pat22 Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/ apparently this has NEVER happened before
pat22 Posted September 24, 2009 Author Posted September 24, 2009 oh wait. 10 times, apperantly it happens a lot more in animals
Nihil Obstat Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 Can't watch the video (I'm at school). Did she have really irregular ovulation or something? Not supposed to be possible.
StColette Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 September 2009 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1253802030' post='1972112'] Can't watch the video (I'm at school). Did she have really irregular ovulation or something? Not supposed to be possible. [/quote] When a woman becomes pregnant it's supposed to cause her body to stop ovulating. Sometimes the woman's body will continue to ovulate just like it does when she's not pregnant, and thus can lead to 2 children being conceived at different times. With this woman there is a three week difference in the conception dates, which isn't too drastic. The female body sometimes takes a while to realize that a child has been conceived and to tell the brain "don't release any more eggs"
CatherineM Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 Our family has lots of Fraternal twins because we are double ovulators. It's as if each ovary kind of has a mind of it's own. One cousin had a set where one of the twins was much larger than the other, and the doctor thought this might have happened with the smaller one having been conceived a month or two later. That was in a time before ultrasounds, so they could only guess at what happened.
Archaeology cat Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 (edited) I really didn't think this was possible, though I guess there could be a "miscommunication" with the brain so that she ovulated again. AFAIK, in cases when twins appear to be different gestational ages, it is actually that one twin is hogging the resources (more common with identical twins with one placenta, but I think it can happen with fraternal twins as well), though I could be wrong. I've always heard that if a woman ovulates twice in one cycle, both eggs are released within 24 hours of each other. But anyway, I'm kinda skeptical since it's entirely possible to miss a twin on an early ultrasound, entirely possible to miscalculate the gestational age with an ultrasound (as many of us have experienced), and possible for one twin to grow faster than the other. But of course I'm not an expert, just my opinion. ETA. I noticed the lady mentioned delayed implantation in animals, which then results in the animal ovulating again. However, in a human, if implantation were delayed, wouldn't menstruation ensue and thus cause a miscarriage? Edited September 24, 2009 by Archaeology cat
StColette Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 [quote name='Archaeology cat' date='24 September 2009 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1253817352' post='1972258'] ETA. I noticed the lady mentioned delayed implantation in animals, which then results in the animal ovulating again. However, in a human, if implantation were delayed, wouldn't menstruation ensue and thus cause a miscarriage? [/quote] I would think so, unless this woman's cycle is completely screwed up and the body isn't responding as it should. I know that fertility (ovulation) can return before menstruation starts up again after having a baby. So I guess in theory she could ovulate, conceive, and there be late implantation without menstruation beginning.
Slappo Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 [quote name='StColette' date='24 September 2009 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1253820349' post='1972280'] I would think so, unless this woman's cycle is completely screwed up and the body isn't responding as it should. I know that fertility (ovulation) can return before menstruation starts up again after having a baby. So I guess in theory she could ovulate, conceive, and there be late implantation without menstruation beginning. [/quote] Well, menstruation doesn't begin until about 14 days after ovulation has occurred. If there were to be a 2nd ovulation after a late implantation, there would be at least a 2 week time period for that 2nd ovulation to occur. I would think this is possible as well: The body doesn't recognize the first ovulation, or at least the first ovulation does not trigger menstruation for some reason, and a second ovulation occurs within the same cycle (ovulation on day 14, doesn't trigger any reaction, ovulation again on day 28, menstruation begins on day 42). This would of course be an irregular cycle, which is a funny name since it seems that almost half of cycles are "irregular" . My fiancee has had an irregular cycle that can be perfectly timed (28-32 days) or extra long (45 days to even 2 months). I would imagine that in such a long cycle, ovulation could occur multiple times.
Slappo Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 I've also heard on the rumor mill (since I don't in fact menstruate as a man), that due to high stress or other factors, a menstruation can be completely skipped even in someone that is fairly regular. I don't know what all this would entail as far as ovulation and all that but....
Nihil Obstat Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 [quote name='Slappo' date='24 September 2009 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1253822084' post='1972298'] I've also heard on the rumor mill (since I don't in fact menstruate as a man), that due to high stress or other factors, a menstruation can be completely skipped even in someone that is fairly regular. I don't know what all this would entail as far as ovulation and all that but.... [/quote] That would probably indicate that the endometrium never developed in the first place though. All that extra 'padding' would have to go somewhere otherwise. (That would mean no implantation in any case.)
StColette Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 [quote name='Slappo' date='24 September 2009 - 03:52 PM' timestamp='1253821944' post='1972296'] Well, menstruation doesn't begin until about 14 days after ovulation has occurred. [/quote] Not in all cases lol some cases ovulation can start occurring and menstruation not occur for several months. This can happen, especially if you're breastfeeding. My sister's fertility returned while breastfeeding but no menstruation for several months after fertility had already returned.
StColette Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 [quote name='Slappo' date='24 September 2009 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1253822084' post='1972298'] I've also heard on the rumor mill (since I don't in fact menstruate as a man), that due to high stress or other factors, a menstruation can be completely skipped even in someone that is fairly regular. I don't know what all this would entail as far as ovulation and all that but.... [/quote] Yes, stress can cause even a very regular cycle person to skip a period. Travel and illness can also cause menstruation to not occur.
Slappo Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 September 2009 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1253822946' post='1972302'] That would probably indicate that the endometrium never developed in the first place though. All that extra 'padding' would have to go somewhere otherwise. (That would mean no implantation in any case.) [/quote] Couldn't it develop and then not get flushed through the system until after the 2nd ovulation though Nihil?
Slappo Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 (edited) [quote name='StColette' date='24 September 2009 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1253823107' post='1972303'] Not in all cases lol some cases ovulation can start occurring and menstruation not occur for several months. This can happen, especially if you're breastfeeding. My sister's fertility returned while breastfeeding but no menstruation for several months after fertility had already returned. [/quote] The NFP class my fiancee and I are going through said the time between ovulation occurring and the beginning of menstruation is almost always the same (fluctuates maybe a day), and that it is the time between the beginning of menstruation and ovulation occurring that changes and can cause irregularly long cycles. Edited September 24, 2009 by Slappo
tinytherese Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 The female body can be so strange. I know because I've got one. I remember a couple of times when I menstruated way earlier than usual, once just 11 days after my last one. I won't have to worry about NFP for quite a while though. I don't even have a date.
CatherineM Posted September 24, 2009 Posted September 24, 2009 It's never too early to start charting for NFP. It's not just about preventing pregnancy, it is also about getting knowledge and getting in touch with your body. Kind of like tracking the gas mileage on a car. When something is wrong with it mechanically, that's often the first sign, lowered gas mileage. There are things that can negatively affect your fertility that start well before you're ready to marry.
StColette Posted September 25, 2009 Posted September 25, 2009 [quote name='tinytherese' date='24 September 2009 - 07:18 PM' timestamp='1253834301' post='1972410'] The female body can be so strange. I know because I've got one. I remember a couple of times when I menstruated way earlier than usual, once just 11 days after my last one. I won't have to worry about NFP for quite a while though. I don't even have a date. [/quote] I agree with Catherine, it's really good to chart even if you have no immediate plans for marriage or dating. It can help find problems that can often times go untreated or undiagnosed. Plus it'll be one last thing you have to worry about learning about when it comes time for marriage!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now