An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Novice - Regina Laudis

Thijs

... snip ...

It's great to see the screen name of "Lioba" on VS.  She is a model par excellance for those who appreciate Benedictine spirituality.

I have an icon of her on my desktop!

I am a Benedictine oblate and Lioba is my patron. I have lurked for a very long time and I think I'll read more than I write. But of course all things Benedictine are very dear to me.

I know this community quite well and have been blessed by attending an annual retreat there for over twenty years. I would like to clarify a few things, which may be helpful to those who are interested in this community and are exploring a vocation there.

The first Abbess, the late Lady Abbess Benedict Duss, was a Benedictine nun in France. Before that, she was a surgeon. During WWII her Monastery was used for the war efforts, and she made a promise to God that whoever liberated her country of France (though interestingly enough, she was born in the US), she would found a Benedictine Monastery there in thanksgiving. I had the great privilege of meeting her and listening to her memories first hand, and like some of the other communities that were mentioned, she told me directly that she believed that completely separating oneself from their "former life" to enter religious life was unhealthy. She believed that each individual was created with special gifts and talents, unique only to them, and through proper spiritual formation those gifts and talents could be honed to the highest level possible for the greater glory of God, for the good of the community and the benefit of the world wide Church. I have noticed that often this "goal" is judged and misunderstood. They absolutely live a proper Benedictine life and live off the work of their hands. Every single nun in the community is expected (and does) participate in manual labor. Because they have a working farm and offer hospitality, they must do this work every day. For the record, I do know some nuns whom have entered there without a higher degree. Only through formation did they discover what they wanted to offer the community and education being a value, they pursued higher education. 

It is also important to know that they chant the entire Divine Office in Latin, including getting up in the middle of the night. They also have constitutional enclosure, which is very different that Papal enclosure. This is confusing for some people and does not make them "less" as Nuns. 

I can also tell you, from personal experience and a long lasting relationship with the Abbey and in particular some of the nuns I have grown very close to from a distance  and through my retreats (I am in California and they are in Connecticut) they do not use the internet for emails (they write letters!) and keep enclosure in that manner along with other ways  (if you look at their website, you will see that while their property is very vast, there are designated specific places that reserved only for the nuns). As an example, you would never find one posting on this site. 

As for their formation - they have postulants,  novices (who wear sparking white veils) and "juniors" (who are in temporary vows and they wear cream colored veils). When they make their solemn vows, they are then called "Reverend Mother" BUT out of humility, when referring to themselves - even in letters, they ALWAYS say "Sister." I was on retreat once with someone who could NOT understand this process AT ALL.  Since they also introduce themselves as "Sister," if somebody writes about them, they might use Sister instead of Mother, not realizing the difference. They have also kept the Benedictine tradition of the Consecration of Virgins, which as most of you know, is a very different rite than when they make their solemn vows. Lastly, when the novices or juniors go out of Abbey for a specific reason, they wear a black veil so as to conform to one another and not call stand out from one another. 

Finally, they are listed as Benedictines of the Ancient Observance. For those of you who are really interested in religious life and the history of life in Western culture, I would suggest that you read how the Benedictine Monasteries were truly the center of many villages and towns all across Europe. It was where people went for medical treatment, schooling, Mass, conflict resolution and so much more. I know - again from personal conversations - that the Lady Abbess wanted to recreate this at Regina Laudis.  For this dream to become a reality, the nuns would have to be women of excellence as individuals, willing to share that excellence with others and for the Church. As one nun said, "None of us were hatched as nuns, we grew into it." Profound. As I said, some of the women that I know did not enter the Monastery with a degree under her belt or a particular burning passion for something. But all of the nuns that entered knew that they would be challenged to give God and the community their very best, and to undergo conversion of manners...a process which in fact takes years. 

This Benedictine Abbey cannot be compared to the Carmelite, Dominican or Carthusian vocation or any other. It is unique and it is not for everyone. I must admit I chafe when I hear comments about their "standards." The Jesuits have had these same high standards for centuries and I know more men that have been flat out rejected by them than admitted. And look at what their high standards produced: a Holy Father.  Finally, what I admire and love most of all about the Abbey of Regina Laudis is the fact that they are open to everyone. They hold no restrictions on age, color, weight, background or anything else I can think of at this time. (I don't think I need to clarify that being a single practicing Catholic woman is necessary!) Their discernment process is, like them, individual and relationship based. I have known women who have come to the conclusion that in the end, their life wasn't for them, but I still have to meet someone who REALLY spent the time, did the work and got to know the community (and didn't enter) who had anything but positive things to say about the experience. I speak with a certain level of authority on this subject for at one time, I deeply considered them and I was encouraged every step of the way. When I discovered I was called to something different, my relationship with the community did not change, and I was deeply supported in that decision. I will never regret the time I spent in serious discernment and discussion with them about my possible entrance into their community, and I am not hesitant in telling you that the entire experience stretched me, changed me and brought me to a better understanding of myself and how I most wanted to serve God. I would hope that we all of us can look at them as a community and apply their value of excellence in all things to our own lives, in whatever way is possible for us. 

