An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modesty And Swimwear...

Annie12

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1338168554' post='2436031']
Tankinis are two pieces and most of them are modest.
[/quote]

I've honestly never heard of one until now. I Googled them and although the top pieces are rather modest the bottom half is pretty immodest in my opinion. It's like a bikini plus a shirt, really.

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1338164284' post='2435969']
actually, this concerns me more than what that swimsuit would look like. if your swim suit is ill-fitting, it won't look good, modest or immodest.

what is your "frumpy" swimsuit like?
[/quote]
I'm sorry! I don't know what I was thinking! I'm sorry if someone was hurt by this statement! :blush: I was thinking that I had less skin to show but that was a stupid statement anyway. I apologize :cry:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338168347' post='2436027']
I personally do not like two-pieces or bikinis in general. They're highly immodest. Plus, your exposed skin actually attracts the human eye because it is normally lighter and its color is more striking, especially when you have sunscreen on and are in the sun. To me it's a bit ironic to basically wear nothing and then complain everyone is staring at you. If I walked in the street with no shirt on I would fully expect everyone to stare at me. I don't think you are a terrible person for wearing this type of clothing ,but I do want you to know that it will attract attention if you wear it and it is not particularly because all men are pigs, but rather it screams for attention in the first place.
[/quote]

Please don't make this about why women should dress modest, and a PSA about men are horny scum. Men don't get a pass on modesty. We need to dress with dignity also.

Back to topic...1-piece or 2-piece, it will be difficult for a woman to go modest. I like when my wife wears a rashguard and board shorts.

Edited by Papist

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I got mine from
www.dressingforhisglory.com Simply because it is more comfortable and I like to cover up a bit more. It works great when swimming! And dries super easy!

However, rashguards can get too tight. Just b/c skin is not visible, doesn't automatically make it modest.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338169083' post='2436042']Back to topic...1-piece or 2-piece, it will be difficult for a woman to go modest. I like when my wife wears a rashguard and board shorts.[/quote]
And not every woman has to conform to what you think is modest.

I never like swimsuit bottoms so I wear shorts. I'm starting to think this was a ridiculous thread because its obvious that my swimsuit top is immodest and that I should just wear my other swimsuit. I just feel self conscious either way. I really do apologize if someone was hurt my any of my statements. what should I do about this?

MissScripture

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338168641' post='2436033']
I've honestly never heard of one until now. I Googled them and although the top pieces are rather modest the bottom half is pretty immodest in my opinion. It's like a bikini plus a shirt, really.
[/quote]
Um, have you looked at most women's swimsuits? Most of the bottoms are like that...
And you can get different bottoms, like a skirt or board shorts. In that regard, tankinis are way better than one pieces, because you can mix and match.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1338169349' post='2436049']
I never like swimsuit bottoms so I wear shorts. I'm starting to think this was a ridiculous thread because its obvious that my swimsuit top is immodest and that I should just wear my other swimsuit. I just feel self conscious either way. I really do apologize if someone was hurt my any of my statements. what should I do about this?
[/quote]
I don't think anyone was hurt, Annie. This is a topic a LOT of people disagree on, that's all! :)

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1338168981' post='2436041']

I'm sorry! I don't know what I was thinking! I'm sorry if someone was hurt by this statement! :blush: I was thinking that I had less skin to show but that was a stupid statement anyway. I apologize :cry:
[/quote]
it wasn't a hurtful statement. :) just trying to help you out.

MissScripture

[/quote]
Honey, don't feel bad. This is how modesty threads usually end up on here. You're new. You didn't know that. :)

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1338169318' post='2436048']
And not every woman has to conform to what you think is modest.
[/quote]

Ok then

Sister Marie

[/quote]

Your thread is not ridiculous! :) If someone is hurt by your statements then they have bigger problems! :)

It's hard to be a woman in today's society... just buying something to wear is a challenge let alone finding something that will conform to everyone's standards of modesty. You pointed out that you have a different body type - it's great that you realize that and know what you can wear and what you can't... none of it was silly! I've seen a lot of modesty gone wrong because people don't know what areas to minimize and what areas they don't need to worry about... so... Don't let your heart be troubled! :)

Anyway, if you don't mind getting a sister's advice on bathing suits... Lands End sells really nice plain one piece or tankini (the type that cover everything) suits. You can get them at Sears. They are a little bit expensive but there are sales... like probably this weekend. If you get one of them you can always add on a skirt or shorts separate that has some flair to it. If you get a solid colored one piece you could get neon green shorts... or something crazy fun like that, whatever you like! :)

Don't be troubled... God knows your heart and that you are doing your best!

[/quote]
Don't worry about it. :)