An Old School Catholic Message Board

Selling Scapulars To A Self-proclaimed "witch/pagan/etc"?

AuthorOfMyLife

AuthorOfMyLife

Hello, all!

I have been a member of Vocation Station for a while, but I didn't my question was appropriate for them, so I came here.

This is my question. I make and sell hand-embroidered scapulars (my Etsy shop is here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StellaMarigoldArt), and I recently had an order from someone referring to herself as a "Pagan," with an email address including "Witches" and "Crone," and with a physical address that led me to a website that advocates and provides psychic readings, Tarot card readings, witchcraft lessons, and so forth. The website claims a devotion to Our Lady, but in a VERY non-Catholic and "new-age" way. (I am not going to be more specific than that, since she is my customer and I don't want to give away private information).

My problem is that I'm really struggling with whether or not it is right to send her the scapular. I am aware that my scapulars, since they are not blessed before they are sold, are basically just pieces of embroidered cloth, but they still have the images of the Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart on them!

What do you think is the best thing to do?

A) Refund the money and keep the scapular

B) Send the scapular, but inform her that I don't want her to try to purchase anything else from my shop

C) Send the scapular and don't say anything

Even if I refund the payment, I will have to explain, and I'm not sure what to say. "Sorry, you're involved in some pretty awful stuff and I don't want my scapular in your hands"?!? 

Also, to be perfectly honest, I'm a little afraid of what she might do to me if she gets angry (since she's so into magic). I don't dismiss this kind of thing as harmless.

Thank you so much for reading all this, and thank you in advance for your advice!

brandelynmarie

D) After she pays for it, get it blessed & mail it to her :evil:

Then pray for her like crazy! :amen:

You'll never know what graces she would be open to...

Edited by brandelynmarie

PhuturePriest

I am good friends with a Wiccan, and he is not vindictive and/or crazy enough to perform a negative magical spell on someone because they didn't do something he wanted. Then again, he isn't into psychic nonsense and tarot cards, so he isn't the same exact type of Wiccan.

But yeah, Wiccans/Witches aren't actually as mean and vindictive as the stereotypes and stories suggest, with a witch boiling a deadly potion in her cauldron as she cackles evilly because the local guy at the tavern turned her down.

I understand the concern, and when I first opened the thread, my plan was to write: "DO NOT SEND IT!" But then I thought, "We often hide scapulars in the homes or belongings of heathens in order to bring them the grace of conversion, so obviously the power of the scapular is such that it can overcome even stubborn disbelief."

So now I say: SEND IT!  :like2:

EDIT: And all the honor to you for your conscientious salesmanship!

Edited by curiousing

AuthorOfMyLife

Thank you all so much!

Since I have to sew the cord into the scapular, I'm considering sewing a small Green Scapular between the panels! (in the spirit of your post, Brandelynmarie!)

Futurepacker, I'm not saying she's automatically vindictive or mean; in fact, she seems very sweet. I just don't dismiss the possibility of resentment, and this person's website persona is very, very misguided.

I'm going to go with your advice and SEND the scapular—and pray for her!

Thank you again so much,, and thank you, Curiousing, for your kind words about my salesmanship! I will keep this in mind for future orders!

God bless you!

Basilisa Marie

Sounds like there's a possibility you're offering her the seeds of conversion. If we all ignored people who needed conversion, no one would be Christian! :)  

And those scapulars are GORGEOUS! 

Hello, all!

I have been a member of Vocation Station for a while, but I didn't my question was appropriate for them, so I came here.

This is my question. I make and sell hand-embroidered scapulars (my Etsy shop is here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StellaMarigoldArt), and I recently had an order from someone referring to herself as a "Pagan," with an email address including "Witches" and "Crone," and with a physical address that led me to a website that advocates and provides psychic readings, Tarot card readings, witchcraft lessons, and so forth. The website claims a devotion to Our Lady, but in a VERY non-Catholic and "new-age" way. (I am not going to be more specific than that, since she is my customer and I don't want to give away private information).

My problem is that I'm really struggling with whether or not it is right to send her the scapular. I am aware that my scapulars, since they are not blessed before they are sold, are basically just pieces of embroidered cloth, but they still have the images of the Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart on them!

What do you think is the best thing to do?

A) Refund the money and keep the scapular

B) Send the scapular, but inform her that I don't want her to try to purchase anything else from my shop

C) Send the scapular and don't say anything

Even if I refund the payment, I will have to explain, and I'm not sure what to say. "Sorry, you're involved in some pretty awful stuff and I don't want my scapular in your hands"?!? 

Also, to be perfectly honest, I'm a little afraid of what she might do to me if she gets angry (since she's so into magic). I don't dismiss this kind of thing as harmless.

Thank you so much for reading all this, and thank you in advance for your advice!

