An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seminarian crushes

Young Searcher

franciscanheart

As someone who was raised in a technically Asian family, I'm pretty sure that a man in the continent of Asia would not be normally seen holding hands or giving hugs to women who they were not married to, or not related to, or not in some sort of relationship with. And I'm pretty certain that in the case of a seminarian it would be something definitely looked down upon as it could give scandal. In comparison, American and Europeans are way more touchy-feely with the opposite sexes I think.

Exactly. I wish I read this 1st…

And I'd say Europeans much more than most Americans.

And I'd say Europeans much more than most Americans.

I'd say Americans much more than most Europeans. Maybe I should limit that to the northern half of Europe. But I found the huggy culture in the US unbearable, to the point where I'd excuse myself early to avoid having to hug strangers. And while my southern European friends use a lot less personal space and will do arm-touching stuff more, I can't really see them being comfortable with hugging strangers either. They are actually decidedly cooler with strangers than northern European and many Americans, who would rather die than appear unfriendly.

puellapaschalis

I'd say Americans much more than most Europeans. Maybe I should limit that to the northern half of Europe. But I found the huggy culture in the US unbearable, to the point where I'd excuse myself early to avoid having to hug strangers. And while my southern European friends use a lot less personal space and will do arm-touching stuff more, I can't really see them being comfortable with hugging strangers either. They are actually decidedly cooler with strangers than northern European and many Americans, who would rather die than appear unfriendly.

My experience tallies with this to some extent; I really don't think I'd hug many of my close friends on the Continent any more than 'very rarely', and with strangers it would be a handshake and that's it. In the UK it could be different, but only in the sense that I'd be slightly more likely to hug a friend when saying hello or goodbye.

Young Searcher

Every time I see the title of this thread I imagine some weird iPhone game app like Candy Crush.

hahahaha

puellapaschalis

HUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGG MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There there now, don't upset yourself. Have a nice cup of tea.

franciscanheart

Perhaps our experiences are just different. I know the south in general tends to be more physically affectionate, but I don't experience that here much where I am. I am not a hugger. I don't like hugs or touch very much at all. I very much appreciate personal space and don't believe I need to violate yours in order to appear friendly; a smile is adequate.

Archaeology cat

Perhaps our experiences are just different. I know the south in general tends to be more physically affectionate, but I don't experience that here much where I am. I am not a hugger. I don't like hugs or touch very much at all. I very much appreciate personal space and don't believe I need to violate yours in order to appear friendly; a smile is adequate.

Can we be best friends? People like to hug me way too much here (and I'm from KY, so you'd think I'd be used to it, but I still dislike it - I mean, I used to shake my grandfather's hand instead of hugging him).