An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Novice - Regina Laudis

Thijs

maximillion

I didn't read Pia Jesu's comments that way at all!! 

Me neither.........I am as confounded as silentjoy.

But never mind.

What is important is that the community is growing, they have vocations and do God's will.

Didn't I read a while back that they had stopped accepting Possies because they have no more space and have made an appeal for the house to be re-styled or something.......

I do think Mother Dolores Hart is a little eccentric but that's MPO.

Thanks, Silent Joy & Maximillion for understanding the intent of my post!  I do indeed celebrate the "beautiful novice-to-be" and have always found the Regina Laudis community to be most interesting.

During the early part of my vocation discernment, I wrote to the nuns several times--and received very

supportive responses.  I was finishing up my doctoral studies in Literature (since you inquired, Michael)

and was even humorously "advised" to take up bookbinding while immersed in "all of those texts"!  I believe that God has a place for each of us...and if it is religious life...one can experience a most

beautiful dialectic...a mutual exchange of gifts between the individual and community!  How we must

thank God for the many divergent charisms and apostolates out there!

For those who misinterpreted my post as being uncharitable (which is far from the truth), I apologize for any wording that may have led you to that conclusion!

i just dropped in and looked at the link of the Entrance into the Novitiate and must say that I find it really beautiful how they seem to value and to cherish each sisters unique identity, her past, her tradition. Clearly the Entrance into the Novitiate marks something totally "new" (name/habit/reception into community life), but you take your past along.

Lilllabettt

i think a problem is that the OPs 1st language is not english. hence word choice/interpretation issues.

Thanks, Silent Joy & Maximillion for understanding the intent of my post!  I do indeed celebrate the "beautiful novice-to-be" and have always found the Regina Laudis community to be most interesting.

During the early part of my vocation discernment, I wrote to the nuns several times--and received very

supportive responses.  I was finishing up my doctoral studies in Literature (since you inquired, Michael)

and was even humorously "advised" to take up bookbinding while immersed in "all of those texts"!  I believe that God has a place for each of us...and if it is religious life...one can experience a most

beautiful dialectic...a mutual exchange of gifts between the individual and community!  How we must

thank God for the many divergent charisms and apostolates out there!

For those who misinterpreted my post as being uncharitable (which is far from the truth), I apologize for any wording that may have led you to that conclusion!

Thank you Pia, what a lovely response.

For what it's worth, my comments weren't directed at someone in particular. I think I just got annoyed that Regina Laudis topics always get derailed into 'ooh, they're so unusual and I wonder why', whether in a negative or positive way. It's great that this woman is progressing in monastic life and that's all that matters for now! :)

I am surprised I didn't see this on their website... (I kind stalk there website) :blush: But many prayers for Sister Gregory and hopefully one day I will be there with her.

I had the pleasure of meeting the Prioress, Mother Dolores, and she was incredibly down-to-earth, and peaceful and wise.

To be honest if "massage and yoga" are going on in this community that is a bit....troubling. 

I hesitate to post this link because this is a nun (actually a sister) who doesn't wear a habit and some will dismiss her simply for that. But she is also a  a Zen Buddhist master who considers that Zen Buddhism has made her a better Roman Catholic. This is Sr. Elaine's order.

As far as Regina Laudis goes, if you look at the kind of physical labour many of the nuns put in every day, I am not surprised they need massages.

You do not need a belief in a particular god to practice yoga or Buddhism, however both can be used to focus a person spiritually which can complement the spritual practices of nuns and sisters, as well as other religious people. Obviously the superiors of Sr. Elaine and Sr. Cecilia have no problem with with what these women are doing.

I hesitate to post this link because this is a nun (actually a sister) who doesn't wear a habit and some will dismiss her simply for that. But she is also a  a Zen Buddhist master who considers that Zen Buddhism has made her a better Roman Catholic. This is Sr. Elaine's order.

As far as Regina Laudis goes, if you look at the kind of physical labour many of the nuns put in every day, I am not surprised they need massages.

You do not need a belief in a particular god to practice yoga or Buddhism, however both can be used to focus a person spiritually which can complement the spritual practices of nuns and sisters, as well as other religious people. Obviously the superiors of Sr. Elaine and Sr. Cecilia have no problem with with what these women are doing.

I respectfully disagree with your post Lumiere and the link you posted, but I won't de-rail this thread further by expounding on my reasons, however. 

Congratulations to Sister Gregory. 

emma8201986

I have a question - just curious. I think it's interesting that Sr. Cecilia does yoga. I have found that I can meditate very well and enjoy doing it while I'm doing yoga. The article identifies her as "Sister" and says that she's been in the abbey 28 years. I thought Regina Laudis nuns didn't get clack veils until final profession at which time they were called "Mother." Is this wrong?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

She has been a nun for 18 years. She may not be Solemnly Professed yet or she is not what we call a "choir" nun. They take a long time between stages of formation.

According to the Mother Dolores Hart's autobiography she is actually Mother Cecilia Schullo. She entered in 1993 and holds a "master of education in interdisciplinary studies with a specialization in monastic yoga education".

There is an excellent article in the U.S. Catholic on the role of yoga within the Catholic Church:

http://www.uscatholic.org/articles/201304/so-what-about-yoga-practice-27153

I think that the question goes back to the initial posts on this thread--that Regina Laudis has, from its founding (by Mother Benedict Duss) in 1947/1948, celebrated the unique talents of each candidate.  She is quoted in her biography as saying that "every woman who entered must have some gift, talent or profession and must be equal to or superior to others in her field."  Be it big or small, it is fully-explored

and used for the betterment of the community...and if you have the opportunity to taste their Bethlehem Cheese...we (in the world) benefit, too!  Likewise, the ironwork coming out of their Blacksmith Shop and

woodworking designs are incredible!

Surely we can say that they strive for a balance between holiness and wholeness (of the individual).

It's great to see the screen name of "Lioba" on VS.  She is a model par excellance for those who appreciate Benedictine spirituality.

I have an icon of her on my desktop!

I have a question - just curious. I think it's interesting that Sr. Cecilia does yoga. I have found that I can meditate very well and enjoy doing it while I'm doing yoga. The article identifies her as "Sister" and says that she's been in the abbey 28 years. I thought Regina Laudis nuns didn't get clack veils until final profession at which time they were called "Mother." Is this wrong?

I don't know, but I could easily imagine that they use "Mother" at the abbey but out in public might use "Sister" because people are used to calling nuns "Sister" and anything else is confusing and they end up having to answer the same question approximately a bajillion times and eventually enough already, if she just goes by "Sister" everything becomes a lot simpler.

I'm guessing that might be it.

Krissy!!! I just saw you were on here... (I usually don't read who is writing the stuff, I have learned different peoples styles of writing on here.)