An Old School Catholic Message Board

Our Lady Of The Angels Monastery

nikita92

I know one of the Nuns entered the Canonesses in the Lord Jesus, another the Handmaids of the Precious Blood & a third went with Sister Catherine (now Mother Gabriel) in the new association of the faithful in Italy, Daughters of the Divine Will.

I know one of the Nuns entered the Canonesses in the Lord Jesus, another the Handmaids of the Precious Blood & a third went with Sister Catherine (now Mother Gabriel) in the new association of the faithful in Italy, Daughters of the Divine Will.

As I stated in anther post, another PCPA nun left and went with Mother Gabrielle.  Sr. Rose Marie, or Sr. Mary Rose (alway get it mixed up) was the nun who transcribed a lot of the writings, teachings of Mother Angelica for Raymond Arroyo for his books.  She is now professed in Italy with the former Mother Vicar of the PCPA's, Mother Gabrielle.  You can see Mother Gabrielle (Sr. Mary Catherine) sitting next to Mother Angelica in their TV rosary.  The younger nun was not yet at Hanceville, but you can see her in past issues of Regina Angelorum.

I met up with one former PCPA in Charlotte last year and she's in touch with many who left Hanceville.  Most returned to secular life are are working, married, having babies.  Out of that HUGE group picture, 5 went to Phoenix at the outset, and 2 have subsequently left the Order.  Another transferred to Phoenix only to leave the Order as well.  Five went to start the foundation in Texas and 4 are left.  Two went to Ohio, now they'r in North Carolina. and one went back to Hanceville.  The former Sr. Marie St. Anne (a junior professed who had to leave Hancevile for medical reasons) rejoined in Charlotte and is now called Sr. Mary Raphael.  Her blood sister who was also at Hanceville and left is in the military.

The only personal knowledge I have, is that of living as a Poor Clare for a time. We seriously lived a simple and “poor” life in trying to follow in the footsteps of Francis and Clare. We lived on alms. Our Monastery was not a multimillion dollar structure, even though there were twenty some of us.
 With so many Sisters having left the PCPA community, I really do question how they can expect to live out a life focused on Perpetual Adoration,  in “poverty,” with only 4-5 nuns per place in their new Foundations.  Perhaps someone who knows how they do Perpetual Adoration can explain this.  And is there a reason they need to build such huge complexes to live a simple, prayerful life?  Perhaps I am missing something about the charism of PCPA. 

AccountDeleted

I hope this isn't seen as a criticism of any community, as it isn't, merely an observation about ones that have been founded by strong or charismatic (and yes, even celebrity) leaders. It seems IMO that unless a very strong foundation is laid down for living the charism and the continuation of the community after the founder/foundress is no longer in charge, then there is bound to be a time of change and sometimes upheaval when that person dies or cannot function as the superior any more. A strong and charismatic leader is great for getting things started and for initial growth, as they are bound to attract vocations. They can lead to a rapid, but sometimes temporary expansion (much like the stock market).

Leaders who are wise will plan for their successor/s to be able to carry on the work without them. In the case of Olam, I do believe that Mother Angelica becoming incapacitated made things difficult for the community and this could just be a period of adjustment (and consolidation) for them while they learn how to live the life without her guidance. I know she is still around, but she isn't in charge any more, and that makes a difference.

This is always a concern for me with charismatic leaders and founders of new communities because it seems that the community often becomes dependant upon them, and sometimes the focus is more on the leader than on the purpose of the community. I have been in management in the world and we always know that we need to plan for succession if we want our department/area/whatever to continue to prosper once we leave or move on. I think that some leaders don't want to think of a time without them so they leave this planning for 'later' which, of course, never comes. And sometimes when the leader is no longer able to lead, a leadership crisis results from the vacuum left behind, or even a leadership struggle. It is naive to think that these things don't happen in religious communities, just as they do in the secular world. It is human nature.

If the foundations that Mother A laid down are solid, then the community will survive, although perhaps not in the same form as they had in the past. They may indeed find that they need to scale things back at Hanceville and try to continue on in a slower, steadier pace than before.

The newer communities that seem to be handling rapid growth well (like the DSSME and the Nashville Doms) - at least in my opinion - don't seem to focus as much on the leader as they do on the community - and this feeling comes across too.

As I said, this isn't to criticise Mother A - as hers is not the only fairly new community to go through 'teething problems', especially when the founder/foundress is not longer the superior. This has happened to quite a few others and hopefully will serve as a lesson to other new communities springing up.

Edited by nunsense

Blessed&Grateful

Props to Nunsense, and I am glad to hear about the nuns who left are doing well. Seems like I know some of them from my early EWTN days in the 90s.

Nunsense, that is very insightful and food for thought. Props as well! The only thing constant in life is change. As do people. BlessedandGratfful- out of that huge picture showing 35 (including MA) 4 of them entered in 92,96,97,98 respectively. Marie Michelle,(now gone)Marie St John(still there), Judith Marie, Ruth Marie. (Both gone). I understand what Aspirancy consists of..yet....out of that large group...there were 7 in total who had all enterd in 2008, and only one- Regina Marie who persevered and went on to become Sr.Chiara Marie who professed first vows in July. Also...if the Monastery could hold/house 35 people at that time..indeed bursting at the seams..were they over the 21 rule, and required to reduce in size??

Nunsense, that is very insightful and food for thought. Props as well! The only thing constant in life is change. As do people. BlessedandGratfful- out of that huge picture showing 35 (including MA) 4 of them entered in 92,96,97,98 respectively. Marie Michelle,(now gone)Marie St John(still there), Judith Marie, Ruth Marie. (Both gone). I understand what Aspirancy consists of..yet....out of that large group...there were 7 in total who had all enterd in 2008, and only one- Regina Marie who persevered and went on to become Sr.Chiara Marie who professed first vows in July. Also...if the Monastery could hold/house 35 people at that time..indeed bursting at the seams..were they over the 21 rule, and required to reduce in size??

Only Carmel has the "over 21" rule.  Remember that up until the 1960s some non-Carmelite monasteries had over 60-70 nuns, and some male monasteries that I know of had over 100. 

Can you believe i went back to find that hugh picture of MA and all the sisters (t
aken outside)...and now i cant find it. :(

Antigonos- i actually saw Zunshynn on a diff website..(she seems to be involved with running and has a couple of young children)

Antigonos- i actually saw Zunshynn on a diff website..(she seems to be involved with running and has a couple of young children)

So she's married now?  Or involved in education, etc.?  Could you post a link to the website?

If this is the website you are talking about:

http://www.meetup.com/Babes-with-Books/member/20223891/

That's not her.  I know by the picture since she had her actual picture posted as her avatar for a while.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae