Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Worldly Television, Films, Series And Video Games Is Sinful


Recommended Posts

sacredheartandbloodofjesus
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' date='28 September 2009 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1254168109' post='1973887']
+J.M.J.+
"let your conscience be your guide"? :ohno: uhm, no. :P
[/quote]

Im not sure if this was directed at me or another or if it was just a joke but just in case, Just to clarify I'am deffinitly not backing the tremedously false doctrine of moral relativism. Im just saying that if something will lead you to the Truth(Jesus) and this something is good and not evil, then by all means do that. And yes you should let your conscience be your guide because the Catechism teaches that your conscience is the Voice of God.

Posted

i think this world has a lot to offer. also christ himself sure didnt shy from immersing himself in it, observing and helping sinners and all sorts of worldly things.

sure reading fantasy novels(not just lotr) may not get me into heaven, but it sure as hell isnt going to keep me out of it.
its starting to sound like only cloistered nuns, monks and the amish will get into heaven. :rolleyes:


dont know if you were talking to me there winchester bout "your thinking only republicans go to hell" but thats not what i think at all

sacredheartandbloodofjesus
Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='28 September 2009 - 03:12 PM' timestamp='1254168738' post='1973897']
i think this world has a lot to offer. also christ himself sure didnt shy from immersing himself in it, observing and helping sinners and all sorts of worldly things.

sure reading fantasy novels(not just lotr) may not get me into heaven, but it sure as hell isnt going to keep me out of it.
its starting to sound like only cloistered nuns, monks and the amish will get into heaven. :rolleyes:


dont know if you were talking to me there winchester bout "your thinking only republicans go to hell" but thats not what i think at all
[/quote]


Did you read my posts? I said he was not talking about this planet Earth but the "world" which in Jesus terms is the easy road to Hell. Observing and helping sinners is not called worldly by any Christian.
And neither did I call it worldly, please read my posts with sincerity and see where I am coming from.

Posted

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='28 September 2009 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1254168656' post='1973895']
Im not sure if this was directed at me or another or if it was just a joke but just in case, Just to clarify I'am deffinitly not backing the tremedously false doctrine of moral relativism. Im just saying that if something will lead you to the Truth(Jesus) and this something is good and not evil, then by all means do that. And yes you should let your conscience be your guide because the Catechism teaches that your conscience is the Voice of God.
[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
it was a joke. lighten up. besides, a grasshopper isn't God.
[img]http://blog.ecosmart.com/wp-content/j-crickett.jpg[/img]

Posted

Why would God create the world if he wanted everyone to hate everything in it?

Posted

It's got to be interpreted in context. And not delivered by a twit.

Posted

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1254162864' post='1973817']
He said ===worldly=== books and movies, video games ect.. And he is right to say nobody reading and watching these things can expect to get to heaven. Jesus said to hate the world and what it offers and that satan is the prince of this world. Now hes not talking about earth hes talking aBOUT THE SPIRIT OF THIS WORLD I.E violence, sex, vulgar language, and so on. Lord of the rings series wouldnt fall into any of these categories because its all based off of and teaches Catholic philosophy. So please try to understand where Hietanen is coming from.
[/quote]

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

Neither have you yet fully understood, or maybe I have expressed my self poorly. Lord of the Rings are definitively evil. Wizardry and magic,superpowers and fighting, this is just like with anime or other evil worldly movies and series, but worse still, since Lord of the Rings has a LOT of Catholic symbolism, its disguise itself in wolfs clothing, making people think, that just because its has catholic symbolism, that it would be right or even good for ones soul. Don't be deceived, satan is the prince of this world, and nothing more deceived and brainwashes people then evil media and video games and the worldly school system. Worldly moviesand series are not only dangerous from what it contains, but more sofrom what it produce in the soul. Lord of the rings is spiritual poison for the soul, it does not drag your mind toward Godly things but only toward the world. I can promise you that the books Saint Theresa was reading delighting in, was nothing even the least in comparison of the fantasy and evil of Lord of the rings.

The more unreal and the more fantasy a film or book is, the more your mind be fixed in trying to understand things outside of this world which is not, firstly, real, and secondly, which is not not of God, which clouds your mind even more against God, since God is neither of this world. To be able to unite with God in this life, we must empty ourself of all, not even thinking of anything of this world, being completely empty, this is how one starts to unite with God in this life. I cannot express this very well, read St. Johns of the Cross writings, it explains it all.

Posted

[quote name='Hietanen' date='28 September 2009 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1254172076' post='1973915']
...I have expressed my self poorly... [/quote]
Truer words, pal, truer words.


[quote]Lord of the Rings are definitively evil. [/quote]
And Credibility dies, choking to death on Cuckoo Pie.


We are officially in Crazy Land, where there are no dances at school and the monks put poison on the pages of funny books.

