An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Communities Celebrate The Ef (at All) ?

ToJesusMyHeart

AuthorOfMyLife

Wow, it is wonderful to see that at least a few orders have a EF / Traditional Latin Mass. (I actually really dislike calling it the "Extraordinary Form"--because it is really more "ordinary" for the Church in terms of history, etc. than the new form, the "Novus Ordo"--which is, after all, very new).

Someone already suggested the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, but I second them. I have not been able to visit them yet, but they are the first on my list! Yes, they are exclusively EF, but I have heard they'll go to NO/OF Masses when they are traveling, and they are exclusively EF because they love the EF so much.

So, to recap your desires (which are my own, except that I--who have lived with daily OF Masses for years and have been so happy to have them, but am so tired of a lack of true respect and mystery--am looking for orders that are all-out for the EF):

"I love Latin, kneeling for Eucharist, the Extraordinary Form, veils on postulants, and teaching. Anybody know an order with all those beauties? Edit: I also love the OF if it is celebrated traditionally (ad orientem..no EMHCs..using Latin, etc)."

The Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary have:
1. Latin (well, yes--in the Latin Mass, and also, I think, in parts of the Divine Office, which the Brothers appear to chant--the Sisters have the Little Office of Our Lady, which I don't believe is in Latin).
2. Kneeling for the Eucharist--yes, that's for sure! They have a beautiful chapel!
3. The EF (yes)
4. veils on postulants--they seem to wear a dark dress/skirtshirt kind of outfit and they wear dark veils.
5. The sisters engage in various evangelizing works, one of which is teaching at their IHM school.

I will also add that I, too, am looking for an active/comtemplative order, so I sympathize entirely with your search! If I was drawn to cloistered life, I would be very interested in the Benedictines of Our Lady, Queen of Apostles (MO)--they are exclusively EF and Latin Divine Office people!

Thank you for starting this topic!

Edited by AuthorOfMyLife

AuthorOfMyLife

One more thing--earlier you mentioned that you love calling the EF the EF because it is extraordinary! I SO agree with you there--but still, I tend to get a little annoyed at the term, because that is not (at least in my understanding) what it means. They mean "extraordinary" in the sense of "not the ordinary and should not be the ordinary," which I find sad, because it makes most people think that the EF is only for "Traditionalists" and not for everyone else.

I like calling it the extraordinary form because the Holy Father asked us to...... and the ordinary form is the one in ordinary usage.

... since we are stating opinions. :)

ToJesusMyHeart

What I mean when I call it the "extraordinary" form is:
Adjective: [list]
[*]Very remarkable.
[*]Unusually great.

[/list]

:winner:

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1347761610' post='2482857']
What I mean when I call it the "extraordinary" form is:
Adjective: [list]
[*]Very remarkable.

[*]Unusually great.
[/list]
:winner:
[/quote]

I wanted to recommend the [url="http://rsmofalma.org/"]Religious Sisters of Mercy[/url] of Alma, MI. They do not celebrate the EF very often at all but they LOVE Latin hymns and they use them everyday, especially for Adoration and Mass. The postulants wear chapel veils everytime they go to the Chapel and the Sisters are very reverent. Who ever is the Sacristan for the week does help serve the Eucharist but they do not allow laypeople to serve. I was very pleased with how respectful the Sisters are. :)

ETA: Though most of the Sisters are involved in healthcare, they do have teachers. One of the postulants taught junior high (she left though because she discerned elsewhere). Some of the Sisters go to Rome to study theology and become teachers at the seminary. They work with each Sister to see what her gifts are before deciding where to send her. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

I would also recommend:

[url="http://www.sistersofreparation.org/index.html"]Sisters of Reparation to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus [/url]
--The postulants wear veils, but I'm not sure how they celebrate Mass. My friend, Sr. Mary Elizabeth, visited them before visiting the Carmelites that she is a member of now. She loved their order but wasn't called there.

