An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies With Christian Themes (Thread From 2005)

kateri05

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 17 2005, 09:21 AM']Lilo and Stitch (family)
Finding Nemo (family)
Simpsons (Homer the Heretic episode)(Nature of God)
101 Dalmations (sanctity of life)
Cheaper by the Dozen (family)

So many good movies so little time
[right][snapback]726856[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What do those have to do with vocations or Sacraments?

If you're looking to entertain a teenage crowd, there is one movie that I highly recommend. It's called "Extreme Days"...about a group of teenagers who basically take a road trip and do random extreme sports along the way. It is soooo hilarious, has an obvious Christian theme in it, (*gasp* they actually talk about God!), has no bad language, and also has amazing music in it.

I dunno if that helps at all, but just thought I'd add that to the list cause it's a favorite of mine. :)

Napolean Dynamite.

It's tres deep when you really think about it. And Pedro's catholic. And yeah... it's awesome. No sacraments though...

Oh, and Anthony: Gods Warrior when it comes out. Thats gonna be SWEET.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 17 2005, 09:29 AM']The original has a wonderful scene attacking Planned Parenthood-- by name. :)

Edited to mess things up... Ooops
[right][snapback]726860[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Really?! I want to see that! :D:

What about [i]Life is Beautiful[/i]? Or would they not go for a film entirely in Italian?

Also, (w/ caveats) what about [i]Play It Forward[/i]? I watched that last night and it's got a good theme to it. Becuase of the life situation of the people portrayed, I wouldn't recommend it for an immature audience < 14 or so.

Laudate_Dominum

"The Passion of the Christ", for teaching about the Eucharist and the Sacrifice of the Mass. (can be worked into everything really)

[quote name='Raphael' date='Sep 17 2005, 01:02 PM']Really?!  I want to see that! :D:
[right][snapback]727052[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh, yeah... It's awesome. A woman comes to the door to request that Mrs. Gilbreth (the matriarch and noted public speaker) assist in the founding of the local chapter of Planned Parenthood. She is asked to speak on... the importance of birth control. I won't spoil it for you, but it's really funny... A great movie and a true story. :)

The way it happens in the book is that someone refers Mrs. Mebane (the representative of national birth control organization) to Mrs. Bruce, Mother's best friend and mother of the second largest family in Montclair (8 children), as someone who might be interested in starting a local chapter. Mrs. Bruce states that she has several children and so it wouldn't be appropriate for her to head a local chapter, but refers Mrs. Mebane to Mother as "civic minded, career woman, and – most important of all – a large house", and even an organizer.
When Mrs. Mebane goes to the GIlbreth house and Mother learns that Mrs. Bruce recommended her, she mentions, somewhat astonished, that Mrs. Bruce already has 8 children. Mrs. Mebane goes into shock,
(“My God” she said. “Not really.”
Mother nodded.
“How perfectly frightful. She impressed me as quite normal. Not at all like an eight-child woman.”) but then rallies at the thought of the desperate need for their work this was evidence of (“Think of it, living right here within eighteen miles of our national birth control headquarters in New York City, and her having eight children. Yes, there’s work to be done, Mrs. Gilbreth, and that’s why I’m here.”). She then asks Mother to spearhead a local chapter, and Mother decides that Dad would never forgive her if she didn't call him in. As she brought him to her she briefed him, and he greeted her with an “It’s a pleasure to meet a woman in such a noble cause” , which rather surprised her because most men weren't that into it. Then as she started getting into a schpeel on how birth control is so needed because children are horrible for women, Dad whistled Assembly (i.e., all the children have to assemble as quickly as possible), and Mrs. Mebane almost had a heart attack when she realized that they were all theirs, not an orphanage, and they had, let me see, twelve children?
As Dad said, "How revolting. And within eighteen miles of national headquarters, too."

Edited by Maria

[quote name='Maria' date='Sep 17 2005, 07:47 PM']The way it happens in the book.... [right][snapback]727774[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yep, movie too.

As for movies, I can't stand The Scarlet and the Black anymore because of the way it portrays Puis, and I can't stand Quo Vadis for the sickly sweet version of Christianity it portrays. I found Lilies of the Field fun (esp. the way they communicated to each other using scripture verses). I like La Vita è bella, but I don't see that it's really a religious movie. I'm all for TPOC. I didn't know there was a movie of The Cardinal, but I really liked the book. I don't remember A Man For All Seasons and Song of Bernadette well enough to say anything about them.
Well, I guess I'm just hard to please.

AlterDominicus

Movies? how about the really well related ones:

The Sound of Music
Bells of Saint Mary's
The Singing Nun
Therese
Saint Bernadette of Lourds
Agnes of God
The Nun's Story
Sister Act I & 2
Flying Nun
The Nun
Nun
Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows
The Passion of Christ
Joan of Ark
*AND MANY MORE*

And the worst most offensive movie I have ever heard of and review "The Killer Nun" I dispise it, therefore will never watch it.

some of these suggestions are great , thanks :) song of berndaette is a great one, i love that movie. i'm gonan look into lilies of the field. sound of music, although a movie i love, i don't think would work because i want to show the girls embracing the vocation of religious life and maria ends up married. even tho its portrayed totally positively, i don't want to give them more reasons to think being a nun isn't for them. as for the passion, too intense, they aren't ready for it yet (my girls anyways)

what are the scarlet and the black about?

any other suggestions for sacraments?

thanks pham! :D:

Scarlet and the Black is about an Irish Priest (Gregory Peck) at the Vatican during WWII. He and several other people set up and underground railroad of sorts to house Allied soldiers who have been caught behind enemy lines. Officially, the Vatican cannot do anything to help the soldiers. At the same time, the head of the SS (Christopher Plummer) makes several attempts to track down these soldiers and the people involved in hiding them. All the while, war rages on and the SS officer's guilty conscience weighs him down. I won't give away the powerful ending, but it's really good.

Also, I'd recommend the Trouble with Angels.