If someone is really willing to drop $50 bucks on a teeny bit of art when they could easily get said art for pennies then don't question it.  It's none of your business.  You make art....religious art, but art none the less.  It's not cheap, either so the chance for "abuse" is pretty minimal

AuthorOfMyLife

Sounds like there's a possibility you're offering her the seeds of conversion. If we all ignored people who needed conversion, no one would be Christian! :)

And those scapulars are GORGEOUS! 

Thank you, Basilisa Marie! That's very kind of you!

If someone is really willing to drop $50 bucks on a teeny bit of art when they could easily get said art for pennies then don't question it.  It's none of your business.  You make art....religious art, but art none the less.  It's not cheap, either so the chance for "abuse" is pretty minimal

You're absolutely right about making art--I was thinking the same thing this morning. 

I know my customers' private lives aren't my business, and I suppose if I sold hundreds of scapulars a week I wouldn't even notice it. However, since my scapulars take so long to make (5 hours for a $50 scapular, and so on), and therefore are sold in limited numbers at a time, I tend to pay attention to each sale!

I just wanted to check to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong by allowing her to have it.

Thank you, Basilisa Marie! That's very kind of you!

You're absolutely right about making art--I was thinking the same thing this morning. 

I know my customers' private lives aren't my business, and I suppose if I sold hundreds of scapulars a week I wouldn't even notice it. However, since my scapulars take so long to make (5 hours for a $50 scapular, and so on), and therefore are sold in limited numbers at a time, I tend to pay attention to each sale!

I just wanted to check to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong by allowing her to have it.

No, infact, it would be quite wrong to deny her sales, mostly becuase you have no idea why she's purchasing it.  It could be that her niece/friend/godchild wanted one.  My friends at times have purchased Catholic things for me.  One was a militant Church of Christ/Baptist who purchased a small Mary night light.  I have a wiccan friend who gave me a saint card from a campus retreat at a monastery, she likes it and has one too.

You have to remember that it is wrong to deprive a buyer of your product.  For instance, this is why I say its wrong for cake makers to deny homosexual couples so long as the couple dosn't ask them to do anything against their faith like put two women on the cake.

This is one of the reasons blessed items are not sold as blessed items.  I am thoroughly agains any deception on your part, as it is a cruel trick.

I say send it!

Also, you just gave me a great idea for my mom's birthday present in November! She has been looking for a clothe brown scapular since hers became unwearable...

AuthorOfMyLife

I say send it!

Also, you just gave me a great idea for my mom's birthday present in November! She has been looking for a clothe brown scapular since hers became unwearable...

A scapular is a wonderful present!

And if any of my scapulars happen to interest you  :) , I can easily make a copy of a scapular that has been sold, and I also make special commission scapulars (for example, I made one with St. Michael on it, and another with St. Bernadette).

AuthorOfMyLife

No, infact, it would be quite wrong to deny her sales, mostly becuase you have no idea why she's purchasing it.  It could be that her niece/friend/godchild wanted one.  My friends at times have purchased Catholic things for me.  One was a militant Church of Christ/Baptist who purchased a small Mary night light.  I have a wiccan friend who gave me a saint card from a campus retreat at a monastery, she likes it and has one too.

You have to remember that it is wrong to deprive a buyer of your product.  For instance, this is why I say its wrong for cake makers to deny homosexual couples so long as the couple dosn't ask them to do anything against their faith like put two women on the cake.

This is one of the reasons blessed items are not sold as blessed items.  I am thoroughly agains any deception on your part, as it is a cruel trick.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree to some extent. 

However (and no offense meant as I know online communication is often unclear), your tone is confusing me. Are you saying I am deceiving her? Believe me, if I refused the sale (which I do not intend to do), I would tell her why.

And if you are referring to sewing a Green Scapular into this scapular, I don't honestly intend to do that either, however, you should know that if you read Green Scapular literature, you can see it has been used for years to aid spouses, friends, children, etc., very often without that person's knowledge. Such an action does not seem to be considered a "cruel trick."

Most importantly, I cannot agree that it is wrong to "deprive" a buyer of my product. No one has the "right" to own my scapulars. If my scapulars were the only scapulars in the world, then, yes, absolutely, I would need to share them freely for the sake of souls. But as it is, scapulars can be purchased in many, many shops online. They may not be hand-embroidered or as one-of-a-kind as mine, but they are available. I am not depriving anyone of the blessing of a scapular.

I put a great deal of attention and affection into my work, and I am, above all, respectful of what the images represent. I have a right to withdraw items from my shop. I have a right to decline a special commission request. Customers may indeed be purchasing for someone else, but in that case the customer is at liberty to tell me so if he/she is not happy with my decision.

