An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Thread For Ardill's Questions

ardillacid

ardillacid

I've been dating this yinzer for a while. She's Presbyterian. She's okay with raising kids Catholic but wants to get married in her church. Is this going to be an issue? :coffee:

3 hours ago, ardillacid said:

I've been dating this yinzer for a while. She's Presbyterian. She's okay with raising kids Catholic but wants to get married in her church. Is this going to be an issue? :coffee:

Yinzer, eh? It's not necessarily an issue, though you need to get a dispensation from the bishop to do so. Which basically means you need to fill out a form, say you aren't going to become Presbyterian, and promise to try to raise the kids Catholic. This article explains it in more detail, if you'd like. http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/marriage-outside-the-church.html.

Maximilianus

Here's my solid and indispensable advice... when the time comes, teach your little Yinzers about number 21.

He is Risen!

Could you have the big wedding with all the guests and reception etc at her church and then have a very small private Catholic wedding with just you two, the priest, and the witness before?  (kind of how you have to get your marriage license from the courthouse and blood test before)  I'm not up to speed on how the sacramental grace works in a mixed marriage, but I say the more the better!

enitharmon
1 hour ago, He is Risen! said:

kind of how you have to get your marriage license from the courthouse and blood test before

You need to get a blood test before you get married?

1 hour ago, He is Risen! said:

Could you have the big wedding with all the guests and reception etc at her church and then have a very small private Catholic wedding with just you two, the priest, and the witness before?  (kind of how you have to get your marriage license from the courthouse and blood test before)  I'm not up to speed on how the sacramental grace works in a mixed marriage, but I say the more the better!

No. The wedding at her Church is perfectly valid, there's no need for the second ceremony, and the Church would say don't have it. 

Nihil Obstat

And it would not be a sacramental marriage in either case. Simply a natural marriage.

ardillacid
14 hours ago, Amppax said:

Yinzer, eh? It's not necessarily an issue, though you need to get a dispensation from the bishop to do so. Which basically means you need to fill out a form, say you aren't going to become Presbyterian, and promise to try to raise the kids Catholic. This article explains it in more detail, if you'd like. http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/marriage-outside-the-church.html.

Thank you, sir. :coffee:

2 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

And it would not be a sacramental marriage in either case. Simply a natural marriage.

That isn't true:

Can.  1055 §1. The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring, has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptized.

§2. For this reason, a valid matrimonial contract cannot exist between the baptized without it being by that fact a sacrament.

Nihil Obstat
1 hour ago, Amppax said:

That isn't true:

Can.  1055 §1. The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring, has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptized.

§2. For this reason, a valid matrimonial contract cannot exist between the baptized without it being by that fact a sacrament.

My mistake, you are right.

16 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

My mistake, you are right.

All good, just wanted to make sure we aren't giving out incorrect info. 

21 hours ago, Socrates said:

Forcibly convert her, then carry her off.

He might break a nail......

PhuturePriest

Marry her under the pretense that her Presbyterian nonsense is all well and good, but then once you've trapped her forever passive-aggressively mention how stupid Presbyterianism is at every opportunity. She'll hopefully recognize the error of her ways and join the Church.

Nihil Obstat
10 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

Marry her under the pretense that her Presbyterian nonsense is all well and good, but then once you've trapped her forever passive-aggressively mention how stupid Presbyterianism is at every opportunity. She'll hopefully recognize the error of her ways and join the Church.

That is how I cured Katy of the errors of being American. :|