An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies With Christian Themes (Thread From 2005)

kateri05

howdy pham [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
so i'm looking for movies to show to my vocations class and my sacraments class. i've searched through the USCCB top ten and keyword searches in the IMDB and have come up with the following thus far:

Baptism: Ten Commandments or Prince of Egypt

Christian Dating: Return to Me (i think) and Walk to Remember (i :love: that movie AND it shows the end of dating is marriage)

anyone have any suggestions for all the other sacraments and any kind of vocations? :idontknow: or somewhere that has movie suggestions for scripture or something?

thanks pham for helping me educate and entertain our catholic youth [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img] :saint:

Christian movies, yummm.

Most popluar I can think of are The Passion of the Christ, The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

go here:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat_id/308"]http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat_id/308[/url]

now, who hooked u up? :cool:

Laudate_Dominum

"A Man For All Seasons"

"All Dogs Go To Heaven" (hehe j/k)

"Robin Hood" (the cartoon version, where Robin is a fox and Friar Tuck is super cool)

:D:

The Trouble with Angels isn't bad either (especially because it's funny and portrays religious life in a positive life).

For a secular movie, Spiderman 2 parallels vocation, too.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='jgirl' date='Sep 17 2005, 07:18 AM']For a secular movie, Spiderman 2 parallels vocation, too.
[right][snapback]726826[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So does Star Wars. :punk:

Luke was basically "called" to become a Jedi. And it shows that we're supposed to give of ourselves for others, sometimes even literally giving a hand. (ouch)
Darth Vader pretty much shows what happens when you abandon your calling and give youself over to evil.

Good stuff. :)

[quote name='kateri05' date='Sep 17 2005, 02:42 AM']howdy pham :)
  so i'm looking for movies to show to my vocations class and my sacraments class.  i've searched through the USCCB top ten and keyword searches in the IMDB and have come up with the following thus far:

Baptism: Ten Commandments or Prince of Egypt

Christian Dating: Return to Me (i think) and Walk to Remember (i :love: that movie AND it shows the end of dating is marriage)

anyone have any suggestions for all the other sacraments and any kind of vocations?   :idontknow:   or somewhere that has movie suggestions for scripture or something?

thanks pham for helping me educate and entertain our catholic youth  ;)  :saint:
[right][snapback]726753[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The best vocations movie I can think of is [i]The Cardinal[/i]. It is a fantastic movie. It chronicles the life of a priest from seminary to elevation to the cardinalate.

You could also show [i]Song of Bernadette[/i] and [i]Shoes of the Fisherman[/i]. Finally, [i]Scarlet and the Black[/i] is a great movie.

Yeah, I was going to mention [i]Song of Bernadette[/i]...

Also, [i]Lilies of the Field[/i] was a good movie. I can't remember the story exactly, but it's got Sidney Poitier working and a handyman with a group of German nuns to build a... something (orphanage? school? something... I don't remember-- Ah! a chapel) Anyway, I remember liking it because i like nuns. I saw it many, many years ago, though.

Lilo and Stitch (family)
Finding Nemo (family)
Simpsons (Homer the Heretic episode)(Nature of God)
101 Dalmations (sanctity of life)
Cheaper by the Dozen (family)

So many good movies so little time

Funny you should mention Cheaper by the Dozen. Both versions are good, but they have diffent takes on the same theme. You should note that in the modern one, the oldest daughter is shacking up with her boyfriend (a fact I forgot until I was sitting in the theater with my kids.  :blush: )

The original has a wonderful scene attacking Planned Parenthood-- by name. :)

Edited to mess things up... Ooops

Edited by homeschoolmom

Yours, Mine and Ours

All about family, very pro-life (with 18 kids, you kind of have to be...). My all time favorite movie quote comes from that movie.

"It's giving life that counts. Until you're ready for it, all the rest is a big fraud. All the crazy haircuts in the world won't keep it turning. Life isn't a love it, it's the dishes and the orthodontist and the shoe repairman and ground round instead of roast beef. And I'll tell you something else, it isn't going to bed with him that proves you're in love with a man, it's getting up in the morning and facing the drab, miserable, wonderful, everyday world with him that counts." ~Frank Beardsley

(Thanks for giving me another reason to share that quote!)

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Sep 17 2005, 07:15 AM']"A Man For All Seasons"

"Robin Hood" (the cartoon version, where Robin is a fox and Friar Tuck is super cool) [right][snapback]726825[/snapback][/right][/quote]
Both great films. :cool:

[quote name='Cam42' date='Sep 17 2005, 07:59 AM'][i]Scarlet and the Black[/i] is a great movie.
[right][snapback]726836[/snapback][/right][/quote]
Another great film.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 17 2005, 08:07 AM']lso, [i]Lilies of the Field[/i] was a good movie. I can't remember the story exactly, but it's got Sidney Poitier working and a handyman with a group of German nuns to build a... something (orphanage? school? something... I don't remember-- Ah! a chapel) Anyway, I remember liking it because i like nuns. I saw it many, many years ago, though.[right][snapback]726843[/snapback][/right][/quote]
They wanted him to build a "shappel," that is, a chapel. It's an excellent movie! I definitely recommend that one.

[url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057251/"]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057251/[/url]

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 17 2005, 08:29 AM']Funny you should mention Cheaper by the Dozen. Both versions are good, but they have diffent takes on the same theme. You should note that in the modern one, the oldest daughter is shacking up with her boyfriend (a fact I forgot until I was sitting in the theater with my kids.  :blush: )

The original has a wonderful scene attacking Planned Parenthood-- by name. :)[right][snapback]726860[/snapback][/right][/quote]
Yeah, the original version is better, although I liked the second one, too.

[quote name='MissScripture' date='Sep 17 2005, 10:25 AM']Yours, Mine and Ours

All about family, very pro-life (with 18 kids, you kind of have to be...). My all time favorite movie quote comes from that movie.

"It's giving life that counts. Until you're ready for it, all the rest is a big fraud. All the crazy haircuts in the world won't keep it turning. Life isn't a love it, it's the dishes and the orthodontist and the shoe repairman and ground round instead of roast beef. And I'll tell you something else, it isn't going to bed with him that proves you're in love with a man, it's getting up in the morning and facing the drab, miserable, wonderful, everyday world with him that counts." ~Frank Beardsley

(Thanks for giving me another reason to share that quote!)
[right][snapback]726919[/snapback][/right][/quote]
Haha, I love that quote (and that movie). That's another great one!