An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why So Few Ef Orders?

oremus1

If you're looking at monasteries, I bet you could find one that celebrates the Ordinary Form in a formal enough manner for you.

If you're looking at active congregations, well, a lot of the time you're going to go to the neighborhood parish, whatever it is.  And they vary a lot.  And I don't know much but I can pretty much guarantee that at some point you'll be in a parish where their approach to the liturgy drives you up the wall.  And I'm not just saying that because you have a preference for the Extraordinary Form.  Whatever forms of the liturgy are particularly nourishing for you, whether you love the Latin or think Marty Haugen is the greatest thing since sliced bread, at some point you'll be stationed in an area where the local parish leaves you cold and flat but it's what you've got.  And then your task is to be grateful for what's there (it is still Jesus after all!), learn that there can be good and holy people who are nurtured by something very different than what nurtures you, and then when you get a chance to attend a liturgy that is particularly nourishing for you, you can be especially grateful for that opportunity.

If you're looking at monasteries, I bet you could find one that celebrates the Ordinary Form in a formal enough manner for you.

If you're looking at active congregations, well, a lot of the time you're going to go to the neighborhood parish, whatever it is.  And they vary a lot.  And I don't know much but I can pretty much guarantee that at some point you'll be in a parish where their approach to the liturgy drives you up the wall.  And I'm not just saying that because you have a preference for the Extraordinary Form.  Whatever forms of the liturgy are particularly nourishing for you, whether you love the Latin or think Marty Haugen is the greatest thing since sliced bread, at some point you'll be stationed in an area where the local parish leaves you cold and flat but it's what you've got.  And then your task is to be grateful for what's there (it is still Jesus after all!), learn that there can be good and holy people who are nurtured by something very different than what nurtures you, and then when you get a chance to attend a liturgy that is particularly nourishing for you, you can be especially grateful for that opportunity.

why would anyone be nurtured spiritually by their shepherd, the priest, turning their back on the Lord?

brandelynmarie

should we offer Masses and penance in reparation for the Novus Ordo?

Kindly, gently, no. :) For example, I am more spiritually drawn to Maronite Rite. I find it extremely reverent & beautiful with the focus on the Majesty & Mystery of God.  The songs may not be to my liking. I don't personally care for the noisy sign of peace. It often reminds me of when our Lord walked the streets of Jerusalem...but I offer HIm my love & reverence to the best of my ability whatever rite I attend...

OnlySunshine

why would anyone be nurtured spiritually by their shepherd, the priest, turning their back on the Lord?

It seems to me that you are focusing too much on one singular aspect.  If the Church allows for both the EF and OF forms, then the priest is not turning their back on the Lord.

Nihil Obstat

Depends on one's reasons for preferring the traditional Mass. For those priests who choose to primarily celebrate the traditional Mass, for instance the FSSP, a fairly large proportion of them would not celebrate the Novus Ordo no matter how formally it was done. My priest for instance categorically will not celebrate the Novus Ordo, and as he would be the celebrant it is simply not a matter of how formally it could be performed. He will not even concelebrate the diocesan chrism Mass. It stands to reason that many laypeople would feel similarly.

brandelynmarie

It seems to me that you are focusing too much on one singular aspect. If the Church allows for both the EF and OF forms, then the priest is not turning their back on the Lord.

This is what I tried to say, but didn't, lol. And now that I think about it, the Maronite Rite I attend has the priest facing the people...& it is still very reverential. Edited by brandelynmarie

This makes me think of a statement by St Dorotheos of Gaza:

I heard of one person that when he came to one of his friends and found the room in disarray and even dirty, he would say to himself: "Blessed is this person, because having deferred his concerns for earthly cares, he has concentrated his mind that much toward Heaven, that he doesn’t even have time to tidy up his room." But when he came to another friend’s place and found his room tidy and neat, he would say to himself; "The soul of this person is as clean as his room, and the condition of the room speaks of his soul." And he never judged another that he was negligent or proud, but through his kind disposition, saw good in everyone and received benefits from everyone. May the good Lord grant us the same kind disposition, so that we too may receive benefits from everyone and so that we never notice the failings of others

You could interpret the priest's posture during the Novus Ordo as 'turning his back on the Lord' - but you could also interpret it as him standing with Jesus and facing out, demonstrating that he is acting in persona christi for us.

Some people might interpret the priest's posture during the Extraordinary Form as cold and exclusionary, shutting out the people and turning Mass into an empty performance - but they could also interpret it as the priest demonstrating a profound intimacy with Jesus, and encouraging us to cultivate respect for that and to strive for it ourselves in the stillness of our hearts.

Always take the most loving interpretation. It is the best way to pray, especially if you are going to be a religious sister. They often find themselves in situations that wouldn't be their first choice, but obedience makes it necessary for them to be there, and looking at things in the kindest possible light brings more good to them and to the world than finding things to criticise.

Edited by beatitude

brandelynmarie

^^^^^ This. :) Beautiful.

And now I know how to explain my disorganized house :hehe:

OnlySunshine

^^^^^ This. :) Beautiful.

And now I know how to explain my disorganized house :hehe:

I know how to explain my disorganized room.  :hehe2:

should we offer Masses and penance in reparation for the Novus Ordo?

Oremus, why would you post something so hurtful and anti-Catholic? Such controversy doesn't belong on VS.

veritasluxmea

it is so painful when the Lord is at the centre of your heart and life, yet he is shunted off to the side during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. So disturbing as you prepare for Holy Communion  that they all leap excitedly to make the hug of peace with everyone, including the priest without purifying his hands. So awful they hold hands to sign the Our Father. Dont even let me continue.

I think it's important to note that not every NO parish/mass does things like that. Many NO masses have the tabernacle front and center, have a quiet and respectful sign of peace, and don't hold hands for the Our Father. Just because something is NO doesn't mean it's done irreverently. And technically, none of those things make the mass invalid or "bad". The Church has approved of the NO, it's here to stay.

Also consider that before Vatican II, some (many?) masses were done in badly-pronounced Latin, were hurried, not every woman covered their hair, people would smoke in the pews, and the list of peccadilloes goes on. Just because it's a Latin mass doesn't mean it's a reverent mass either! 

brandelynmarie

yeah I put the wrong word in the genitive. Oh well ... pride cometh before the fall. ;)

You are still way ahead of me, lol. :console:

maximillion

I have an excuse for my disorganised life......love it.

In the convent in the early days my NM gave me a personal conference on the nature of charity in the sisterhood.

"Whatever you observe in your Sisters, whatever you see of their behaviour, always and without fail think with charity. You see X Sister apparently flouting the rule - presume she has an extraordinary permission. You notice Sister Y overeating - think only that she must have worked hard that morning. If Sister V speaks to you sharply, or criticises you, embrace it not only for your humility but think well of that Sister who may be struggling with the Dark Night. In other words, have no judgement in your heart."

It was and has been a difficult path, and still is, but yes, judge not.

I attend the NO because that is the form in my parish church. It is not noisy or rowdy, but cordial and polite ( we have to be British about it! )

If I see someone doing something 'off', I try to have that same attitude we fostered in the convent.