An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Novice - Regina Laudis

Thijs

From Sha Na Na performing a late summer benefit concert, to other performance and fine arts...to cheese making, land conservation, massage and yoga...to a beautiful novice-to-be dressed in red silk...

this is quite an interesting community of Benedictine nuns!  Their story is told in Dolores Hart's The Ear of the Heart:  An Actress' Journey from Hollywood to Holy Vows.  One can also read Mother Benedict:

Foundress of the Abbey of Regina Laudis.  While the community was subject to a Vatican-directed investigation, they certainly appear to have resolved any issues and are attracting vocations.  Like the

Sisters of Mercy (Alma, MI) and Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist (Meriden, CT), many of the Regina Laudis nuns are highly educated (doctors, lawyers, psychologists, etc.).  A "perk" for older VS discerners?  One of their postulants entered at 62 years of age!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

A "great vocation" is a person called by God and who responds to His grace. What one's education, intelligence or place on the ladder of success really has nothing to do with it. The 1st criteria in the Rule of St. Benedict is that one is truly seeking God. These sisters bring many gifts to this community that is true but it doesn't "make" a vocation. (The sisters I've met are really friendly and down to earth.)

In charity, SMC, I don't see the leap from Michael's description of "great vocations" to issues of "education, intelligence or place on the ladder of success."  I remember reading that the aim of

Benedictine life is to form Christ in its members, in order that the Spirit of Christ helps them carry out

actions worthy of Him.  It's a way of humility in the common life.  In terms of charism, apostolates,

ministry, etc.-- one's education, background or talents may well be part of the call to a particular community. This was recently addressed in another thread.

Reflecting on St. Benedict's insight that one comes to a monastery to seek God, Thomas Merton writes that "the end we seek is not merely something within ourselves, some personal quality added to ourselves, some new gift, it is God Himself."

In charity, SMC, I don't see the leap from Michael's description of "great vocations" to issues of "education, intelligence

or place on the ladder of success."  I remember reading that the aim of Benedictine life is to form Christ in its members,

in order that the Spirit of Christ inspires them to carry out actions worthy of Him.  It's a way of humility in the common life. 

In terms of charism, apostolates, ministry, etc.-- one's education or background may well be part of the call to a particular

community. This was recently addressed in another thread. 

Reflecting on St. Benedict's modicum that one comes to a monastery to seek God, Thomas Merton writes in The Monastic

Journey that "the end we seek is not merely something within ourselves, some personal quality added to ourselves, some

new gift, It is God Himself."

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I was just cautioning that we sometimes tend to see "good" vocations" or "great" vocations in terms of what "successes" people have had before they entered. It worries me sometimes. Those gifts and experiences are good and can be a wonderful benefit for one's monastic life but there is also a lot of purifying that goes with it.

I actually appreciate Sr. Mary Catherines comment very much.  There are times when I feel that I have nothing to contribute to a community because i do not have an extensive education. I have some college credits but no degree. 

To be honest if "massage and yoga" are going on in this community that is a bit....troubling. 

Why can we never discuss this community without bringing up how wacky we think they are?

There's a time and a place for talking about different communities' practices, what they emphasise, their background, and yes, offer our opinions. But this was this woman's special day, and it reflects badly on us that we can't just celebrate with her even for one little post.

You are right Marigold but I appreciated Sr's comment that in my opinion isn't referred to this particular community but to any community in general. This is a day of happiness and we rejoice with sister not for her particular qualities or gift but because the Lord has chosen her to be His bride, this is simply what we should keep in mind.

Sr. Cecilia Schullo, OSB, is doing advanced studies on the role of yoga in western monasticism!

http://www.nosarayoga.com/sister-cecilia-schullo

I think before we create some sort of ideasand condemn this nun as a heretic we better meet her and asks her what is her work all about and how does it is being faithful Catholic and a Benedictine nun. Maybe she could explain why.

The experience with the sisters is great and their Masses are faithfully orthodox and the way they meet their Benectine charism and the type of work that they have been doing is superb.

Have some charity. This type of attitude really disconcerting!

From Sha Na Na performing a late summer benefit concert, to other performance and fine arts...to cheese making, land conservation, massage and yoga...to a beautiful novice-to-be dressed in red silk...

this is quite an interesting community of Benedictine nuns!  Their story is told in Dolores Hart's The Ear of the Heart:  An Actress' Journey from Hollywood to Holy Vows.  One can also read Mother Benedict:

Foundress of the Abbey of Regina Laudis.  While the community was subject to a Vatican-directed investigation, they certainly appear to have resolved any issues and are attracting vocations.  Like the

Sisters of Mercy (Alma, MI) and Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist (Meriden, CT), many of the Regina Laudis nuns are highly educated (doctors, lawyers, psychologists, etc.).  A "perk" for older VS discerners?  One of their postulants entered at 62 years of age!

and it is great that they do have great vocations no matter what age..what seems to be your level of education compare to this nuns? for a name of Pia Jesu, please be charitable with your comments.attacking the sisters in any way is unchristian, don't you think?

Why can we never discuss this community without bringing up how wacky we think they are?

There's a time and a place for talking about different communities' practices, what they emphasise, their background, and yes, offer our opinions. But this was this woman's special day, and it reflects badly on us that we can't just celebrate with her even for one little post.

Thank you Marigold. You made sense. I appreaciate your comments in defence of this nuns. I am praying we may be more Christlike and less pharasaical during Lenten season.

I didn't read Pia Jesu's comments that way at all!! If anything, she seemed to be excited about this community.  :idontknow:

Edited by SilentJoy