I know this community quite well and have been blessed by attending an annual retreat there for over twenty years. I would like to clarify a few things, which may be helpful to those who are interested in this community and are exploring a vocation there.

The first Abbess, the late Lady Abbess Benedict Duss, was a Benedictine nun in France. Before that, she was a surgeon. During WWII her Monastery was used for the war efforts, and she made a promise to God that whoever liberated her country of France (though interestingly enough, she was born in the US), she would found a Benedictine Monastery there in thanksgiving. I had the great privilege of meeting her and listening to her memories first hand, and like some of the other communities that were mentioned, she told me directly that she believed that completely separating oneself from their "former life" to enter religious life was unhealthy. She believed that each individual was created with special gifts and talents, unique only to them, and through proper spiritual formation those gifts and talents could be honed to the highest level possible for the greater glory of God, for the good of the community and the benefit of the world wide Church. I have noticed that often this "goal" is judged and misunderstood. They absolutely live a proper Benedictine life and live off the work of their hands. Every single nun in the community is expected (and does) participate in manual labor. Because they have a working farm and offer hospitality, they must do this work every day. For the record, I do know some nuns whom have entered there without a higher degree. Only through formation did they discover what they wanted to offer the community and education being a value, they pursued higher education. 

It is also important to know that they chant the entire Divine Office in Latin, including getting up in the middle of the night. They also have constitutional enclosure, which is very different that Papal enclosure. This is confusing for some people and does not make them "less" as Nuns. 

I can also tell you, from personal experience and a long lasting relationship with the Abbey and in particular some of the nuns I have grown very close to from a distance  and through my retreats (I am in California and they are in Connecticut) they do not use the internet for emails (they write letters!) and keep enclosure in that manner along with other ways  (if you look at their website, you will see that while their property is very vast, there are designated specific places that reserved only for the nuns). As an example, you would never find one posting on this site. 

As for their formation - they have postulants,  novices (who wear sparking white veils) and "juniors" (who are in temporary vows and they wear cream colored veils). When they make their solemn vows, they are then called "Reverend Mother" BUT out of humility, when referring to themselves - even in letters, they ALWAYS say "Sister." I was on retreat once with someone who could NOT understand this process AT ALL.  Since they also introduce themselves as "Sister," if somebody writes about them, they might use Sister instead of Mother, not realizing the difference. They have also kept the Benedictine tradition of the Consecration of Virgins, which as most of you know, is a very different rite than when they make their solemn vows. Lastly, when the novices or juniors go out of Abbey for a specific reason, they wear a black veil so as to conform to one another and not call stand out from one another. 

Finally, they are listed as Benedictines of the Ancient Observance. For those of you who are really interested in religious life and the history of life in Western culture, I would suggest that you read how the Benedictine Monasteries were truly the center of many villages and towns all across Europe. It was where people went for medical treatment, schooling, Mass, conflict resolution and so much more. I know - again from personal conversations - that the Lady Abbess wanted to recreate this at Regina Laudis.  For this dream to become a reality, the nuns would have to be women of excellence as individuals, willing to share that excellence with others and for the Church. As one nun said, "None of us were hatched as nuns, we grew into it." Profound. As I said, some of the women that I know did not enter the Monastery with a degree under her belt or a particular burning passion for something. But all of the nuns that entered knew that they would be challenged to give God and the community their very best, and to undergo conversion of manners...a process which in fact takes years. 

This Benedictine Abbey cannot be compared to the Carmelite, Dominican or Carthusian vocation or any other. It is unique and it is not for everyone. I must admit I chafe when I hear comments about their "standards." The Jesuits have had these same high standards for centuries and I know more men that have been flat out rejected by them than admitted. And look at what their high standards produced: a Holy Father.  Finally, what I admire and love most of all about the Abbey of Regina Laudis is the fact that they are open to everyone. They hold no restrictions on age, color, weight, background or anything else I can think of at this time. (I don't think I need to clarify that being a single practicing Catholic woman is necessary!) Their discernment process is, like them, individual and relationship based. I have known women who have come to the conclusion that in the end, their life wasn't for them, but I still have to meet someone who REALLY spent the time, did the work and got to know the community (and didn't enter) who had anything but positive things to say about the experience. I speak with a certain level of authority on this subject for at one time, I deeply considered them and I was encouraged every step of the way. When I discovered I was called to something different, my relationship with the community did not change, and I was deeply supported in that decision. I will never regret the time I spent in serious discernment and discussion with them about my possible entrance into their community, and I am not hesitant in telling you that the entire experience stretched me, changed me and brought me to a better understanding of myself and how I most wanted to serve God. I would hope that we all of us can look at them as a community and apply their value of excellence in all things to our own lives, in whatever way is possible for us. 

This is the corrected post. I don't know what happened!

