An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bible Study

Dusty Fro

Do Catholics go to Bible studies outside of church? I know one Catholic lady in my town who had one with her (large extended) family, but I want to know if this is a regular practice. Has your church ever arranged Bible studies in your community for parishoners

[url="http://www.focusonline.org"]Yeah check us out![/url]

Also I am a Bible study Leader.

The Liturgy of the Hours which has been chanted amongst us Benedictines for at least the last 1600 years is about 90 % Bible Goodness.

Have you ever heard of of Scott Hahn?

He converted himself through the Bible.

Edited by Theoketos

Laudate_Dominum

Yes, there are many Bible studies at the parishes around here. Emmaus Road Press publishes some great study materials for lay Catholics. Also Ignatius Press has their Bible with commentary that is being released, it has study questions and jazz, looks really good. :)

God bless.

yup

Peace of Christ, Ken

.. and wishing everyone a Grace filled Holy Week :D

Edited by KennC

Yes, our parish has one on the first and third Tuesdays of the month.

And there is a Scott Hahn online bible study studying the historical books of the OT, as well as the Gospels, Acts, and Revelations in the NT. When I get home, I can post the link (unless someone beats me to it).

phatcatholic

catholic exchange offers a bible study authored by scott hahn and mark shea. it comes w/ outlines, study notes, and review questions. my twin matt leads a bible study w/ this material for his parish and he's had nothing but awesome things to say about it. actually, his group is "group of the month" at the site where you can get more info.

go [url="http://css.catholicexchange.com/"][b]here[/b][/url]. scroll down to the very bottom to see my bro and his peeps.

anyway, the catholic exchange scripture study is the best one available, in my opinion. i mean, look who wrote it for cryin out loud.

The Newman club here at Penn State offers several Bible studies. As an aside, they are trying to impose a formal program on us, and my little community is happy the way it is, so we're going to secede from Newman and do our Bible study under the auspices of the Byzantine Catholic Student Ministry. Must be my traditionalist mentality at work here. :lol:

theculturewarrior

My parish offers a Bible study. But I usually go to Bible study at my friends house. :) Lots of fun, fellowship, etc., and you can safely drink the coolaid. ;)

[quote] As an aside, they are trying to impose a formal program on us, and my little community is happy the way it is, so we're going to secede from Newman and do our Bible study under the auspices of the Byzantine Catholic Student Ministry. Must be my traditionalist mentality at work here.[/quote]

Sounds rather Protestant to me, don't like the Catholic Church way, bail and start your own group...outside the CONTROL of the information Nazi's, huh?

Good for you. When I went to PSU, we were mostly into anti war rallies and all that. Religion didn't have any role, there was a Campus Crusade for Christ, but they were small, that is the only one I could recall from those tumultous times.

Phi Kappa Psi here.

Edited by Bruce S

[quote name='Bruce S' date='Apr 5 2004, 12:48 PM'] Sounds rather Protestant to me, don't like the Catholic Church way, bail and start your own group...outside the CONTROL of the information Nazi's, huh? [/quote]
Yeah, except the power we're resisting isn't God-ordained, we're still going to be members of the Newman club, the Newman leadership doesn't care that we're sitching affiliations, etc.

Btw, Campus Crusade for Christ is big, loud, and obnoxious these days.

[quote name='Hananiah' date='Apr 5 2004, 02:06 PM']

Btw, Campus Crusade for Christ is big, loud, and obnoxious these days. [/quote]
not here, you should see what we're doing on this campus. it's amazing.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]The Liturgy of the Hours which has been chanted amongst us Benedictines for at least the last 1600 years is about 90 % Bible Goodness.[/quote]

Lol...

I'm at a Benedictine-run seminary and I can second that statement!

Found the Scott Hahn link:

[url="http://www.kensmen.com/catholic/biblestudy.html"]http://www.kensmen.com/catholic/biblestudy.html[/url]