An Old School Catholic Message Board

Servants Of The Afflicted Of St. Dymphna?

Renee the Nunnabe

Renee the Nunnabe

I was recently speaking with a person who claimed to be a sister from this order, but I am unable to find anything about the order online other than what she told me. 

She told me that they are a Slovakian order working with the mentally ill. That charism appeals to me very much :bounce: (and, well, my picture is of St. Dymphna for a reason), so I naturally wanted to find out more about the order, but can't find anything else about it online. :stars:  

Does anyone know anything about this order or if it is even a legitimate order? 

Thank you.  

I see where you found your profile picture. Other than a blog by a person Sr.Leocadia SASD. Her blog is empty. Nothing else came up at this point. Keep searching! I will keep my eyes open for you! Blessings

That community doesn't exist. There was one person (Leocadia) who claimed to be living in the UK preparing for the order to make an English foundation, which rang alarm bells for me as it isn't general procedure for a community to send one solitary sister to another country to make a foundation. They have to be specifically invited by the bishop of that diocese. I also noticed that whenever Leocadia talked of visiting the community in Slovakia, she would post a regretful caveat about forgetting to take pictures. No address, no phone number, no listing on any Slovakian church website, no photo of anyone other than Leocadia, wearing the sort of habit that you can get on eBay...

I know this much because a couple of years ago I thought they were real and wanted to correspond with them. I soon found that this would be impossible.

The Vocation Director for the Daughters of St. Francis is very helpful and quick to respond to emails.  I highly recommend contacting her.  :)

Renee the Nunnabe
That community doesn't exist. There was one person (Leocadia) who claimed to be living in the UK preparing for the order to make an English foundation, which rang alarm bells for me as it isn't general procedure for a community to send one solitary sister to another country to make a foundation. They have to be specifically invited by the bishop of that diocese. I also noticed that whenever Leocadia talked of visiting the community in Slovakia, she would post a regretful caveat about forgetting to take pictures. No address, no phone number, no listing on any Slovakian church website, no photo of anyone other than Leocadia, wearing the sort of habit that you can get on eBay...

I know this much because a couple of years ago I thought they were real and wanted to correspond with them. I soon found that this would be impossible.

P.S. If you're really interested in an apostolate like mental health care, have a look at the Hospitaller Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus: http://www.sistershospitallers.org/

The Daughters of St. Francis of Assisi in Lacon, IL also work in mental institutions.  I will happily research more communities with this apostolate.  :)

Here are some more communities with mental health apostolates:

Daughters of Divine Charity (Holy Trinity Province) (CMSWR)

Daughters of St. Mary of Providence (Guanellians)

Thank you so much for your help, guys! =)  

I had a few alarm bells when I was speaking to her and when I was unable to find an online presence for the "community," but I wanted to know for sure. Especially because the apostolate really does appeal to me. 

Thank you guys for the suggestions! That's very helpful! :heart:  

That's wonderful that you're attracted to a community with a mental health care apostolate. I'm a psychiatric nurse and it's sad how stigmatized mental health is. It can take its toll on the caregivers but I don't doubt that God calls some people to this work though. Just not me :)

Renee the Nunnabe

=)  

I've had my own trials with mental illness and have family members who have dealt with far worse mental illness than mine (i.e. - I have a cousin with paranoid schizophrenia), so I definitely have a place in my heart for the afflicted. The stigma is so terrible and can really keep people from getting the help they need, and so homeless are victims of mental illness. Even the misconceptions about mental illness can hurt too. :console: I think it's so important to provide some form of help to these people. 

I hope some people have been helped through your work as a psychiatric nurse.  :heart:  

Edited by Renee the Nunnabe