Posted

[quote name='Hietanen' date='28 September 2009 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1254172076' post='1973915']
sacredheartandbloodofjesus

Neither have you yet fully understood, or maybe I have expressed my self poorly. Lord of the Rings are definitively evil. Wizardry and magic,superpowers and fighting, this is just like with anime or other evil worldly movies and series, but worse still, since Lord of the Rings has a LOT of Catholic symbolism, its disguise itself in wolfs clothing, making people think, that just because its has catholic symbolism, that it would be right or even good for ones soul. Don't be deceived, satan is the prince of this world, and nothing more deceived and brainwashes people then evil media and video games and the worldly school system. Worldly moviesand series are not only dangerous from what it contains, but more sofrom what it produce in the soul. Lord of the rings is spiritual poison for the soul, it does not drag your mind toward Godly things but only toward the world. I can promise you that the books Saint Theresa was reading delighting in, was nothing even the least in comparison of the fantasy and evil of Lord of the rings.

The more unreal and the more fantasy a film or book is, the more your mind be fixed in trying to understand things outside of this world which is not, firstly, real, and secondly, which is not not of God, which clouds your mind even more against God, since God is neither of this world. To be able to unite with God in this life, we must empty ourself of all, not even thinking of anything of this world, being completely empty, this is how one starts to unite with God in this life. I cannot express this very well, read St. Johns of the Cross writings, it explains it all.
[/quote]
Do you have any authoritative basis for these allegations?
No St. John of the Cross. I want authoritative and explicit.

Posted

[quote name='Winchester' date='28 September 2009 - 03:12 PM' timestamp='1254172343' post='1973918']
Truer words, pal, truer words.



And Credibility dies, choking to death on Cuckoo Pie.

[/quote]


exactly.

Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='28 September 2009 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1254168738' post='1973897']
dont know if you were talking to me there winchester bout "your thinking only republicans go to hell" but thats not what i think at all
[/quote]
I know, you also save room for Andy Rooney fans.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus
Posted

[quote name='Hietanen' date='28 September 2009 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1254172076' post='1973915']
sacredheartandbloodofjesus

Neither have you yet fully understood, or maybe I have expressed my self poorly. Lord of the Rings are definitively evil. Wizardry and magic,superpowers and fighting, this is just like with anime or other evil worldly movies and series, but worse still, since Lord of the Rings has a LOT of Catholic symbolism, its disguise itself in wolfs clothing, making people think, that just because its has catholic symbolism, that it would be right or even good for ones soul. Don't be deceived, satan is the prince of this world, and nothing more deceived and brainwashes people then evil media and video games and the worldly school system. Worldly moviesand series are not only dangerous from what it contains, but more sofrom what it produce in the soul. Lord of the rings is spiritual poison for the soul, it does not drag your mind toward Godly things but only toward the world. I can promise you that the books Saint Theresa was reading delighting in, was nothing even the least in comparison of the fantasy and evil of Lord of the rings.

The more unreal and the more fantasy a film or book is, the more your mind be fixed in trying to understand things outside of this world which is not, firstly, real, and secondly, which is not not of God, which clouds your mind even more against God, since God is neither of this world. To be able to unite with God in this life, we must empty ourself of all, not even thinking of anything of this world, being completely empty, this is how one starts to unite with God in this life. I cannot express this very well, read St. Johns of the Cross writings, it explains it all.
[/quote]


I can understand this outlook if you havent the strength to be able to recognize the good philosophy and theology behind the symbols of LOTR, then you shouldnt read it. But remember that St. Johns Apocalypse is full of symbolism that seems like phantasy. You just have to be able to interpret it properly. I personally have never read LOTR, but Peter Kreeft(a very good and orthodox roman catholic philosopher) has spoken very well of the series.

By the way lil red [b]J[/b]imminy [b]C[/b]ricket. J.C. If thats what you were trying to express, I got it.

Posted

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='28 September 2009 - 03:43 PM' timestamp='1254174235' post='1973938']By the way lil red [b]J[/b]imminy [b]C[/b]ricket. J.C. If thats what you were trying to express, I got it.[/quote]
:blink: :wacko: :crazy: you've got to stop drinking outta the bottle marked crazy juice :drunk:

that's a joke. :mellow: btw.

Posted (edited)

I'm leaving.

Edited by Not A Mallard
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' date='28 September 2009 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1254169628' post='1973902']
+J.M.J.+
it was a joke. lighten up. besides, a grasshopper isn't God.
[img]http://blog.ecosmart.com/wp-content/j-crickett.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

You and I think too much alike sometimes. :mellow:


[quote name='Lil Red' date='28 September 2009 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1254177201' post='1973952']
:blink: :wacko: :crazy: you've got to stop drinking outta the bottle marked crazy juice :drunk:

that's a joke. :mellow: btw.
[/quote]
:pinch: :rolling:

perfectunion33
Posted

Faith in God, the only One, leads us to use everything that is not God only insofar as it brings us closer to Him, and to detach ourselves from it insofar as it turns us away from Him. (CCC-226) CCC meaning from the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

And what does Jesus and the Church have to say about the world?

