An Old School Catholic Message Board

17 Lb, 4 Month Old Baby Denied Health Insurance

StColette

for Being Too Fat

Nothing brings a smile to an adult's face quicker than the sight of a happy, chubby baby.

But the sight of 4-month-old Alex Lange, who measures 25-inches long and weighs 17 pounds, is bringing a frown to the hypothetical face of insurance company Rocky Mountain Health Plans, The Denver Post reported on its Web site Monday.

Underwriters, the people who are in charge of assessing risk for insurance companies, have decided that baby Alex's pre-existing condition — obesity — makes him a high-risk patient and have denied him coverage.

more [url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,564501,00.html"]Here[/url]

Isn't overweight pretty much considered a good thing at that age?
I know I was pretty large after a few months, which was good, because I think I was a bit premature and small at first.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='12 October 2009 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1255386381' post='1984118']
+J.M.J.+
my baby was 20 lbs at 4 months.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was huge both when I was born and up until I started crawling and walking it all off. I was 10 lbs even at birth and around 19 at 4 months.

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='12 October 2009 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1255387394' post='1984127']
So do they have a baby diet they'd recommend? :wacko:
[/quote]

lol The parents laughed and said they'll be sure to give him Slimfast when he starts eating solids.

i watched a video about that and that little boy is just adorable!! so will his parents be able to get him insurance once he "thins" out?

[quote name='StColette' date='12 October 2009 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1255388691' post='1984145']
lol They parents laughed and said they'll be sure to give him Slimfast when he starts eating solids.
[/quote]
:lol:

Yeah I love how the insurance dude was like "You have to draw a line somewhere." That's crazy.

[quote name='loveletslive' date='12 October 2009 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1255388913' post='1984148']
i watched a video about that and that little boy is just adorable!! so will his parents be able to get him insurance once he "thins" out?
[/quote]

Well, he'll probably have a pre-existing waiting period even after he "thins" out. Once you've been labeled with a pre-existing condition its a pain to get an insurance company to insure you or insure you right away without having to go through a waiting period which sometimes can be an entire year before you'll actually be covered.

[quote name='StColette' date='12 October 2009 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1255385998' post='1984115']

Nothing brings a smile to an adult's face quicker than the sight of a happy, chubby baby.
[/quote]
That's a stereotype.

cmotherofpirl

The hysterical part is that the baby is [i]breastfed[/i][b][/b], its not like they are filling him with empty calories !!!!!!!!!!
They are totally and unequivocally idiots.

missionseeker

My brothers were all more than 10lbs when they were born. I guess they were born with a pre-existing condition. They are now tall and skinny...

This is crazy

[quote name='StColette' date='12 October 2009 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1255389258' post='1984153']
Maybe they should buy him one of these

[img]http://www.popgadget.net/images/kid_treadmill.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

:lol_pound:

I can't believe they make treadmills for kids.

Maybe they should get him a trampoline, too. :rolleyes: