An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-Catholics And Communion

icelandic_iceskater

Archaeology cat

I found an [url="http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=28330"]article[/url]by Cardinal Rigali that speaks of one needing to believe what the Church teaches in order to receive the Eucharist.

[quote]"We're talking about the very life of the church when we're talking about the Eucharist and participation in the Eucharist," said Cardinal Rigali.

QUEBEC CITY (LifeSiteNews) - Cardinal Justin Rigali, the Archbishop of Philadelphia is in Quebec City for the International Eucharistic Congress - a week-long event focusing on the Catholic belief that Christ Himself is present in Holy Communion.

Cardinal Rigali, who is also the President of the Pro-Life Committee of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, discussed with LifeSiteNews.com the issue of worthiness to receive Communion in the context of Catholics who support abortion and same-sex "marriage", contrary to Church teaching.

"We're talking about the very life of the church when we're talking about the Eucharist and participation in the Eucharist," said Cardinal Rigali. "St. Paul tells us that anyone who receives the Eucharist must be prepared. This is the apostolic catechesis."

"St. Justin in the second century tells us: 'The only people who are to go to Communion are people who believe everything we believe'. So it's a question of our faith."

The Cardinal referenced St. Paul warning that, "Anyone that approaches the body of Christ has to examine himself to see where he stands, because if you're not worthy then you're heaping condemnation on yourself."

The Cardinal noted that there are "many people who are confused on the faith, many people are confused on the issue of life." That is why, he said, "the Church has been putting in so much effort to try to clarify the absolute necessity to support, to promote, to cherish human life, and not to do anything to destroy it."

"We invite people to come to the Eucharist," he said, "but we are constantly reminding them 'just a moment now' this belongs to our tradition - the Eucharist is not just something we just receive; it's the body of Christ."

"We have to accept the teachings on the body of Christ and we have to accept the teaching of the body of Christ, which is the Church, on other things to be fully worthy," he said.

While he said that the prime responsibility is that of the person to examine himself before God regarding his worthiness to receive Communion, Cardinal Rigali added that "obviously the Church has an obligation to safeguard the Eucharist against abuses."

"We teach children who prepare for first Holy Communion to be worthy, to be in the state of grace," he said. "That's what we tell everybody - you have to be in the state of grace."

He concluded: "To be in the state of grace you must embrace what the Church embraces, you have to embrace the faith of the Church, and you're not free to receive the Eucharist if you don't embrace the faith of the Church. This is St. Paul, this is St. Justin, this is the whole history of the Church." [/quote]

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='24 October 2009 - 07:15 AM' timestamp='1256382950' post='1990616']
I can understand where you're coming from, especially since the Methodist congregation I attended for a bit had the same view on communion that you have stated. But one must realise that when he partakes of the Eucharist in the Catholic Church, he is effectively saying that he agrees completely with what the Church teaches AFAIK. With that understanding, to partake of the Eucharist and not submit to the Church's teachings would be, in effect, dishonest.
[/quote]

This is what my grandmother (practicing Methodist; baptized Baptist) has an issue with when I discussed the topic with her. When she's attended functions at our Church (First Communions, especially), my mom made sure to explain to her that while participation in the Mass was allowed (and encouraged), Communion was only allowed for Catholics. My grandmother told me that in her church, communion was allowed to anyone, regardless of their baptismal status, and she disagreed with the topic that only Catholics are allowed to partake of communion in our Church. I tried to explain as best I could that our Communion is different, to which she replied, "How so?" with a confused expression on her face. I told her, politely:

'We believe that the Eucharist is not only a symbol of Christ's Body and Blood, but also the True Presence of Christ in the Catholic Church on the altar.'

She didn't get that at all. She's been a lifelong Protestant, so she's never been exposed to Catholic catechism. I do my best to explain the topic whenever it comes up, but sometimes, I feel like I don't have all the answers, and that makes her more confused. <_<

ChildoftheCreator

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='24 October 2009 - 07:15 AM' timestamp='1256382950' post='1990616']
I can understand where you're coming from, especially since the Methodist congregation I attended for a bit had the same view on communion that you have stated. But one must realise that when he partakes of the Eucharist in the Catholic Church, he is effectively saying that he agrees completely with what the Church teaches AFAIK. With that understanding, to partake of the Eucharist and not submit to the Church's teachings would be, in effect, dishonest.
[/quote]

No, no, no. I completely agree with you. I was trying to give the viewpoint of people I have met, and a reason for that viewpoint. In the congregation that my family and I attend now, most people think that it is horrible that the Catholic Church would not let people go up for communion, which is due to the viewpoint they are coming from. I read an article a year ago in a Lutheran magazine written about this very issue, and how it made the author feel when she attended a Catholic wedding and wasn't allowed to receive the Sacrament. They are really, really into outward signs of unity without first having the inward unity. For example, the Lutheran church officially teaches that the body and blood of Jesus is in and with the bread and wine, but I would have a hard time believing if 10% of the congregation actually believes this.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='ChildoftheCreator' date='24 October 2009 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1256383885' post='1990620']
No, no, no. I completely agree with you. I was trying to give the viewpoint of people I have met, and a reason for that viewpoint. In the congregation that my family and I attend now, most people think that it is horrible that the Catholic Church would not let people go up for communion, which is due to the viewpoint they are coming from. I read an article a year ago in a Lutheran magazine written about this very issue, and how it made the author feel when she attended a Catholic wedding and wasn't allowed to receive the Sacrament. They are really, really into outward signs of unity without first having the inward unity. For example, the Lutheran church officially teaches that the body and blood of Jesus is in and with the bread and wine, but I would have a hard time believing if 10% of the congregation actually believes this.
[/quote]
Gotcha - sorry for misunderstanding. I know exactly what you mean, though. My Methodist SIL was very offended at not being able to receive the Eucharist at my wedding, and even more offended when the priest said that only Catholics could receive. Since I'm a convert, most of the people there weren't Catholic, so the priest felt it best to charitably say something before Communion.

Yet there are anomalies in practice.

Pope John Paul 2 gave communion personally and before anyone else to Brother Roger, founder of Taize, who was not either Catholic or a priest.

Padre Pio also frequently gave communion to non-Catholics.

Here also many priests will do the same with non-Catholics.

In Canon Law, there is provision; as someone posted above the word used is "ordinarily". There is a section in Canon Law that says this also. ( forgive please lack of exact clauses; windstorm here and time online is limited)

To see this more... spiritually... what is, is. Belief or non-belief does not alter reality. Nor can disbelief desecrate what is.

icelandic_iceskater

hmm... interesting... ^^^ Do you know if these non-catholics talked to the priest beforehand about receiving communion?

[quote name='CatherineM' date='23 October 2009 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1256320951' post='1990318']
Also think about what the word Communion means. It comes from the Latin word for mutual participation. If you are not "in communion" with the Catholic Church, what she believes and teaches, you shouldn't participate in our communion, and probably wouldn't want to.
[/quote]
ahhh this kinda makes sense. But I'm still a little confused. If a person believed in all that the church teaches and had no mortal sin on their soul, could they justly receive communion? I suppose that could be a cause for scandal if others attending the mass knew you were not catholic, but what if they didn't know that?

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' date='24 October 2009 - 01:55 PM' timestamp='1256410521' post='1990727']
hmm... interesting... ^^^ Do you know if these non-catholics talked to the priest beforehand about receiving communion?

ahhh this kinda makes sense. But I'm still a little confused. If a person believed in all that the church teaches and had no mortal sin on their soul, could they justly receive communion? I suppose that could be a cause for scandal if others attending the mass knew you were not catholic, but what if they didn't know that?
[/quote]

Knowingly and willingly choosing to remain outside of the Church is a grave sin...

little_miss_late

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' date='24 October 2009 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1256410521' post='1990727']
If a person believed in all that the church teaches and had no mortal sin on their soul, could they justly receive communion? I suppose that could be a cause for scandal if others attending the mass knew you were not catholic, but what if they didn't know that?
[/quote]

If you believe in all the church teaches why wouldn't you accept that you shouldn't receive?

I am in RCIA. I don't take communion. I would get sad about this if I thought about it too much, but I know that there is a process in place that is the will of God and the Church. So that's three things (God's will, the teachings of the church, the process that is put in place by the church through God) that are more important than what I want.

I guess I don't see where someone would "believe in all the church teaches" but also think that he can make this call for himself.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' date='24 October 2009 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1256410521' post='1990727']

[/quote]
Iceland if they are not catholic and so they can't go to confession and have no way to remove mortal sin, how could they be in a state of grace to go to Communion?

icelandic_iceskater

Not everyone is in a state of mortal sin: not everyone has full knowledge or consent. ^^^

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='24 October 2009 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1256419214' post='1990783']
Knowingly and willingly choosing to remain outside of the Church is a grave sin...
[/quote]
ooh good point. but what about people in RCIA?

Yes Rome has spoken, the case is closed, and anyone intending to enter the CC ought to accept that. But not all questioning non-catholics are going to take that as a good enough reason to refrain from communion...

A rough analogy, but one that I think is a rather good one, is that the very (very very) rare moments when a non Catholic non Orthodox can receive Communion from a Catholic is similar to an act of perfect contrition being made as one lays dying. Very rare, requires a lot from the person involved, and not at all the ideal form, but possible.

Indeed yes.

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' date='24 October 2009 - 01:55 PM' timestamp='1256410521' post='1990727']

[/quote]