Varg Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 [quote name='Sternhauser' date='23 September 2009 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1253731144' post='1971595'] In one of the mini-States, (which is about as culturally homogenous to your State) Vermont, any adult who can legally own a firearm may carry it, openly or concealed, without a permission slip from any other man. Their murder rate is 1.5 per 100,000. Britain's is 1.1 per 100,000. Vermont's rate is about equal to that of Britain. And their violent crime rate is second to lowest within the United State. How is that possible? ~Sternhauser [/quote]How is it possible? Hmmmm...Let's see. Perhaps it's because Vermont is a STATE with a population of 621 thousand and the U.K is a COUNTRY with a population of 61 million. You can't compare a state (especially one as small as Vermont) with a fully-fledged country. And just because not many people are killed by guns it doesn't mean that they weren't used (but not fired) in an armed robbery or in another threatening way
Varg Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 Yeah, there's no oxygen there. That's bound to mess someone up...
CatherineM Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 [quote name='Secuutus' date='24 September 2009 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1253768871' post='1972036'] Yeah i know but I guess I thought I was protecting them like that. idk what came over me. I feel like I saw another side of who I am, and i wasnt scared of it, but i sort of embraced it. Im just glad my mom screamed. cuz ur right, a cop might have killed me. Only one cop car showed up, within 3 minutes, then 2 more showed up after like 5 minutes. By then most those guys were gone, with the exception of a few. [/quote] What came over you is primal instinct, and lots of adrenaline. It is very natural. Fortunately, so is screaming, so your mom might have saved you from harm with her natural instincts as well.
Sternhauser Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Varg' date='24 September 2009 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1253809256' post='1972162'] You spelled homogeneous wrong. [/quote] After all that, your first reaction was to [url="http://www.thefreedictionary.com/homogenous"]wrongly[/url] criticize the spelling of a word? Really? ~Sternhauser Edited September 24, 2009 by Sternhauser
Sternhauser Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Varg' date='24 September 2009 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1253814083' post='1972232'] How is it possible? Hmmmm...Let's see. Perhaps it's because Vermont is a STATE with a population of 621 thousand and the U.K is a COUNTRY with a population of 61 million. You can't compare a state (especially one as small as Vermont) with a fully-fledged country. And just because not many people are killed by guns it doesn't mean that they weren't used (but not fired) in an armed robbery or in another threatening way [/quote] The main part of the question was: how can the region with the fewest firearm regulations, where anyone who is not a convicted felon can walk around with a pistol without a background check or a permit, have the next-to-lowest crime rate in the entire State, if firearms cause crime? A crime rate is a crime rate, no matter how many people live in an area. That's the point of a crime [i]rate[/i] as opposed to the [i]number[/i] of crimes. Despite your comparison argument, you have no problem comparing the British murder rate to that of a State forty times larger and far more ethnically diverse? It does not hold water. ~Sternhauser Edited September 24, 2009 by Sternhauser
dauntingknight Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='fidei defensor' date='23 September 2009 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1253684827' post='1971371'] I don't think the government is afraid of your gun. If they wanted to restrict freedoms, they would. [/quote] The goverment is there to keep order and we are here to keep the goverment from abusing that power.
Winchester Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='Sternhauser' date='24 September 2009 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1253835405' post='1972416'] After all that, your first reaction was to [url="http://www.thefreedictionary.com/homogenous"]wrongly[/url] criticize the spelling of a word? Really? ~Sternhauser [/quote] You played right into his eastenders hands, you did.
princessgianna Posted September 25, 2009 Author Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='Sternhauser' date='22 September 2009 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1253664475' post='1971233'] Communism? Too specific. You believe in Statism. Statism is the false idea that one has the right to inflict violence on a non-violent adult to make him act according to your will. Whether you use violence against non-violent people personally, or do it by proxy, it is Statism, and it is wrong. My right to carry any defensive weapon violates precisely none of your rights. ~Sternhauser [/quote] And yea let's think on different point of view. Shall we? I am a young unmarried lady. Not excessivly big/ I am more petite. I am walking through the store. Some jerk pulls out a gun and threatens to kill me if I don't cooprate with him. If there are witness All the other law abiding citazens are not armed. They follow the law! Sure you have videotaps but that doesn't do sqaut at the moment. The cops won't be there for another 3 mind. AT BEST! Since you have to publically show a registered firearm at all times. The jerk knows(at least reasonably assume) that no one else has a gun! The following scene I will not describe - let your imagine go wild. All I will say is the end result is I am sexually abused. Now let's discuss this. What happened if I had a firearm hidden and it's all legit. Guess what! I can know protect myself!! At the least wound the bad guy and protect the lives and respect of the innocent. ~ Princessgianna (A princess of God therefore worthy of respect!)
dauntingknight Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='princessgianna' date='24 September 2009 - 09:26 PM' timestamp='1253841981' post='1972440'] And yea let's think on different point of view. Shall we? I am a young unmarried lady. Not excessivly big/ I am more petite. I am walking through the store. Some jerk pulls out a gun and threatens to kill me if I don't cooprate with him. If there are witness All the other law abiding citazens are not armed. They follow the law! Sure you have videotaps but that doesn't do sqaut at the moment. The cops won't be there for another 3 mind. AT BEST! Since you have to publically show a registered firearm at all times. The jerk knows(at least reasonably assume) that no one else has a gun! The following scene I will not describe - let your imagine go wild. All I will say is the end result is I am sexually abused. Now let's discuss this. What happened if I had a firearm hidden and it's all legit. Guess what! I can know protect myself!! At the least wound the bad guy and protect the lives and respect of the innocent. ~ Princessgianna (A princess of God therefore worthy of respect!) [/quote] Or better the bystanders have a gun a shoot the guy, cuase if you have the weapon how are you gonna pull it out, aim and shoot or vice-versa.
