An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Communities Celebrate The Ef (at All) ?

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1346960286' post='2479455']
I highly encourage spending a weekend with them on one of their vocation retreats. I was sick when I went but I loved what I was able to participate in. My friend is a 1st year novice with them -- Sr. Mary Elizabeth. :)
[/quote]

Money is the only issue. I'm in Texas and driving/flying isn't cheap. I'm in college and thus lack enough money to transport myself to and fro. :sad:

ToJesusMyHeart

Does anybody know any teaching orders who celebrate EF sometimes and/or the Latin OF?

Edit: By "Latin" I don't necessary mean it all must be in Latin..rather, I suppose "old school OF" would be easier to understand...like the Children of Mary or the Poor Sisters of St. Clare have.

I know of the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary who are strictly EF only.

I'm looking for more of a healthy balance between EF and Latin OF, not exclusively one or the other.

Do the Nashies ever celebrate the EF? ...Would they permit a sister to kneel for Holy Communion?

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

The Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth, when I visited several years ago, did not celebrate the EF of the Mass. They are however, a great community, with much austerety. The Sisters are very joy-filled! I would recommend making a visit for those that are at all interested in the least little bit.

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1347566377' post='2482075']
Do the Nashies ever celebrate the EF? ...Would they permit a sister to kneel for Holy Communion?
[/quote]

i have a couple friends there...i don't think they have EF mass and i'm not sure they even could logistically the way their altar is set up. everything there is very uniform & i know my friends there would love to receive kneeling - but they do what the community does & one sister kneeling would draw attention.

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='loveletslive' timestamp='1347672388' post='2482490']
everything there is very uniform & i know my friends there would love to receive kneeling - but they do what the community does & one sister kneeling would draw attention.
[/quote]

Yeah, those are my thoughts. I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I also feel a great necessity to kneel when receiving the Lord. I just hate to cross the ND's off...they're beautiful.

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1347679839' post='2482560']
Yeah, those are my thoughts. I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I also feel a great necessity to kneel when receiving the Lord. I just hate to cross the ND's off...they're beautiful.
[/quote]

I know I mentioned them already but I highly recommend the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Central Province). They receive kneeling at every Mass (EF and OF) and are very reverent. :)

The [b]Benedictine Oblate Sisters of Clear Creek who [/b]are contemplative Benedictines have the EF exclusively. They have 5 now I believe and according to their recent newsletter are moving into the guest house on the monks' property which is a huge log home with like 12 bdrms. so they can accept more vocations.

Also, the [b]Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate up [/b]in New Bedford, MA have the EF at least several times each week as well as the [b]Franciscan Handmaids of the Immaculate [/b]who also have it several times a week. The Handmaids are in Bellingham, MA and go out to an EF at least once a week. I corresponded by email with them for awhile last year.

ToJesusMyHeart

Thank you Mater. :) I did visit them, and I agree wholeheartedly. They are a wonderful and very traditional order of joyful and faithful women! I love them very much, but I don't feel called to their apostolate of caring for the elderly. Don't get me wrong, the elderly are precious and beautiful, and I'm so thankful for the work the sisters do with them..but it's not my calling. :idontknow:

I love Latin, kneeling for Eucharist, the Extraordinary Form, veils on postulants, and teaching. Anybody know an order with all those beauties? Edit: I also love the OF if it is celebrated traditionally (ad orientem..no EMHCs..using Latin, etc).

(Of course I will follow God's perfect will anywhere He sends me...but my spiritual director tells me that the Holy Spirit puts these desires in our hearts as a way to guide our discernment, so while these things are NOT necessary in a future home of mine, they are indeed things I would love to have.)

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1347680455' post='2482566']
Thank you Mater. :) I did visit them, and I agree wholeheartedly. They are a wonderful and very traditional order of joyful and faithful women! I love them very much, but I don't feel called to their apostolate of caring for the elderly. Don't get me wrong, the elderly are precious and beautiful, and I'm so thankful for the work the sisters do with them..but it's not my calling. :idontknow:

I love Latin, kneeling for Eucharist, the Extraordinary Form, veils on postulants, and teaching. Anybody know an order with all those beauties? Edit: I also love the OF if it is celebrated traditionally (ad orientem..no EMHCs..using Latin, etc).

(Of course I will follow God's perfect will anywhere He sends me...but my spiritual director tells me that the Holy Spirit puts these desires in our hearts as a way to guide our discernment, so while these things are NOT necessary in a future home of mine, they are indeed things I would love to have.)
[/quote]

I am not sure if I mentioned them before but the [url="http://sistersofcharity.com/"]Sisters of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church[/url] receive kneeling as they have communion rails in their chapel. They are a very traditional order but I don't believe they celebrate the EF. Their postulants wear the traditional garment that includes a cape and veil and they allow no skin on the arms or legs to show (their habits are very long and they never roll them up). One of their main apostolates is education.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_SznJdkslU[/media]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1347682158' post='2482581']
[url="http://sistersofcharity.com/"]Sisters of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church[/url][/quote]
I notice they're at the convent at St. Agnes parish in St. Paul, MN. They have the OF & EF there :like: [url="http://www.stagnes.net/"]http://www.stagnes.net/[/url]

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1347683966' post='2482602']
I notice they're at the convent at St. Agnes parish in St. Paul, MN. They have the OF & EF there :like: [url="http://www.stagnes.net/"]http://www.stagnes.net/[/url]
[/quote]

amesome! I didn't know they were in Minnesota. :)

ToJesusMyHeart

Why are there no attractive communities in Texas?!?! :pinch:

Edit: Except the lovely cloistered Carmels in DFW. Love them..but not feeling the call to the cloister.

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1347685461' post='2482616']
Why are there no attractive communities in Texas?!?! :pinch:
[/quote]

I'll do some searching. There's gotta be at least one! :)

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1347685518' post='2482618']
I'll do some searching. There's gotta be at least one! :)
[/quote]

You rock. Idk if you saw my edit above, but I do love the Carmels in DFW. I just think active/contemp. life is for me.