An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patron Saints 2010

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
I sent this to some of you on facebook, but for anyone else that is interested in having the Holy Spirit pick a saint for you:

I came across a beautiful Catholic devotion recently, one that I want to do for you all. Basically the idea is that I would put together saints names in a basket, and pull one for anyone who wants one. I've selected this year saints in connection to youth, saints in connection to the Year for Priests, some contemporary saints, and some old-school saints, area parishes' saints. Please, pass this onto anyone who you think would like a saint picked for them. (Youth ministers, I have this typed up in a Word document if you'd like this for your youth group.) Here's a little more on this devotion:

[color="#0000FF"]Religious orders, both male and female, particularly in the 1800's and early 1900's got into the habit of drawing a saint's name at the close of each year, and that saint would be their "patron" for the coming year. St. Faustina writes about this in her diary, but it was not an unusual practice at all. The saying is, "you don't choose the saint, the saint chooses you - that in the realm of the Eternal, they know better than you what your needs for the coming year will be, and so they "choose" to be with you, through it. But the point is to not simply pull the saint but then develop a bit of a relationship with him/her -ie, learn about them, include them in your prayers, ask them to pray for you, and (when praying) to join you in prayer -that sort of thing.[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament, where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.”[/color]

[font="Georgia"]Excerpt from Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina[/font]

If you would like a saint, message me with your name or if you are comfortable, post here. if the Holy Spirit has already given you one, feel free to share here in this thread. :) please tell me a little of yourself (if i don't already know you): student? discerning? oldest/youngest sibling? any worries about the coming year? etc....

God bless,
Lil Red

[b]Edited to add: I will be off the boards this coming week, so if you have a patron saint request, please email me through the link on my profile. :bye: God bless everyone in our anticipation for the coming of the birth of our Savior! :)[/b]

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='18 December 2009 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1261201452' post='2023029']
The Holy Spirit gave me St. Patrick. I am stoked by that. :)
[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:) did you have a devotion to St. Patrick before? :)

+J.M.J.+
so how it works. someone asks, and i have all these saints' names in a bowl (100+). i pray to the Holy Spirit to guide my hand and that the saint would pick, according to that person's station in life (their job) and vocation (wife/husband, single, religious, or discerning). then i draw a name out of the bowl. but let me be clear - the Holy Spirit does the picking - not me.

some stories to share so far:

a friend of mine is a medical transcriptionist. she types for a living, basically. so she asked me to draw, i prayed and drew St. Thecla. :idontknow: both of us were "who is St. Thecla??" so, looked her up. turns out she was a follower of St. Paul's, and is patron of a city in Spain - a big deal and all that. except that she's called St. Tecla (no 'h'). There is referred to as patron saint of computers (tecla means "key" on a keyboard in Catalan and Spanish). :blink: woah.

a priest friend, who loves teaching, and loves Dominicans, received St. Dominic. :))

another friend received St. John Bosco. she is a librarian and a wife and a mother of seven (i think).

my dad received St. Martin de Porres - a kind of spiritual father figure to St. Rose of Lima. St. Rose of Lima is my patron saint (from birth).

a coworker received the Immaculate Heart of Mary - she told me that as a convert, she's never understood the devotion to Mary.

a friend from Bible study received TWO! (first time that's happened!) She received St. Aloysius Gonzaga and St. Christopher. She is mother to two boys, and she travels a lot (usually by flying, which she hates). she never knew that he was patron saint for travelers.

another Bible study friend asked that her son, father, and husband receive a saint. Her son received St. Joseph of Cupertino - he works on computers. I remembered that Apple Computer is based in... Cupertino, CA.

there are a couple of phatmassers that have stories, but i will leave it to them to tell them if they so desire. :)

Marie-Therese

[quote name='Lil Red' date='19 December 2009 - 12:56 AM' timestamp='1261202214' post='2023031']
+J.M.J.+
:) did you have a devotion to St. Patrick before? :)
[/quote]

Not especially, but since I'm Irish, it makes plenty sense. :)

Archaeology cat

I've been wanting to develop more of a devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and wanting to instill that in my children. We say a little prayer to the Sacred Heart before bed, but nothing more. And of course the Holy Spirit chose the Sacred Heart of Jesus for me. :)

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 December 2009 - 06:37 AM' timestamp='1261226229' post='2023088']
I think this is a GREAT idea! :clapping:

Thank you for the offer -- I sent you a message. So excited! :woot:[/quote]
i sent you a reply. :)

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='19 December 2009 - 08:58 AM' timestamp='1261234702' post='2023099']I'll go for it.[/quote]
could you pm me with some more information? :)

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='zunshynn' date='18 December 2009 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1261202255' post='2023033']Thanks for the reminder Red! I forgot to answer your FB message, but I'd love to participate![/quote]
[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='19 December 2009 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1261202738' post='2023037']I want to partake, my name is Daniel Curran.[/quote]

I sent you both a message.

brightsadness

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 December 2009 - 05:37 AM' timestamp='1261226229' post='2023088']
I think this is a GREAT idea! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]

Thank you for the offer -- I sent you a message. So excited! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/woot.gif[/img]
[/quote]

me too.