An Old School Catholic Message Board

Servants Of The Afflicted Of St. Dymphna?

Renee the Nunnabe

Just read all this about there being someone who is pretending to be a nun. It's not something I guess I thought would ever happen. I have several nuns as pen pals and don't understand much about being a nun but don't see why you would say you are one when you're not.

Why would someone do that? Do they want money or something? It seems like they wouldn't gain much else from just posing for some pictures and chatting to people on websites.

Also, it must be quite disappointing for you, Nunnabee, that you had your hopes raised about a community then to find it doesn't exist. And it seems like its insulting to real nuns who devote their lives to God.

I don't know much about it, but I think the person who does it must have not much in their life to do all this pretending and lying. Seems sad really.

Perhaps they have some mental health problems themselves. We should pray for them, I think.

Renee the Nunnabe

I don't know what the person had to gain from this deception. (And based on what I've been told and posts I've found on the internet, it's been going on for at least a few years now.) The goal doesn't appear to be to gain money, it seems to just be to gain attention. 

It was a bit disappointing. I'm just glad that I found out that it wasn't true now instead of continuing to speak to her and believing what she was saying. It was even a bit insulting, that she really thought no one would look into her claims.  

I agree that it seems a bit sad. To want to lie, deceive, and pretend . . . well, I imagine that the desire to do these things must come out of some loneliness and need. It's not a good place to be in.  

I don't know what the person had to gain from this deception. (And based on what I've been told and posts I've found on the internet, it's been going on for at least a few years now.) The goal doesn't appear to be to gain money, it seems to just be to gain attention. 

It was a bit disappointing. I'm just glad that I found out that it wasn't true now instead of continuing to speak to her and believing what she was saying. It was even a bit insulting, that she really thought no one would look into her claims.  

I agree that it seems a bit sad. To want to lie, deceive, and pretend . . . well, I imagine that the desire to do these things must come out of some loneliness and need. It's not a good place to be in.  

Surely she can't have thought anyone wouldn't bother to look into the background of her claims! Maybe if she'd said she was a hermit or something more independent she might have got away with it for a little while longer, but it's good you found out. So what happens now? Should someone say something or...I don't know. Is she breaking a law, maybe? Can the church stop her? I guess I feel like no one else should be "conned" by her. 

I have a cousin who had depression when she was pregnant and she looked on the Internet for help because she didn't want to tell our family that she was ill. She found a woman who said she could heal her, for a fee. She met up with the woman who prayed over her, took the money and told my sister to cut out fruits from her diet and she would be healed. Obviously she wasn't and when we all found out we were upset that someone had been so awful to someone who was very vulnerable. 

I guess that this is what the "nun" is doing really. People with a vocation want to know about devoting their lives to God and if they didn't know better, might be "conned" by someone like this leocadia person.

Sorry to write so much, it just hit a nerve.

Just my two cents:

It is easy to *jump* to a conclusion about the person in question ... the truth is that in all honesty we just don't know.  All we know is that the foundation appears to not have diocesan approval, and nothing more.

Is the person pretending to be a nun?  I don't know ... and if she is actually starting a community the lack of online presence may be because she was asked to keep it private?

What beatitude posted was fine ... she worded things well, from her point of view.  But after, that unless someone asks the person involved, it really falls under speculation.

Finally -- even if the person is "legit" remember that it looks like she may not yet have any diocesan recognition/approval, and per the stated new rules the discussion should be dropped.  (No -- I'm not a mod ... but just stating what has been said before by dUSt).  I do think the original question (what about xyz community) was a good one (no one knew what their status was off the bat).

FYI dUSt's thread: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125973-new-rule-for-vocation-station-starting-now/

Renee the Nunnabe
Surely she can't have thought anyone wouldn't bother to look into the background of her claims! Maybe if she'd said she was a hermit or something more independent she might have got away with it for a little while longer, but it's good you found out. So what happens now? Should someone say something or...I don't know. Is she breaking a law, maybe? Can the church stop her? I guess I feel like no one else should be "conned" by her. 

I have a cousin who had depression when she was pregnant and she looked on the Internet for help because she didn't want to tell our family that she was ill. She found a woman who said she could heal her, for a fee. She met up with the woman who prayed over her, took the money and told my sister to cut out fruits from her diet and she would be healed. Obviously she wasn't and when we all found out we were upset that someone had been so awful to someone who was very vulnerable. 

I guess that this is what the "nun" is doing really. People with a vocation want to know about devoting their lives to God and if they didn't know better, might be "conned" by someone like this leocadia person.

I can't say I know why she wouldn't think anyone would look into the veracity of her claims. Of course, I also know that many don't check the validity of everything they hear or are told. Myself? I have a tendency to check into a lot of things, even when I'm almost positive of whether it is truthful or a farce.  

I wouldn't say any such actions are victim-less "crimes," for there is a capacity to hurt, especially in cases in which the targets are vulnerable. That said, I don't think there is much that could officially be done about it.  

Just my two cents:

It is easy to *jump* to a conclusion about the person in question ... the truth is that in all honesty we just don't know.  All we know is that the foundation appears to not have diocesan approval, and nothing more.

