An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can We Eat Meat (Eid Al-Adha)?

CatholicWing

I would like to know that as Muslim’s feast Eid al-Adha is coming very soon and Muslims sacrifice animals on the feast. They distribute of meat of a traditionally sacrificed animal to the poor.
So my questions are these:-
Can we Christian eat meat which Muslims sacrifice animals?
What Bible says about it?
What Vatican or Canon Law tell us?

Edited by CatholicWing

[quote name='CatholicWing' date='26 November 2009 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1259289179' post='2009966']
I would like to know that as Muslim's feast Eid al-Adha is coming very soon and Muslims sacrifice animals on the feast. They distribute of meat of a traditionally sacrificed animal to the poor.
So my questions are these:-
Can we Christian eat meat which Muslims sacrifice animals?
What Bible says about it?
What Vatican or Canon Law tell us?
[/quote]

This should be applicable.

1 Corinthians 10:18-32

18. Look at Israel according to the flesh; are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar?

19 So what am I saying? That meat sacrificed to idols is anything? Or that an idol is anything?

20 No, I mean that what they sacrifice, (they sacrifice) to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to become participants with demons.

21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and also the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and of the table of demons.

22 Or are we provoking the Lord to jealous anger? Are we stronger than he?

23 "Everything is lawful," but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is lawful," but not everything builds up.

24 No one should seek his own advantage, but that of his neighbor.

25 Eat anything sold in the market, without raising questions on grounds of conscience, 26 for "the earth and its fullness are the Lord's."

27 If an unbeliever invites you and you want to go, eat whatever is placed before you, without raising questions on grounds of conscience.

28 But if someone says to you, "This was offered in sacrifice," do not eat it on account of the one who called attention to it and on account of conscience;

29 I mean not your own conscience, but the other's. For why should my freedom be determined by someone else's conscience?

30 If I partake thankfully, why am I reviled for that over which I give thanks?

31 So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

32 Avoid giving offense, whether to Jews or Greeks or the church of God

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='26 November 2009 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1259290163' post='2009973']

18. Look at Israel according to the flesh; are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar?

19 So what am I saying? That meat sacrificed to idols is anything? Or that an idol is anything?

20 No, I mean that what they sacrifice, (they sacrifice) to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to become participants with demons.

21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and also the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and of the table of demons.

23 "Everything is lawful," but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is lawful," but not everything builds up.

25 Eat anything sold in the market, without raising questions on grounds of conscience, 26 for "the earth and its fullness are the Lord's."

27 If an unbeliever invites you and you want to go, eat whatever is placed before you, without raising questions on grounds of conscience.

28 But if someone says to you, "This was offered in sacrifice," do not eat it on account of the one who called attention to it and on account of conscience;

29 I mean not your own conscience, but the other's. For why should my freedom be determined by someone else's conscience?

31 So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

[/quote]

Thanks for your comments but what you think about these verses:

Romans
Chapter 14

1 Welcome anyone who is weak in faith, but not for disputes over opinions.
One person believes that one may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables.
The one who eats must not despise the one who abstains, and the one who abstains must not pass judgment on the one who eats; for God has welcomed him.

and then

Romans
Chapter 14

I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; still, it is unclean for someone who thinks it unclean.

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of food and drink, but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the holy Spirit;

Edited by CatholicWing

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='26 November 2009 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1259290163' post='2009973']

[/quote]
Vatican II's Lumen Gentium claims that Muslims worship the same God as Christians. Therefore the analogy fails.

The meat isn't sacraficed to Muhammad but to Allah.

[quote name='Hassan' date='26 November 2009 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1259292945' post='2009992']
Vatican II's Lumen Gentium claims that Muslims worship the same God as Christians. Therefore the analogy fails.

[/quote]

Can you give me any reference from Vatican II's, please?

[quote name='CatholicWing' date='26 November 2009 - 10:45 PM' timestamp='1259293525' post='2009996']
[/quote]
[i]16. Finally, those who have not yet received the Gospel are related in various ways to the people of God.(18*) In the first place we must recall the people to whom the testament and the promises were given and from whom Christ was born according to the flesh.(125) On account of their fathers this people remains most dear to God, for God does not repent of the gifts He makes nor of the calls He issues.(126); But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Mohamedans, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind. Nor is God far distant from those who in shadows and images seek the unknown God, for it is He who gives to all men life and breath and all things,(127) and as Saviour wills that all men be saved.(128) Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience.(19*) Nor does Divine Providence deny the helps necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God and with His grace strive to live a good life. Whatever good or truth is found amongst them is looked upon by the Church as a preparation for the Gospel.(20*) She knows that it is given by Him who enlightens all men so that they may finally have life. But often men, deceived by the Evil One, have become vain in their reasonings and have exchanged the truth of God for a lie, serving the creature rather than the Creator.(129) Or some there are who, living and dying in this world without God, are exposed to final despair. Wherefore to promote the glory of God and procure the salvation of all of these, and mindful of the command of the Lord, "Preach the Gospel to every creature",(130) the Church fosters the missions with care and attention.[/i]
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='26 November 2009 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1259294046' post='2010001']
Any sacrifices besides the Sacrifice of the Cross and the unbloody renewal of that Sacrifice are now considered to be false worship.
[/quote]

I am not talking about sacrifice or worship...........
I just need to know is it valid if we eat meat of sacrifice animals........
So please do not change the topic. Please don't mind it.

[quote name='Hassan' date='26 November 2009 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1259292945' post='2009992']

[/quote]

The hesitancy of the original querent is answered in that scripture verse, whether or not the Mahometans sacrifice to a God about whom they have a flawed (not merely incomplete) understanding.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='CatholicWing' date='26 November 2009 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1259293525' post='2009996']
[/quote]

Lumen Gentium was a Vatican II document.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='CatholicWing' date='26 November 2009 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1259292842' post='2009990']
Thanks for your comments but what you think about these verses:

Romans
Chapter 14

1 Welcome anyone who is weak in faith, but not for disputes over opinions.
One person believes that one may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables.
The one who eats must not despise the one who abstains, and the one who abstains must not pass judgment on the one who eats; for God has welcomed him.

and then

Romans
Chapter 14

I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; still, it is unclean for someone who thinks it unclean.

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of food and drink, but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the holy Spirit;
[/quote]
I believe, but am likely wrong, that these verses are referring moreso to the obsolescence of the OT dietary laws, whereas the previous ones were referring to sacrificed animals.

[quote name='CatholicWing' date='26 November 2009 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1259294368' post='2010009']
I am not talking about sacrifice or worship...........
I just need to know is it valid if we eat meat of sacrifice animals........
So please do not change the topic. Please don't mind it.
[/quote]
Sacrifice concerns not only the death of the thing in question, but its consumption.

I would avoid anything that has been sacrificed by the followers of a false religion, whether one is talking about Islam, Hinduism, or any other cult.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='27 November 2009 - 01:55 AM' timestamp='1259301338' post='2010133']
Sacrifice concerns not only the death of the thing in question, but its consumption.

I would avoid anything that has been sacrificed by the followers of a false religion, whether one is talking about Islam, Hinduism, or any other cult.
[/quote]

Especially anything offered to a Rastafarian deity. It will probably smell like stale oregano and B.O.

~Sternhauser

We need a Vatican III to fix the problems from Vatican II. I abstain from eating meat on Friday's as the Vatican II does not state you should eat meat but can.

As for sharing the same God as the satanic muslims, I think not. Because they claim Abraham, does equate to the same God or the execution of His teachings. I believe in God the father, not Allah the murderer.