An Old School Catholic Message Board

Our Lady Of The Angels Monastery

nikita92

I noticed that Olam has been keeping a low profile pretty much. They redesigned their website, and it seems like it is taking forever to add the other content that says COMING SOON, yet nothing happens to complete it. I actually liked the old one better.They had more photos and I appreciated the drawings showing and explaining the different stages of the progression of becoming a Sister.They only have investures pictures from 2011 and maybe 10. Nothing later. After Sr. Mary John Paul made her first profession, that left four. (Usually pictured together) Two had first professions this year, and two are left..Sisters..Maria Maris Stella and Jeanette Marie. (To the best of my knowledge) I think I read somewhere that if a recitpiant been given a grant with the Mater Ecctesiae fund organization...that one cannot progress within the community unless there has been repayment of some sort...I could be totally of base here. Please correct me if Im getting that wrong. I know two more have been added since then. Iv been waiting for Sr. Maris Stella (Julie) to take first vows..after Chiara Marie did in July...but all has been quite on the Southern front so to speak. Im not trying to be nosey...its just that the PCPA's of Olam are in my heart! If it wasnt for M A and her sisters, I wouldnt have come back home so to speak! Does anyone know anything? Thank

[quote name='nikita92' timestamp='1353564982' post='2514711']
I noticed that Olam has been keeping a low profile pretty much. They redesigned their website, and it seems like it is taking forever to add the other content that says COMING SOON, yet nothing happens to complete it. I actually liked the old one better.They had more photos and I appreciated the drawings showing and explaining the different stages of the progression of becoming a Sister.They only have investures pictures from 2011 and maybe 10. Nothing later. After Sr. Mary John Paul made her first profession, that left four. (Usually pictured together) Two had first professions this year, and two are left..Sisters..Maria Maris Stella and Jeanette Marie. (To the best of my knowledge) I think I read somewhere that if a recitpiant been given a grant with the Mater Ecctesiae fund organization...that one cannot progress within the community unless there has been repayment of some sort...I could be totally of base here. Please correct me if Im getting that wrong. I know two more have been added since then. Iv been waiting for Sr. Maris Stella (Julie) to take first vows..after Chiara Marie did in July...but all has been quite on the Southern front so to speak. Im not trying to be nosey...its just that the PCPA's of Olam are in my heart! If it wasnt for M A and her sisters, I wouldnt have come back home so to speak! Does anyone know anything? Thank
[/quote]

I too have noticed that OLAM's new website is, IMO, inferior to their old one. It would be nice to have current updates and an archive of photos.

But the extensive exposure they had a few years ago might have resulted in a lot of vocations, but it also strained the community badly, it seems. The connection, via Mother Angelica, with EWTN, didn't help, either. For a time they seemed to be "celebrity sisters".

But it is also possible that they simply haven't any more room, and too much to do, to bother with a radical website makeover.

I think they are keeping a lower profile in an effort to become a healthier community and live the life. It's fun to keep track of who's new, who's taken vows and so forth but keep in mind these are cloistered nuns whose vocation is to be hidden in the heart of the Church. I think they do have a newsletter you can sign up for on their website and I'm sure the vocations news is included there. :)

I actually really like their new site launch. It's clean and modern and has a certain "flavor" that I believe better expresses who the nuns are as opposed to the TV station. There is certainly a lot to finish on the site but my guess is that it is a work in progress and that we will see some more updates shortly.

I prefer the more traditional blog look they had previously however.

I have signed up for their newsletter. I have received a few papercopies. The last one mentioned Sr.Sharbel passing on. They removed the archive of photos. For instance...on past postings on here, people would report on certain happenings ie-investures and upload the link to it..say from 2007.. and now they are gone. Their older website had music and a section for wallpapers with also a link to the homilies. I understand that community has went through alot, and of course is to maintain the standard of "Cloister" But it's like "Here today,gone tomorrow" Please forgive my whining :( (Im still wondering about the last two sisters of the fab four) I cant upload a photo cause Im using a e-reader)

I don't know about the new website .... I really liked the old one better. As far as the Sisters? All I know is Mother Angelica's condition is still the same and one Sister is with her all the time. The Sisters really don't like to talk about themselves or others in the Monastery.