Is the person pretending to be a nun?  I don't know ... and if she is actually starting a community the lack of online presence may be because she was asked to keep it private?

What beatitude posted was fine ... she worded things well, from her point of view.  But after, that unless someone asks the person involved, it really falls under speculation.

Finally -- even if the person is "legit" remember that it looks like she may not yet have any diocesan recognition/approval, and per the stated new rules the discussion should be dropped.  (No -- I'm not a mod ... but just stating what has been said before by dUSt).  I do think the original question (what about xyz community) was a good one (no one knew what their status was off the bat).

FYI dUSt's thread: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125973-new-rule-for-vocation-station-starting-now/

I am not jumping to conclusions about this person; in fact, I'm still in contact with her. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, though I keep getting red flags, and I'm inclined to believe Beatitude because she has had a nearly identical experience with the exact person. (For example, saying she'll be in contact with me in a certain manner, and then claiming later that she "wasn't able to," and saying she'll try again . . . only to not do it. And so forth. She also has a number of stories that ring false.) She claimed to be part of a community that has been established for a good while, and that she was establishing a priory in the United Kingdom. According to various posts online (all made by "Sister Leocadia"), she's been establishing the priory for a number of years. That said, it would make sense for a young community to not have an online presence. My concerns have been addressed, 

I've read that thread, and I do thank you for warning me about potential conflicts with moderators. However, as I am not promoting a community that does not have Diocesan approval and neither is anyone else, it doesn't quite apply. I was seeking information about a community and whether or not it exists at all, and the discussion turned toward the reality of farce and pretend. Our concerns have been addressed, and the conversation is no longer about what may or may not be an actual community, but rather the issues that may arise from psychological play on another's emotions. 

Thank you very much for addressing this; I have not been part of Phatmass for very long and would not have been aware of this rule if you had not pointed out to me.  

Edited by Renee the Nunnabe

I agree that we shouldn't speculate about why somebody would pose as a nun. It could be for any one of many reasons, which might include psychological ill health or simply a deep personal loneliness, paired with naivete about what the consequences of such a game might be. It is best to try and think charitably about the person at all times.

However, about the project? I think we can fairly and legitimately say that the project is bogus. I read Leocadia's blog in full before she deleted all her posts, and even though I knew much less about religious life in those days, I was still able to realise that many of the things she was posting were not consistent with what I had seen of sisters and how they live - such as the fact that she, a newly professed sister, was on her own in the UK with the task of making a new foundation. Why would they send a newly professed for such a responsible job? And why only one sister? What was the diocese? She never would reveal it. There were things she wrote about her daily routine that just didn't add up either.

I don't think anyone is at risk of being conned, because rather than trying to recruit and organise people she seems to put them off - I can't give you the address of our motherhouse because of X reason, and our prioress would prefer you to send all your letters to me because of Y reason. Eventually people will realise that they are being fobbed off and not getting anywhere close to even seeing the front door of the 'community', let alone entering it. Luckily the project is not well publicised - no website for it, no forum posts urging people to join - so it's unlikely that too many discerners will even cross paths with Leocadia.

Renee, I admire you for giving her the benefit of the doubt, but I think it would be good if you started contacting a few communities that we definitely know to exist. ;) Which country are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

Renee the Nunnabe
I agree that we shouldn't speculate about why somebody would pose as a nun. It could be for any one of many reasons, which might include psychological ill health or simply a deep personal loneliness, paired with naivete about what the consequences of such a game might be. It is best to try and think charitably about the person at all times.

However, about the project? I think we can fairly and legitimately say that the project is bogus. I read Leocadia's blog in full before she deleted all her posts, and even though I knew much less about religious life in those days, I was still able to realise that many of the things she was posting were not consistent with what I had seen of sisters and how they live - such as the fact that she, a newly professed sister, was on her own in the UK with the task of making a new foundation. Why would they send a newly professed for such a responsible job? And why only one sister? What was the diocese? She never would reveal it. There were things she wrote about her daily routine that just didn't add up either.

I don't think anyone is at risk of being conned, because rather than trying to recruit and organise people she seems to put them off - I can't give you the address of our motherhouse because of X reason, and our prioress would prefer you to send all your letters to me because of Y reason. Eventually people will realise that they are being fobbed off and not getting anywhere close to even seeing the front door of the 'community', let alone entering it. Luckily the project is not well publicised - no website for it, no forum posts urging people to join - so it's unlikely that too many discerners will even cross paths with Leocadia.

Renee, I admire you for giving her the benefit of the doubt, but I think it would be good if you started contacting a few communities that we definitely know to exist. ;) Which country are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

I do not wish to speculate on such a topic anymore, either. Often such conversations degrade into general feelings of avarice or loathing, and I just don't like that. My curiosity must stop where it infringes on others. 

Oh, yes. I'm about 99%+ certain it's bogus, but I'd still like to see what she has to say for myself. I am rather inquisitive, to say the least, and for me, this a chance to observe without causing harm. In the few times we've spoken, it's already been made clear to me that her claims are false. What drew my ire was that she was talking to others who didn't know, and making false claims and even trying to get sympathy -- she claimed that the motherhouse had been the victim of a robbery. Of course, I reserve judgement because I am aware that various factors can interact in individuals' lives to cause them to act in ways that do not appear moral, and such factors affect us all. 

