An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent Weddings

Catholictothecore

Catholictothecore

A friend of mine is getting married and is planning for Dec. 10th, 2010. I think I heard somewhere that weddings can't happen during advent and be approved by the church. She wants to have a proper Catholic wedding but, like a lot of us, doesn't know everything. I told her I'd ask here.

So, what's the word?

[quote name='Catholictothecore' date='18 October 2009 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1255889841' post='1987335']
A friend of mine is getting married and is planning for Dec. 10th, 2010. I think I heard somewhere that weddings can't happen during advent and be approved by the church. She wants to have a proper Catholic wedding but, like a lot of us, doesn't know everything. I told her I'd ask here.

So, what's the word?
[/quote]

Weddings are allowed during the Advent season, though there are certain days during the Liturgical year (including during Advent) when a Nuptial Mass is not permitted.

The liturgical law of the Church (GIRM #330) says that Nuptial Masses are not permitted on certain days. Nuptial masses are not permitted on the Sundays of Advent, Lent and the Easter Season, on Holydays of Obligation, on days within the Octave of Easter, on All Souls’ Day, on Ash Wednesday, and during Holy Week.

One of the things that a couple getting married during Advent should keep in mind is that it is a penitential season. It is not yet Christmas and so couples should make sure that any decorations (flowers, etc.) that are used are appropriate for that season. The decorations in the Church should be very toned down for an Advent wedding since it's a penitential season. One little note of advice don't use poinsettias as they are far too much associated with Christmas time celebrations.