By His Grace Alone

I think the problem may be that there are so few of them now and they no longer have the personnel to spare for it. In their last community photo, I was somewhat surprised by their signifcantly reduced numbers.

They use to have so many. I know about the changes that have taken place..and of course they have every reason to withdraw from the media aspect. I do enjoy watching them sing when they are doing Benediction and devotion service. That's where I see who has a white veil and who has progressed to getting their black one.

The only problem with watching for the nuns during Benediction and Devotions is the camera rarely pans to the far right side (when you're watching the screen) so you only get to see the first two sections of nuns. The third section is obscured by the rerredos (sp?) It amazes me to watch them recite the rosary and see the Nuns who is there and who has left, either to make a new foundation or to discern out.
A prayer request....The PCPA's finally have their land in Charlotte N.C. and now they need to funds to build roads to get around the property (very heavily wooded) and then to build the monastery. When I was at the Monastery last year for a visit and . Immaculata's solemn profession, Mother Dolores Marie and the sisters showed me the land plus I saw the architectural renderings...just beautiful. They have furnishings for the chapel, such as a beautiful marble altar bought from a closed parish in Columbus etc. in storage waiting for their new home. Please pray for some serious benefactors to come forward so they can get out of their cramped quarters and accept new vocations.

Yes, I was aware of them doing so as well! They were also on EWTN with Raymond on " On the World over" talking about it. I recognized those being a few of the .sisters that were in the rosary video. On the Olam site...before they changed it...they wrote about the sisters being there (the far right) but the view is mostly obstructed. I think that is the Soprano as well. Francis Clare would you mind if I PM you a question or two? Thanks

For the few of you that mentioned liking Olam's original website, I did lots of researching (today) and discovered that the original website is stil alive and accessible!!! The address is- motherangelica.com Sounds like a no brainer right?! Well...from the get go, I always used the "olamshrine.com" addy in the past...so this is news to me. Something I never seen before...on Olam's site is a picture of MA with no less than 38 of her sisters with taken outside. Dont get me wrong...Iv seen only 2 others with her sisters before, but not like this one!! If you mouse over their picture, it gives their full religious name (or first depending) and entrance date and a fav quote. The years range from (depending on the sister) 1950..to 2008. It really is a great picture! (I had been trying to ID a young postulant in the rosary video that I have watched like a few hundred times,and was finally able to do so) Turns out that "Zunshynn" was standing next to her in that picture. (As you all probably know, the older links that people refered to back a few years ago, are of course now non working. Anyway...I just wanted to past this bit of FYI on.

By His Grace Alone

For the few of you that mentioned liking Olam's original website, I did lots of researching (today) and discovered that the original website is stil alive and accessible!!! The address is- motherangelica.com Sounds like a no brainer right?! Well...from the get go, I always used the "olamshrine.com" addy in the past...so this is news to me. Something I never seen before...on Olam's site is a picture of MA with no less than 38 of her sisters with taken outside. Dont get me wrong...Iv seen only 2 others with her sisters before, but not like this one!! If you mouse over their picture, it gives their full religious name (or first depending) and entrance date and a fav quote. The years range from (depending on the sister) 1950..to 2008. It really is a great picture! (I had been trying to ID a young postulant in the rosary video that I have watched like a few hundred times,and was finally able to do so) Turns out that "Zunshynn" was standing next to her in that picture. (As you all probably know, the older links that people refered to back a few years ago, are of course now non working. Anyway...I just wanted to past this bit of FYI on.

It is rather sad that because there used to be so many and now there are about 12 or 14 left.  The last group photo taken showed only about that many left. 

It is rather sad that because there used to be so many and now there are about 12 or 14 left. The last group photo taken showed only about that many left.

It's only sad if the sisters returned to secular life. I believe quite a few were dispersed to other, ageing PCPA foundations in need of invigoration, some went to different communities altogether, and at least one new community was founded.

At the time of the restructuring, IIRC, Hanceville had no room for new vocations and was bursting at the seams. Now, of course, that has changed, which can be viewed as a positive sign.

Btw, does anyone know what Zunshynn is doing these days?

I know one of the Nuns entered the Canonesses in the Lord Jesus, another the Handmaids of the Precious Blood & a third went with Sister Catherine (now Mother Gabriel) in the new association of the faithful in Italy, Daughters of the Divine Will.