Anyway… rant over... :)

I do appreciate your input on this situation, and the input of all the responders here (thank you all!). I feel better about what I should do now.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree to some extent. 

However (and no offense meant as I know online communication is often unclear), your tone is confusing me. Are you saying I am deceiving her? Believe me, if I refused the sale (which I do not intend to do), I would tell her why.

And if you are referring to sewing a Green Scapular into this scapular, I don't honestly intend to do that either, however, you should know that if you read Green Scapular literature, you can see it has been used for years to aid spouses, friends, children, etc., very often without that person's knowledge. Such an action does not seem to be considered a "cruel trick."

Most importantly, I cannot agree that it is wrong to "deprive" a buyer of my product. No one has the "right" to own my scapulars. If my scapulars were the only scapulars in the world, then, yes, absolutely, I would need to share them freely for the sake of souls. But as it is, scapulars can be purchased in many, many shops online. They may not be hand-embroidered or as one-of-a-kind as mine, but they are available. I am not depriving anyone of the blessing of a scapular.

I put a great deal of attention and affection into my work, and I am, above all, respectful of what the images represent. I have a right to withdraw items from my shop. I have a right to decline a special commission request. Customers may indeed be purchasing for someone else, but in that case the customer is at liberty to tell me so if he/she is not happy with my decision.

Anyway… rant over... :)

I do appreciate your input on this situation, and the input of all the responders here (thank you all!). I feel better about what I should do now.

No, I didn't say you intended to deceive someone, but there were many posters who were perfectly content in ensuring you that you should hide a different scapular inside or have it blessed.  Hiding statues and scapulars without a person's consent and knowledge is sacraligious and in my opinion idol worship.  God dosn't work though things, He works through prayer.  People, however, are so obsessed with occult like behavior....even Catholic websites encourage the burial of a St. Joseph statute to sell a house.  I find that sort of nonsense disturbing.

Actually, once you enter the free market place then it is wrong not to sell to a willing buyer, not to mention illegal on the macro level.  Just because you're on the micro level doesn't give you the right to discriminate against someone.

You don't really get the right to be judge and jury over your buyers.   They can do whatever they want with your product.   And honestly, if someone wanted to do wrong, they could easily trick you and get any email they wanted...like Fr.Joe or such.   Yes, it's nice if they treat it well, but you've agreed that your product is worth X amount of dollars.   If you're unhappy with non-catholics or such shopping, you should close your shop entirely.

AuthorOfMyLife

No, I didn't say you intended to deceive someone, but there were many posters who were perfectly content in ensuring you that you should hide a different scapular inside or have it blessed.  Hiding statues and scapulars without a person's consent and knowledge is sacraligious and in my opinion idol worship.  God dosn't work though things, He works through prayer.  People, however, are so obsessed with occult like behavior....even Catholic websites encourage the burial of a St. Joseph statute to sell a house.  I find that sort of nonsense disturbing.

Actually, once you enter the free market place then it is wrong not to sell to a willing buyer, not to mention illegal on the macro level.  Just because you're on the micro level doesn't give you the right to discriminate against someone.

You don't really get the right to be judge and jury over your buyers.   They can do whatever they want with your product.   And honestly, if someone wanted to do wrong, they could easily trick you and get any email they wanted...like Fr.Joe or such.   Yes, it's nice if they treat it well, but you've agreed that your product is worth X amount of dollars.   If you're unhappy with non-catholics or such shopping, you should close your shop entirely.

Okay, thank you for clarifying. Out of curiosity, do you have any specific link to the catechism, etc. that states that hiding statues, etc. is sacrilegious? I tried to look it up, but found nothing.

You make a good point about things vs. prayer. This is why in my description of "what is a scapular," I emphasize that it isn't a magic charm, or a guarantee of salvation--it is a sacramental, an aid to devotion that isn't worth anything unless it is worn with the right intent.

However, I still do not agree with you about what you are describing as discrimination. I would like to look into this more, and educate myself better. Certainly, I think that if someone purchases something directly from my shop, their case is different from someone who wants to request a custom order. I may be obliged to provide an item already paid for but I don't feel obliged to make something by special commission that I am not comfortable with.

It isn't that I'm so scared that someone will abuse my work--and I know that a buyer with harm in mind could easily fool me. I just don't feel that making items/commission work available means the artist becomes completely helpless to make decisions about his/her work or abilities. 

I am not unhappy with non-Catholics shopping. I can't know who is a Catholic, who isn't, etc.--I don't want to know and don't try to find out. Unfortunately, in this case, I couldn't escape knowing about all the pagan/witchcraft involvement, since it was in the email, address, etc. And since I knew about it, I wanted to make sure I handled it properly.

So wanting to do the right thing is what brought me here!

[edited to correct spelling]

Edited by AuthorOfMyLife