scardella Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='06 October 2009 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1254843568' post='1979145'] Sorry, I had a job doing that one time and I don't think upon it with fondness to say the least. haha. [/quote] Well... It's not like I've got a choice on the languages used...
Laudate_Dominum Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 [quote name='scardella' date='06 October 2009 - 12:35 PM' timestamp='1254846955' post='1979170'] Well... It's not like I've got a choice on the languages used... [/quote] Lol, same here, I was in it for the money. I was only teasing btw. I find it cool that you are a fellow coder.
CatherineM Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 [quote name='scardella' date='06 October 2009 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1254846955' post='1979170'] Well... It's not like I've got a choice on the languages used... [/quote] I learned Fortran and COBOL in college. I guess those aren't used anymore. I think I still have some punch cards buried somewhere.
scardella Posted October 7, 2009 Author Posted October 7, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' date='06 October 2009 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1254855592' post='1979316'] I learned Fortran and COBOL in college. I guess those aren't used anymore. I think I still have some punch cards buried somewhere. [/quote] They are still in use... Actually a good job these days is maintaining COBOL because all the old fluffy air extractions who know it are retiring and nobody's learning it in schools. A company my company is working with actually just sent me a COBOL file a week or two ago. Fortran is still used occasionally. Supposedly it's got really optimized math libraries and such. When I took it in school, I boasted that I was going to write Fivetran and beat the crud out of it. Of course, I wasn't serious.
Winchester Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 Everyone knows that the smaller the number, the faster. Fivetran was outmoded before it hit the public. Tran is supposed to show up sometime after 2012.
kamiller42 Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 [quote name='scardella' date='06 October 2009 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1254842980' post='1979133'] I write code. About 90% of it these days is not compiled... (SQL mostly, but also php) The rest is VB6 and soon C# .NET [/quote] I code Pascal using [url="http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi"]Delphi[/url]. Getting feet wet in .NET using [url="http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi-prism"]Delphi Prism[/url]. Father of Delphi created .NET and C#. I would try C#, but I'm not a fan of C style languages. SQL is a great language to know.
Laudate_Dominum Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 [quote name='kamiller42' date='07 October 2009 - 12:21 PM' timestamp='1254932464' post='1979886'] I code Pascal using [url="http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi"]Delphi[/url]. Getting feet wet in .NET using [url="http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi-prism"]Delphi Prism[/url]. Father of Delphi created .NET and C#. I would try C#, but I'm not a fan of C style languages. SQL is a great language to know. [/quote] .NET developers who don't know C# are second-class citizens.
Winchester Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 Here, nerds. Officespace references welcome. Now stop defiling the writer thread.
Laudate_Dominum Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' date='07 October 2009 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1254933923' post='1979914'] Here, nerds. Officespace references welcome. Now stop defiling the writer thread. [/quote] +1
goldenchild17 Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' date='07 October 2009 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1254933923' post='1979914']Now stop defiling the writer thread. [/quote] yes
kamiller42 Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='07 October 2009 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1254932909' post='1979894'] .NET developers who don't know C# are second-class citizens. [/quote] Ironic given the original intent of .NET was to erase language boundaries. I know C# because it's every where in .NET, but not proficient. I don't care if first or second class. It's as long as I can get things done. There are things the Prism language does better than C#, like class contracts. Sorry folks. Just talking machine languages here.
Winchester Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 Hey chuckles, I made a thread for your Cyberdyne systems terminator talk.
Laudate_Dominum Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 I mainly meant because it seems like Microsoft releases .NET-related documentation in C# (and then VB.NET and then maybe some other languages, but I say maybe). Plus the C# language seems to have more aggressive development, seems like they implement a new programming paradigm every year. You can call it a C style language cuz of the curly brackets, but it has aspects of all kinds of languages at this point.
Laudate_Dominum Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' date='07 October 2009 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1254946420' post='1980163'] Hey chuckles, I made a thread for your Cyberdyne systems terminator talk. [/quote] I'll split the posts somehow... 1 min.
kamiller42 Posted October 7, 2009 Posted October 7, 2009 Laudate_Dominum, The C parts of C# I do not like: 1) Case sensitivity. (That is so 1970s.) 2) Case sensitivity. (That is so 1970s.) 3) Curly braces. Begin-End reads so much more naturally and easier to format. 4) Looping syntax. Very C like. More powerful but contorted. 5) No declaration section. Pascal has section in a source file where types are declared. It is a great kind of table contents for the code that implements. C#'s work around is an IDE trick, collapsing code. I do applaud them for adopting Pascal's dot notation for objects.
Winchester Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='07 October 2009 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1254946895' post='1980175'] done [/quote] Thank you, Wesley.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now