This dramatic situation of "the whole world which is in power of the evil one" makes mans life a battle (CCC-409)

[i]"[/i]All iniquity is sin. And there is a sin unto death. We know that whosoever is born of God, sinneth not: but the generation of God preserveth him, and the wicked one toucheth him not. We know that we are of God, and [u]the whole world is seated in wickedness[/u]. And we know that the Son of God is come: and he hath given us understanding that we may know the true God, and may be in his true Son. This is the true God and life eternal." (1 John 5:17-20)

[i]"[/i]Again the devil took him up into a very high mountain, and [u]showed him all the kingdoms of the world[/u], and the glory of them, And said to him: All these will I give thee, if falling down thou wilt adore me. Then Jesus saith to him: Begone, Satan: for it is written, The Lord thy God shalt thou adore, and him only shalt thou serve." (Matt. 4:8-10)

[i]"[/i]And he that received the seed among thorns, is he that heareth the word, and the cares of this [u]world[/u] and the deceitfulness of riches choketh up the word, and he becometh fruitless." (Matt. 13:22)

"For what doth it profit a man, if he gain the whole [u]world[/u], and suffer the loss of his own soul? Or what exchange shall a man give for his soul?" (Matt. 16:26)

[i]"[/i]The [u]world[/u] cannot hate you; but me it hateth: because I give testimony of it, that the works thereof are evil." (John 7:7)

[i]"[/i]If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you. If you had been of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember my word that I said to you: The servant is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you: if they have kept my word, they will keep yours also. But all these things they will do to you for my name's sake: because they know not him who sent me. If I had not come, and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. He that hateth me, hateth my Father also. If I had not done among them the works that no other man hath done, they would not have sin; but now they have both seen and hated both me and my Father. But that the word may be fulfilled which is written in their law: They hated me without cause. But when the Paraclete cometh, whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceedeth from the Father, he shall give testimony of me. And you shall give testimony, because you are with me from the beginning. (John 15:18-27)These things have I spoken to you, that you may not be scandalized. They will put you out of the synagogues: yea, the hour cometh, that whosoever killeth you, will think that he doth a service to God. And these things will they do to you; because they have not known the Father, nor me. But these things I have told you, that when the hour shall come, you may remember that I told you of them. But I told you not these things from the beginning, because I was with you. And now I go to him that sent me, and none of you asketh me: Whither goest thou? But because I have spoken these things to you, sorrow hath filled your heart. But I tell you the truth: it is expedient to you that I go: for if I go not, the Paraclete will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. And when he is come, [u]he will convince the world of sin[/u], and of justice, and of judgment. Of sin: because they believed not in me. And of justice: because I go to the Father; and you shall see me no longer. "He will convince the world of sin"... The Holy Ghost, by his coming brought over many thousands, first, to a sense of their sin in not believing in Christ. Secondly, to a conviction of the justice of Christ, now sitting at the right hand of his Father. And thirdly, to a right apprehension of the judgment prepared for them that choose to follow Satan, who is already judged and condemned. And of judgment: because the prince of this world is already judged. I have yet many things to say to you: but you cannot bear them now. But when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he [u]will teach you all truth[/u]. For he shall not speak of himself; but what things soever he shall hear, he shall speak; and the things that are to come, he shall shew you. He shall glorify me; because he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it to you. All things whatsoever the Father hath, are mine. Therefore I said, that he shall receive of mine, and shew it to you." (John 16:1-15)





perfectunion33
Posted

It seems to me that the majority of those on phatmass have given themselves over to the spirit of the world and are no longer convicted of what is a sin or not. I observe on this site that many times people are awarded positive points for vain and sometimes sinful comments, while those who are faithful to the Truth's of the Faith are given negative points. This is a Catholic site, right, so then why is it that when someone tries to encourage one another to a higher level of sanctity, do you persecute them? St. Paul himself tells us to admonish and encourage one another in the Faith in order to lead each other closer to Jesus Christ. Is this a bad or good thing?

perfectunion33
Posted

The Truth is that the statements made have convicted you, which is a good thing, because conviction of the Truth and of sin is a Divine opperation of the Holy Spirit, which you all have received on the day of your Baptism. Jesus Himself said[i], "[/i]But I tell you the truth: it is expedient to you that I go: for if I go not, the Paraclete will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. And when he is come, [u]he will convince the world of sin[/u], and of justice, and of judgment." (John 16:7-8)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...