I agree that it is definitely better that there is no false website or active recruitment going on here. I've seen "vocation" websites that were shams, and I'm glad that no such thing exists in this case. Such a thing would certainly have a capacity for harm, but I don't see the same capacity in this instance.  

Oh, I've been looking into those! :D I've from the USA. (So a Slovakian order would have been an odd choice anyway! But come on, when someone mentions St. Dymphna, you've just gotta look into it! xD) Thanks to y'all who helped me find them. :heart: And thanks for helping me determine the veracity of the claims.  

In another news, I can't give props and it's really saddening. :(  

I do not wish to speculate on such a topic anymore, either. Often such conversations degrade into general feelings of avarice or loathing, and I just don't like that. My curiosity must stop where it infringes on others. 

Oh, yes. I'm about 99%+ certain it's bogus, but I'd still like to see what she has to say for myself. I am rather inquisitive, to say the least, and for me, this a chance to observe without causing harm. In the few times we've spoken, it's already been made clear to me that her claims are false. What drew my ire was that she was talking to others who didn't know, and making false claims and even trying to get sympathy -- she claimed that the motherhouse had been the victim of a robbery. Of course, I reserve judgement because I am aware that various factors can interact in individuals' lives to cause them to act in ways that do not appear moral, and such factors affect us all. 

I agree that it is definitely better that there is no false website or active recruitment going on here. I've seen "vocation" websites that were shams, and I'm glad that no such thing exists in this case. Such a thing would certainly have a capacity for harm, but I don't see the same capacity in this instance.  

Oh, I've been looking into those! :D I've from the USA. (So a Slovakian order would have been an odd choice anyway! But come on, when someone mentions St. Dymphna, you've just gotta look into it! xD) Thanks to y'all who helped me find them. :heart: And thanks for helping me determine the veracity of the claims.  

In another news, I can't give props and it's really saddening. :(

Perhaps I wasn't very charitable in light of my cousin's experience. Renee, you are correct and we shouldn't speculate. I wish you all the luck in the world over your search. I shall keep you in my prayers. And I can't give props either. What went wrong?

Renee the Nunnabe
Perhaps I wasn't very charitable in light of my cousin's experience. Renee, you are correct and we shouldn't speculate. I wish you all the luck in the world over your search. I shall keep you in my prayers. And I can't give props either. What went wrong?

Ah, it's understandable! ^-^ Your cousin went through a hard ordeal, and it is such things that can be at stake. I wasn't very happy myself, watching as others believed everything that was said.  

Thank you! =)  

Huh. I thought maybe it was temporary, but now I haven't been able to give props for over two days . . . I like giving props. I keep trying to and then remembering, "oh yeah. That button isn't there anymore." :pinch:  

• 4 months later...

Go to google:    Zaba   choose people search  http://www.zabasearch.com/people/leonila+praxedes/spokane+wa/2167572236

Put in her last name and leave the state selection as-is all 50 states.   scroll down and see that there is a woman's name and it is in Washington State.  

Leonila Praxedes   
4709 N Monroe St   
Spokane, WA 99205
  (509) 327-9698

I am convinced this is her.  Sr Leocadia Praxedes DOES NOT EXIST.  This is a HOAX. She is on FB also under this name. I have had long conversation with her and the same story. She says she is in England setting up a foundation. When I suggested putting up photos of the "community" or other members of her "order", she said she would prefer just to have her photo.

Go to google:    Zaba   choose people search  http://www.zabasearc...e wa/2167572236

Put in her last name and leave the state selection as-is all 50 states.   scroll down and see that there is a woman's name and it is in Washington State.  

Leonila Praxedes   
4709 N Monroe St   
Spokane, WA 99205
  (509) 327-9698

I am convinced this is her.  Sr Leocadia Praxedes DOES NOT EXIST.  This is a HOAX. She is on FB also under this name. I have had long conversation with her and the same story. She says she is in England setting up a foundation. When I suggested putting up photos of the "community" or other members of her "order", she said she would prefer just to have her photo.

Edited by monabyrne

I was recently speaking with a person who claimed to be a sister from this order, but I am unable to find anything about the order online other than what she told me. 

She told me that they are a Slovakian order working with the mentally ill. That charism appeals to me very much :bounce: (and, well, my picture is of St. Dymphna for a reason), so I naturally wanted to find out more about the order, but can't find anything else about it online. :stars:

Does anyone know anything about this order or if it is even a legitimate order? 

Thank you.  

This "nun" does not exist. Sorry you were taking for a ride by her. Did you find a religious order Renee the Nunnabe? 

Edited by monabyrne

• 2 weeks later...

This "nun" does not exist. Sorry you were taking for a ride by her. Did you find a religious order Renee the Nunnabe? 

It's all very sad. Still can't get my head around a "fake" nun. I mean, how far does this go? Are there fake communities/convents/priests?