The first Abbess, the late Lady Abbess Benedict Duss, was a Benedictine nun in France. Before that, she was a surgeon. During WWII her Monastery was used for the war efforts, and she made a promise to God that whoever liberated her country of France (though interestingly enough, she was born in the US), she would found a Benedictine Monastery there in thanksgiving. I had the great privilege of meeting her and listening to her memories first hand, and like some of the other communities that were mentioned, she told me directly that she believed that completely separating oneself from their "former life" to enter religious life was unhealthy. She believed that each individual was created with special gifts and talents, unique only to them, and through proper spiritual formation those gifts and talents could be honed to the highest level possible for the greater glory of God, for the good of the community and the benefit of the world wide Church. I have noticed that often this "goal" is judged and misunderstood. They absolutely live a proper Benedictine life and live off the work of their hands as St. Benedict's Rule instructs his sons and daughters. Every single nun in the community is expected (and does) participate in manual labor. Because they have a working farm and offer hospitality, they must do this work every day. For the record, I do know some nuns whom have entered there without a higher degree. Only through formation did they discover what they wanted to offer the community and education being a value, they pursued higher education. 

I can also tell you, from personal experience and a long lasting relationship with the Abbey and in particular some of the nuns I have grown very close to (I am in California and they are in Connecticut) they do not use the internet for emails (they write letters!) and keep enclosure in that manner along with other ways  (if you look at their website, you will see that while their property is very vast, there are designated specific places that are "cloistered/reserved only for the nuns"). For a further example, you would never find one posting on this site. They also use the grille.

As for their formation - they have postulants,  novices (who wear sparking white veils) and "juniors" (who are in temporary vows and they wear cream colored veils). When they make their solemn vows, they are then given the title of "Reverend Mother" BUT out of humility, when referring to themselves - even in letters, they ALWAYS say "Sister." I was on retreat once with someone who could NOT understand this process AT ALL.  Since they also introduce themselves as "Sister," if somebody writes about them, they might use Sister instead of Mother, not realizing the difference. They have also kept the Benedictine tradition of the Consecration of Virgins, which as most of you know, is a very different rite than when they make their solemn vows. Lastly, when the novices or juniors go out of Abbey for a specific reason, they wear a black veil so as to conform to one another and not call attention to themselves or stand out from one another. 

Finally, they are listed as Benedictines of the Ancient Observance. For those of you who are really interested in religious life and the history of life in Western culture, I would suggest that you read how the Benedictine Monasteries were truly the center of many villages and towns all across Europe. It was where people went for medical treatment, schooling, Mass, conflict resolution and so much more. I know - again from personal conversations - that the Lady Abbess wanted to recreate this at Regina Laudis.  For this dream to become a reality, the nuns would have to be women of excellence as individuals, willing to share that excellence with others and for the Church. As one nun said, "None of us were hatched as nuns, we grew into it." Profound. As I said, some of the women that I know did not enter the Abbey with a degree under her belt or a particular burning passion for something. But all of the nuns that entered knew that they would be challenged to give God and the community their very best, and to undergo conversion of manners...a process which in fact takes years. 

This Benedictine Abbey cannot be compared to the Carmelite, Dominican or Carthusian vocation or any other. It is unique and it is not for everyone. I must admit I chafe when I hear comments about their "standards." The Jesuits have had these same high standards for centuries and I know more men who have been flat out rejected by them than admitted. And look at what their high standards produced: a Holy Father.  

Finally, what I admire and love most of all about the Abbey of Regina Laudis is the fact that they are open to everyone. They hold no restrictions on age, color, weight, background or anything else I can think of at this time. (I don't think I need to clarify that being a single practicing Catholic woman is necessary!) Their discernment process is, like them, individual and relationship based. I have known women who have come to the conclusion that in the end, their life wasn't for them, but I still have yet to meet someone who REALLY spent the time, did the work and got to know the community (and didn't enter) who had anything but positive things to say about the experience. I speak with a certain level of authority on this subject for at one time, I deeply considered them and I was encouraged every step of the way. When I discovered I was called to something different, my relationship with the community did not change, and I was deeply supported in that decision. I will never regret the time I spent in serious discernment and discussion with them about my possible entrance into their community, and I am not hesitant in telling you that the entire experience stretched me, changed me and brought me to a better understanding of myself and how I most wanted to serve God. I would hope that all of us can look at them as a community and apply their value of excellence in all things and their acknowledgment of our individuality to our own lives, in whatever way is possible for us.  

Edited for typo's.

Edited by SNJM

Spem in alium

Thank you for posting this wonderful news about Sister Gregory! She looks radiant! Plus, she studied in Australia...!  :winner:

emma8201986

Thanks for clarifying the veil color and title issues which have always baffled me. One more question, SNJM, in the HBO special about Mother Dolores, one sister interviewed is wearing a cream colored veil and says she has been in religious life 12 years. Does it really take that long to make final vows?

If I had a contemplative vocation, I would definitely explore this community.

SNJM, Thanks for your insights... it is always good to find out from someone who actually knows a particular community.

And... I think if you asked a mod they would take out the two problem posts....