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1347807546' post='2482989']
Thank you Mater. :)
[/quote]

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that there are no orders in Texas that I could find so far that match your description. Not many orders today kneel for communion or have the postulants wear veils. However, I did find these beautiful orders that are dedicated to the apostolate of teaching:

[url="http://www.divineteacher.org/index.htm"]Franciscan Sisters of Christ the Divine Teacher[/url]

[url="http://www.cmswr.org/member_communities/SSCK.htm"]School Sisters of Christ the King[/url]

[url="http://www.cmswr.org/member_communities/STORSF.htm"]School Sisters of St. Francis[/url]

[url="http://www.cmswr.org/member_communities/SIHMW.htm"]Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary of Wichita, KS[/url]

School Sisters of Christ the King, are an AMAZING order. I discerned with them for 2 years. I would highly recommend them if you are considering a teaching order. Very very, sound order. The sisters are amazing and so joy filled. I actually just got a CD in the mail from them of the Sisters chanting the Sunday Divine Office (Morning, Evening and Nighttime Prayer); its beautiful. And the CD is free. No cost.

Please PM if you have any specific questions about the community. I spent a lot of time with them while discerning.

God Bless,

Allie

All of our proposed/emerging charisms will be for the EF and older vocations. Depending on who comes to the charisms and the locations will determine the scheduling, though.

Blessings,
Gemma

• 4 weeks later...
ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1346719035' post='2478073']
I heard from a priest that the [url="http://www.exclusivesoftware.com/RoseGardenMission/default.html"]Franciscan Daughters of Mary[/url] have it every week now :like: (as much as they can depending when the priests who can offer it are available)
[/quote]

Any update on this community, Chiqui?

I just emailed their VD for information. I'm wondering if, since they're a small community, they'd allow a sister to kneel for Holy Communion when celebrated in the OF.

Also, to update this thread, the Sisters of Life celebrate the EF "occasionally," per the VD, Sr. Antoniana (and I'm going to their Come 'n' See in November! :nun: )

[quote name='SstrAli' timestamp='1347569122' post='2482092']
The Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth, when I visited several years ago, did not celebrate the EF of the Mass. They are however, a great community, with much austerety. The Sisters are very joy-filled! I would recommend making a visit for those that are at all interested in the least little bit.
[/quote]
These sisters appear to be traditional, but the only thing traditional about them is their habit. They receive on the hand, read as a group unapproved visionaries (e.g., Ann a lay apostole), and as one very well formed girl from our area told us "The superior of one of the houses was not able to explain a basic doctrine about eternity very well." Another girl also felt pressured to enter and was told that since she liked them she didn't need to look further. She had just started to discern and was caught up in the excitement. Please, be very careful if you discern with them. They do have many wonderful attributes, that is undenyable. Related to the original post, they attend Mass at a local church and it is the ordinary form.

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='andibc' timestamp='1350225737' post='2493268']
These sisters appear to be traditional, but the only thing traditional about them is their habit. They receive on the hand, read as a group unapproved visionaries (e.g., Ann a lay apostole), and as one very well formed girl from our area told us "The superior of one of the houses was not able to explain a basic doctrine about eternity very well." Another girl also felt pressured to enter and was told that since she liked them she didn't need to look further. She had just started to discern and was caught up in the excitement. Please, be very careful if you discern with them. They do have many wonderful attributes, that is undenyable. Related to the original post, they attend Mass at a local church and it is the ordinary form.
[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I personally have read the writings of the visionary "Ann" from Ireland, and I believe she is authentic. But I don't mean to get into a debate about that here. It is interesting that they read her writings as a community though. I appreciate your advice and the information the mass type they attend. :)

[quote name='andibc' timestamp='1350225737' post='2493268']
[/quote]

Nobody should ever feel pressured to join any community. I've experienced a little of it myself, but my friend experienced it big time with a new community who was desperate for members. I've also heard about from others. I think, if a community is desperate and pressuring possible candidates, they are not focusing on Divine Providence. I know that religious are not infallible but they should know that prayer and gentle, non-pressuring guidance is the key to new vocations. :)

Just to clarify, this is not Ann from Ireland. Sorry to derail this thread. If you are interested, google Anne a lay apostle false prophet on youtube. Those discerning need to be extremely cautious because even bishops can be mistaken about what is really going on in an order.