An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies With Christian Themes (Thread From 2005)

kateri05

Lets see....
baptism, check.
marriage, check.
Holy Orders, check.
Eucharist, check?

so, we've got left
confession
confirmation
sacrament of the sick....

hrm...
- I'm not so sure you're going to find something good for confirmation... best I can think of is some sort of "coming of age" movie?
- for confession, I know there's a scene in Godfather III, but I don't think it'd be appropriate. I'm sure there has to be some sort of "dying man makes peace w/ God or family" type movie.

How about this one:
[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000D0YWI/103-5945461-0094253?v=glance"]Miracle at Moreaux[/url]

It's about nuns running a school during WW2 and they help some Jewish children excape the Nazis. It's a family movie-- ie not violent. It's short (not even an hour) because it was produced for television.

AlterDominicus

[quote name='kateri05' date='Sep 17 2005, 11:17 PM']both of those look really good.... now i'm just desperate for sacramental movies :detective:
[right][snapback]728123[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My sister-in-law works as a manager of a video store, I am getting two of the ones I want.

The Singing Nun (Mostly because I PROMISED before I became a Dominican, I promised myself that I would learn that song on my guitar = "Dominique" :sweat: :D: )

And the Bells of Sain Mary's (I love that movie)

By the way, thanks for bringing up the Song of Bernadette. I've been dying to see that, it was one TV the other night a long time ago, but I stopped watching it in the beginning since I had to go somewhere.

Then there's [url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003CXBH/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_asin/103-5945461-0094253?v=glance"]The Mission[/url] :priest: :priest:

I Confess. It's about a priest who hears the the confession of a murder of a man who had some dirt on the priest that might've caused him to be kicked out of the priesthood.

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Maria' date='Sep 17 2005, 08:59 PM']As for movies, I can't stand The Scarlet and the Black anymore because of the way it portrays Puis, and I can't stand Quo Vadis for the sickly sweet version of Christianity it portrays. I found Lilies of the Field fun (esp. the way they communicated to each other using scripture verses). I like La Vita è bella, but I don't see that it's really a religious movie. I'm all for TPOC. I didn't know there was a movie of The Cardinal, but I really liked the book. I don't remember A Man For All Seasons and Song of Bernadette well enough to say anything about them.
Well, I guess I'm just hard to please.
[right][snapback]727810[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It doesn't portray Pope Pius in a bad light... only on the surface. He was a man with a TON of responsibility. He makes good points as to why he cannot do what Monsignor O'Flaherty does to help out-- He cannot compromise the Vatican!

... if you could only imagine the horrible loss (even to O'Flaherty's ministry!) if the Vatican was taken over and invaded by the Nazis. Monsignor would've been executed right off the bat, as well as anyone around him. It would've been the end of him.

Pius' actions, though seemingly cold and harsh were in actuality very tactful and smooth. He did what he needed to do, and in his doing that, he did a wealth of good for those under attack by the Nazis.

[quote name='Maria' date='Sep 17 2005, 07:59 PM']As for movies, I can't stand The Scarlet and the Black anymore because of the way it portrays Puis, and I can't stand Quo Vadis for the sickly sweet version of Christianity it portrays. I found Lilies of the Field fun (esp. the way they communicated to each other using scripture verses). I like La Vita è bella, but I don't see that it's really a religious movie. I'm all for TPOC. I didn't know there was a movie of The Cardinal, but I really liked the book. I don't remember A Man For All Seasons and Song of Bernadette well enough to say anything about them.
Well, I guess I'm just hard to please.
[right][snapback]727810[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, a lot of the sickly sweet stuff in Quo Vadis was due to the fact that it is also a romance story. If you read the book there's a lot about trusting in God, forgiveness, and giving of self.

Officially, Pius XII couldn't do a whole lot anyway. There were some bishops that condemned the Nazis early on, but they were immediately arrested and put into concentration camps by the Nazis. Also, an uneasy truce had been between the Vatican and the Nazi's in Rome that they wouldn't step inside of the Vatican.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Sep 17 2005, 07:18 AM']The Trouble with Angels isn't bad either (especially because it's funny and portrays religious life in a positive life).
[right][snapback]726826[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oooooooooh I love that movie!

The reason I can't stand the way it portrays Puis is because it shows him as a coward who didn't do anything (for good reasons, admittedly), whereas in reality he was anything but a coward, diplomatically slighted the Nazis every chance he got, publicly spoke out against war crimes, privately encouraged people like Msrg. O'Flaherty to hide Jews and help them escape, etc. Basically he was much more courageous than the movie makes out. In the movie his character seems spineless.

• 6 years later...

[quote name='scardella' timestamp='1127020180' post='728202']
- for confession, I know there's a scene in Godfather III, but I don't think it'd be appropriate. I'm sure there has to be some sort of "dying man makes peace w/ God or family" type movie.
[/quote]

Yes, I was thinking of "Godfather: Part III" as well. The whole movie is about a man seeking redemption, and the best religious quote of the movie was where Cardinal Lamberto picked up a stone from the fountain, smashed it, and showed how the interior was all dry, and compared it to modern Eurpoean man, saying that for centuries they have been surrounded by Christianity, but "Christ has not penetrated".

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1328504516' post='2382041']
Just so you know...I am watching Rocko's Modern Life. :|
[/quote]

necrobumping is a mortal sin. be sure you go to confession this weekend