An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gays In Military

dairygirl4u2c

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

CatherineM

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1338045662' post='2435133']

No offense to your husband, but I really don't understand why that sort of thing would shake anyone up. As a woman, have you ever been traumatized by the advances of a man that you were not interested in? Doubtful, since all you have to do is say "No thank you," and the person will walk away. Same with gay men--I've been "propositioned" by a gay man at a bar once, and all I did was smile and say that I wasn't gay. He said "okay" and moved on.

As for the "seeing some guys doing stuff," I don't know. I wouldn't really want to see any of my heterosexual friends having sex together. Don't really see the distinction.
[/quote]

Yes I have been traumatized by an unwanted advance. You'll have to read my book for details. As to my husband, whatever happened was so traumatic he won't discuss it, and was diagnosed with PTSD from it.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1338093301' post='2435612']
Yes I have been traumatized by an unwanted advance. You'll have to read my book for details. As to my husband, whatever happened was so traumatic he won't discuss it, and was diagnosed with PTSD from it.
[/quote]

Am I reading this correctly: your husband was diagnosed with PTSD after witnessing gay men having sex? That must have been some epic sex!

Winchester

No offense to your husband, but I really don't understand why that sort of thing would shake anyone up. As a woman, have you ever been traumatized by the advances of a man that you were not interested in? Doubtful, since all you have to do is say "No thank you," and the person will walk away. Same with gay men--I've been "propositioned" by a gay man at a bar once, and all I did was smile and say that I wasn't gay. He said "okay" and moved on.

As for the "seeing some guys doing stuff," I don't know. I wouldn't really want to see any of my heterosexual friends having sex together. Don't really see the distinction.
[/quote]
I don't think she's talking about ordinary "Hey, wanna go out" advances. There are aggressive forms of sexual advances; not all end in rape if the answer is "no".

CatherineM

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1338095797' post='2435636']

Am I reading this correctly: your husband was diagnosed with PTSD after witnessing gay men having sex? That must have been some epic sex!
[/quote]

It was obviously more than that.

Catharine, I'll take your word for it.

There are lots of ways to be traumatized, and I'm sorry it happened to him.

Details aren't needed; respectfully, I will pray for your husband and the guys involved

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1338095797' post='2435636']

[/quote]I don't think you meant this to sound as bad as it did.

PhuturePriest

My goodness, this debate is still going on? I thought we all agreed Kujo and I are right, as always.

[left]I[font="lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][size=2] [/size][/color][/font][color=#282828]meant no disrespect, Catherine. I tend to have a sort of [/color][color=#282828]macabre sense of hu[/color][color=#282828]mor, but [/color][color=#282828]making light of your husband's trau[/color][color=#282828]ma was bad for[/color][color=#282828]m. I apologize.[/color][/left]

CatherineM

In the scheme of things, his having PTSD is the slight runny nose in his complicated psyche. it is possible though that the trauma was the trigger that brought on his schizophrenia. He had the genetic predisposition, obviously, but it takes a trigger on top of the genes.

No worries. I would have wondered about him too if it was just seeing two guys making out. It's one of the few things he won't discuss with me, so I really don't know what exactly happened.

As a woman, have you ever been traumatized by the advances of a man that you were not interested in? Doubtful, since all you have to do is say "No thank you," and the person will walk away.
[/quote]

I don't know what planet you live on but it sure ain't the same one that I'm on. That works like 0.5% of the time. More often than not they won't take "no" for an answer. I've had bouncers kick guys out of clubs because they wouldn't take "no" for answer.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1338044417' post='2435131']
I remember my dad saying that he didn't care if the guy next to him was wearing lace panties as long as he covered him under fire.
[/quote]

That's pretty much the general consensus in the military. There are going to be a few that push the limits one way or the other on the issue, but the majority of what I've seen/heard is that as long as people are doing their job right and personal lives aren't interfering no one really cares what goes on in that personal life.

So, to the original questions. Yes and yes. Everyone, no matter their belief system or sexual orientation, has the right to earn a living (a has been stated previously by other posters). The military provides a pretty good one. I don't think believing that someone should be allowed to have a job makes you a bad Catholic.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338218150' post='2436339']
Kujo reminds me of me, but hairier.
[/quote]

So he's the bear and your the cub?

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1338227971' post='2436440']

So he's the bear and your the cub?
[/quote]

I've been told by my gay friends that I would make for a very highly sought after "bear" if I were gay.

Btw, the difference between "bear" and "cub" in the gay world is the same as the difference between the 2 in the wild--age.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1338218160' post='2436340']

I don't know what planet you live on but it sure ain't the same one that I'm on. That works like 0.5% of the time. More often than not they won't take "no" for an answer. I've had bouncers kick guys out of clubs because they wouldn't take "no" for answer.
[/quote]

Really? 0.5% of the time? You sure you don't want to amend that statistic, since it means that if 100 guys hit on you at a bar, less than 1 of them would respect your wishes not to be bothered?