An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It A God Given Right To Teminate A Pregnancy

add

how does so-called reproductive rights apply only to females, shouldn't the male have just as much a say in the life?

shouldn't the new life count for something...  who speaks for the unborn?

grand parents are genetically responsible and have just as much  reproductive rights as the mother too

Edited by add

HisChildForever

I always laugh when pro-abortion women yell and hiss when a man expresses pro-life views. Because, as they reason, men have no say in this matter.

But then they cheer when another man agrees with them. And they encourage this man to speak out.

Wut.

PhuturePriest

I once debated 3 hysterically mad women over this subject, and "No ovaries, no opinion!" was thrown at me. I found it terribly ironic that later on in the debate they began bashing the Church, despite the fact none of them were Catholic.

Anastasia13

how does so-called reproductive rights apply only to females, shouldn't the male have just as much a say in the life?

grand parents are genetically responsible and have just as much  reproductive rights as the mother too

Maybe to some it isn't genetic material that matters but the carrying of it. So theoretically, surrogate mother would have more say than a biological mother. Except then the biological parents would object, which would bring us back to at least both parents should have a say in the child, all things being (other than consideration of abortion) normal and healthy, of safe age and physical condition to carry a child.

Anastasia13

Double post. Just click prop and have a blessed day. 

Edited by Light and Truth

I once debated 3 hysterically mad women over this subject, and "No ovaries, no opinion!" was thrown at me. I found it terribly ironic that later on in the debate they began bashing the Church, despite the fact none of them were Catholic.

No rosaries, no opinion!

I always laugh when pro-abortion women yell and hiss when a man expresses pro-life views. Because, as they reason, men have no say in this matter.

This happened in Ohio recently: 

[media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx-FFRdugCs [/media]

Fortunately, the attacker was arrested and the pro-lifers win one in the court of secular media.

Edited by Norseman82

Semper Catholic

I would say for a lot of women (and men) it's about keeping the government out of your own personal decisions and rights. Reproductive rights are just that, rights.

The pro-life movement think people are foaming at the mouth to get their buy 1 get 1 free abortion and it just doesn't exist.

I just don't understand how you can want the government to stay out of your reproductive choices at the same time insisting that the government force other people to pay for your choices.

People trivialize the magnitude of this subject frequently because they dismiss it as some crazy, radical feminist plight that has no place amongst rational people. I get that, but its stupid. I hope you realize that men do have a huge hand in the "so-called" reproductive rights of women...most of the people who make the decisions on this matter at a large scale are men. Not only is it a majority of men doing this in our political system but its 100% men doing so in the Church, so stop complaining.

Also, I do agree completely that men should have an equal share in the decision on a personal scale. If you are a husband you get rights. If you are a random nobody screaming at a woman from on the street you need to watch what you say because you have no clue what is or isnt going on in their life to make certain decisions.

You have to understand that men  have had the upper hand in society since forever...and its comes off as very grating to have men try to QQ about this one and attempt to control it or cry about how their voice is not heard. I think mens voices should be heard, but cmon...please understand how youre coming off. Its really not difficult to understand why women react so defensively about it.

If people on both extremes of the argument werent such complete knuckleheads maybe we would see progress. 

Edited by CrossCuT

I just don't understand how you can want the government to stay out of your reproductive choices at the same time insisting that the government force other people to pay for your choices.

Well I mean, we Joe Shmoe politician to dictate our medical care but we want them to pay for said care right? I know Catholics view womens health care as this satanic catch phrase, but in reality, we all do similar things. 

I dont really want the brainless politicians voting on things that would dictate medical care for my specific conditions, but at the same time its the governments duty to care for their citizens. 

Credo in Deum

This should be a bumper sticker. 

. If you are a husband you get rights.  

Okay, Now we are getting somewhere

Equal rights?  What do you think would be fair??? 

The modern feminist movement clearly gives no rights to men.

I.E.: if the child is born the unwed father can and will be forced to pay child support.  

Isn’t the embryo just as much the fathers as the mothers, genetically speaking (equal)?

Grandparents too deserve some rights, from a genetic standpoint

I’m not talking about the picketer in front of a Planned Parenthood clinic; I’m talking about the biological father. 

Not to be redundant, but what rights does or should the bio-dad have when it comes to his unborn baby in a casual relationship.

Okay, Now we are getting somewhere

Equal rights?  What do you think would be fair??? 

The modern feminist movement clearly gives no rights to men.

I.E.: if the child is born the unwed father can and will be forced to pay child support.  

Isn’t the embryo just as much the fathers as the mothers, genetically speaking (equal)?

Grandparents too deserve some rights, from a genetic standpoint

I’m not talking about the picketer in front of a Planned Parenthood clinic; I’m talking about the biological father. 

Not to be redundant, but what rights does or should the bio-dad have when it comes to his unborn baby in a casual relationship.

There is so much diversity in the feminist movement itself right now that sometimes they are in disagreement with themselves. I am a feminist and I do believe that if a man and a women do the tango and make a baby, the male should have the right to a say in that baby's future. Of course not withstanding he is a creep, drug user, cray-cray, or whatever else.

I dunno so much about the grandparents, I mean, if something happened to the child's direct mother and father, then yeah, you should look for the next immediate relative. 

I dont think anyone is going to fight you for the paternal father having a say...I think its more in the instance of a male approaching a complete stranger and trying to discuss his overall plan to have a say in her private choices. In which case, that guy should be punched in the mouth. 

Back home, the Rachel's Vineyard program met 3 weekends of the month for those trying to heal from an abortion. The fourth was for those suffering through a miscarriage. Our miscarriage group had one guy whose ex-wife had an abortion without his knowledge. He had been in the other group, but his anger levels got him kicked out. He had a lot of the same anger and sorrow issues that we did.