasn't sure if she was interested. She called me tonight. The problem is, I don't speak Spanish well enough to have a phone conversation, and she doesn't speak any English. I managed to ask a few simple questions (how are you, etc), but I couldn't really hold a conversation. I told her I would call her later in the week. I'm psyched that she called me, but I don't know what to do. It's basically impossible to have a conversation over the phone. Still, I'm psyched that she called me. That's mainly what I wanted to say. [/quote] That sounds really cool!
The Bus Station Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 GO ERA GO I mean that sounds wonderful, best of luck.
princessgianna Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='perfectunion33' date='20 September 2009 - 09:37 PM' timestamp='1253500661' post='1970109'] My advice is to learn Spanish. It's also important to pray about this to make sure it is the Will of God, and don't forget those who waite for marriage practice true love. [/quote] I say both of you all should learn Japanese. And comunicate that way! そお です ね。
Vincent Vega Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='princessgianna' date='21 September 2009 - 12:39 AM' timestamp='1253507995' post='1970231'] I say both of you all should learn Japanese. And comunicate that way! そお です ね。 [/quote] How impractical. Nobody but the Japanese speak Japanese.
The Bus Station Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='21 September 2009 - 12:44 AM' timestamp='1253508247' post='1970237'] How impractical. Nobody but the Japanese speak Japanese. [/quote] true life.
princessgianna Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 And so what! Japanese sounds cooler. And awesome! And therefore perfect for this relationship. Maybe it would be easier for Era and this young lady to both learn Japanese than Spanish and English. Maybe just maybe....
Vincent Vega Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='princessgianna' date='21 September 2009 - 12:49 AM' timestamp='1253508556' post='1970245'] And so what! Japanese sounds cooler. And awesome! And therefore perfect for this relationship. Maybe it would be easier for Era and this young lady to both learn Japanese than Spanish and English. Maybe just maybe.... [/quote] That would be insanely convoluted. Japanese is amongst the most difficult of all languages to learn for English speakers, as classified by the Foreign Services Institute (a branch of the Department of Defense). On the other hand, Spanish is one of the easiest. http://web.archive.org/web/20071014005901/http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/november/learningExpectations.html
littleflower+JMJ Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 This is so cute! This isn't just any phone call...its an international call! I also know how hard it is to carry a conversation in spanish when you are not fluent. Happens to me all the time with family. I"m sure if you brush up and practice, spanish would be the ideal thing to learn. Writing is good but I would check to see how long it took to get there and back.
Dave Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 Sorry to be a killjoy here, but I was raised to believe that it's the guy who's supposed to call the girl -- at least in the beginning. Alright, I admit it -- I'm hopelessly old-fashioned!
Era Might Posted September 21, 2009 Author Posted September 21, 2009 [quote name='littleflower+JMJ' date='21 September 2009 - 01:32 AM' timestamp='1253511138' post='1970305'] This is so cute! This isn't just any phone call...its an international call! [/quote] Exactly! [quote]Writing is good but I would check to see how long it took to get there and back. [/quote] Yeah, this would be a lot easier if she had a computer, then we could just email. [quote name='Dave' date='21 September 2009 - 02:20 AM' timestamp='1253514035' post='1970327'] Sorry to be a killjoy here, but I was raised to believe that it's the guy who's supposed to call the girl -- at least in the beginning. Alright, I admit it -- I'm hopelessly old-fashioned! [/quote] Normally I would agree, but I took a lot of initiative when I met her in person. But it's hard to tell how interested someone is when they don't speak your language, so I decided that I won't take any more initiative unless she calls me. Which is what happened yesterday.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now