Sternhauser Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='princessgianna' date='24 September 2009 - 09:26 PM' timestamp='1253841981' post='1972440'] And yea let's think on different point of view. Shall we? I am a young unmarried lady. Not excessivly big/ I am more petite. I am walking through the store. Some jerk pulls out a gun and threatens to kill me if I don't cooprate with him. If there are witness All the other law abiding citazens are not armed. They follow the law! Sure you have videotaps but that doesn't do sqaut at the moment. The cops won't be there for another 3 mind. AT BEST! Since you have to publically show a registered firearm at all times. The jerk knows(at least reasonably assume) that no one else has a gun! The following scene I will not describe - let your imagine go wild. All I will say is the end result is I am sexually abused. Now let's discuss this. What happened if I had a firearm hidden and it's all legit. Guess what! I can know protect myself!! At the least wound the bad guy and protect the lives and respect of the innocent. ~ Princessgianna (A princess of God therefore worthy of respect!) [/quote] Absolutely. The national average response time is about 8 minutes. Police traditionally arrive at a crime just in time to mop up the blood. ~Sternhauser
princessgianna Posted September 25, 2009 Author Posted September 25, 2009 whatever-! Point is -I have a chance to defend myself against one who is trying to hurt me. Self defence. It's simple/
Sternhauser Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='princessgianna' date='24 September 2009 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1253844775' post='1972459'] whatever-! Point is -I have a chance to defend myself against one who is trying to hurt me. Self defence. It's simple/ [/quote] Of course! One should always look out for the people saying, "It's so much more complex than that." Body counts accrue while they are explaining. If "infinitely simple" is good enough for God, then just plain "simple" is good enough for me. ~Sternhauser
Didymus Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='Secuutus' date='21 September 2009 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1253571583' post='1970627'] Im a supporter of the second amedment... But I dont believe civilians should be able to own automatic rifles. Im okay with .9 millimeters, and other handguns! [/quote] a .9 millimeter round would be about the the size of an 'o' in this font...
Sternhauser Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='Didymus' date='24 September 2009 - 10:27 PM' timestamp='1253845655' post='1972464'] a .9 millimeter round would be about the the size of an 'o' in this font... [/quote] And it would be nearly as powerful as a 9mm. Just kidding! I am a fan of the 9x19. As long as it's not ball ammo. -Sternhauser
jeffpugh Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 So what kind of gun should an innocent girl like PG carry around? A semi-auto? Can't be too careful... where would she hide it?
Sternhauser Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='24 September 2009 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1253850047' post='1972484'] So what kind of gun should an innocent girl like PG carry around? A semi-auto? Can't be too careful... where would she hide it? [/quote] The same as an innocent [i]man[/i] should carry: the largest caliber he or she can shoot accurately with the highest convenient capacity, and the one that he or she feels most comfortable with and will carry all the time. ~Sternhauser Edited September 25, 2009 by Sternhauser
mommas_boy Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='Sternhauser' date='24 September 2009 - 10:41 PM' timestamp='1253846473' post='1972472'] And it would be nearly as powerful as a 9mm. Just kidding! I am a fan of the 9x19. As long as it's not ball ammo. -Sternhauser [/quote] Actually, ever heard of sabot rounds? They allow smaller calibre projectiles to be fired from more conventional weaponry. They are desirable for two reasons: smaller calibre decreases in-flight drag allowing the projectile to maintain its initial muzzle velocity for longer, and the smaller diameter pierces through the target more efficiently.
Sternhauser Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 (edited) [quote name='mommas_boy' date='25 September 2009 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1253853445' post='1972494'] Actually, ever heard of sabot rounds? They allow smaller calibre projectiles to be fired from more conventional weaponry. They are desirable for two reasons: smaller calibre decreases in-flight drag allowing the projectile to maintain its initial muzzle velocity for longer, and the smaller diameter pierces through the target more efficiently. [/quote] Sure. They make sabots so you can handload your own 5.56 bullets into a .30 cal. Even the 7.62x25 Tokarev round. There's something to be said for driving a 55 grain pill at 2000 FPS from a handgun. It does not stay too stable/accurate in the handgun configuration, unfortunately. It works better in the larger smoothbores designed for sabots. Depending on the application, bigger, slower and heavier is usually the way to go. You don't want to aim for armor anyway. ~Sternhauser Edited September 25, 2009 by Sternhauser
Nihil Obstat Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='Didymus' date='24 September 2009 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1253845655' post='1972464'] a .9 millimeter round would be about the the size of an 'o' in this font... [/quote] .9 of a millimeter is closer to the space between in between a a pair of apostrophes. '' Silly Americans and your imperial system.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now