An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trayvon Martin

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1332511897' post='2406032']
Boy am I glad I don't live in Florida. That's just ridiclous. You can shoot me just because I'm walking towards you, what?
[/quote]If I can prove in court that it's reasonable for me to believe you were threatening me, pretty much. It's typical for a serious investigation to occur with a shooting like that. Hence the outcry when the Sanford police seemed to drop the ball.

I recommend you reconsider your bad-assness when a Floridian says "Come at me, bro."

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332512581' post='2406044']
If I can prove in court that it's reasonable for me to believe you were threatening me, pretty much.[/quote]
Um, the burden of proof is on the prosecution, not the defense. All that would be required would be a statement from the defandant that he felt "threatened " by the victims approach.

Geeze, no wonder people claim Florida is backwoods and racist. It is.

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1332512790' post='2406045']
Um, the burden of proof is on the prosecution, not the defense. All that would be required would be a statement from the defandant that he felt "threatened " by the victims approach.

Geeze, no wonder people claim Florida is backwoods and racist. It is.
[/quote]Speaking of backwoods and racist....

In the US, the burden is always on the prosecution.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332513078' post='2406049']
Speaking of backwoods and racist....

In the US, the burden is always on the prosecution.
[/quote]
Yes it is. Why would anyone want it otherwise? You realize if it was the other way around the governemnt wouldn't even have to bother finding actual evidence that an individual actually committed a crime?

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332512581' post='2406044']I recommend you reconsider your bad-assness when a Floridian says "Come at me, bro."[/quote]
Actually, I really don't. All I would have to do is be sure to shoot you first. You'd be dead, so your side of the story would never be heard at all...

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1332513785' post='2406060']
Actually, I really don't. All I would have to do is be sure to shoot you first. You'd be dead, so your side of the story would never be heard at all...
[/quote]You may be right. We seem to be at an impasse.

Come at me, bro.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332514378' post='2406064']
You may be right. We seem to be at an impasse.

Come at me, bro.
[/quote]
BAM!

He was coming at me in a threatening manner, your honor, I swear...

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1332514507' post='2406065']
BAM!

He was coming at me in a threatening manner, your honor, I swear...
[/quote]razzle dazzle story, bro.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332514631' post='2406066']
razzle dazzle story, bro.
[/quote]
The truth often is in the court of law.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332505933' post='2406001']
In my opinion, I think public outcry against Zimmerman has reached beyond excessive. From what I've read and heard, it seems very possible that Zimmerman was wrong to confront Trayvon, but at what point would it be first or second degree murder, or man-slaughter if Zimmerman is guilty of a crime? I think political pressure is now to prosecute Zimmerman as harshly as possible, no matter what. I fear that the Government will over-step their ability to convict and prove their case and all hell will break loose from people who believe the entire incident was a racial attact by both Zimmerman and society.
[/quote]

If not for the excessive public outcry, there would be no inquiry. Zimmerman was the one following Trayvon. Zimmerman initiated the confrontation. The idea that "stand your ground" means it's okay to approach a person who is not committing a crime, start a fight, feel threatened, then kill the person even though you have already called 911 and the police are on their way is just absurd.

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1332517595' post='2406094']
If not for the excessive public outcry, there would be no inquiry. Zimmerman was the one following Trayvon. Zimmerman initiated the confrontation. The idea that "stand your ground" means it's okay to approach a person who is not committing a crime, start a fight, feel threatened, then kill the person even though you have already called 911 and the police are on their way is just absurd.
[/quote]
I hope you're right.

If I remember correctly, 21 states now have stand your ground laws. What normally happens in these cases though, is the person with the weapon is always arrested, and a judge decides to withdraw charges, usually within a few days. That didn't happen here. As to racial, Zimmerman is also what we call a visible minority here.

I do know that the state of Florida has never sent a white man to death row for killing a black man, ever in its history. I also know that had it been a cop with the gun, there would have been riots. When I lived in St. Pete, we had days of riots after a cop shot a black teenager who nudged him with his car.

Correct me if I am wrong, Stand my Ground laws require that you are protecting yourself, family or property. The other person is on that property or advancing. These laws do not allow for any form of pursuit whatsoever, and are very specific about that, right?