An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Book Thread

Peace

Shouldn't we have a thread where people post up what they are currently reading?

Why yes, Peace. That sounds like a great idea.

Right now I am reading a book called "The Cleaving of Christendom" by Warren H. Carroll.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cleaving-Christendom-1517-1661-History/dp/0931888751

It is a super interesting book about the reformation period, written from an unabashedly pro-Catholic perspective.

What are other folks reading - other than this forum?

Peace

HopefulHeart

Yes, great idea!

Since the semester is in full swing, I'm not doing any leisure reading, but I am doing some interesting reading for my classes. I read several selections from Paradise Lost last week, and I've also been reading texts from ancient Roman historians, like Livy and Polybius.

Ancilla Domini

Shouldn't we have a thread where people post up what they are currently reading?

Right now I am reading a book called "The Cleaving of Christendom" by Warren H. Carroll.

It is a super interesting book about the reformation period, written from an unabashedly pro-Catholic perspective.

Peace

I read this last year for my history course. Great book, but decidedly pro-Catholic. I found it pretty unfairly biased. (Not that you shouldn't be in favor of Catholicism, but you need to measure people by the same standards.) But good book, nonetheless.

Currently reading heaps of things. Iliad for lit, Anna Karenina for pleasure, and many other history/philosophy books for various subjects.

I'm also making my way through the entire Bible, which is tough, especially for a busy senior like me. :P But of course necessary and totally worth it.

I'm reading a book about the religion of Ancient Greece and I hate it. 

So I'm also reading The life and times of the Thunderbold kid by Bill Bryson. I love it. He's one of my favorite american author. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

We DID have a book thread for awhile. AnneLine ran it, and it was posted in the Lame Board. If I remember correctly, once in awhile a group of posters would decide on a single book to talk about, but I think there was also a thread for books people had recently read. (If I'm remembering this all wrong, forgive me.)

I think a thread about books we'd recently read would be a good idea--either here or in the Lame Board.

However, don't expect me to post. Sorry. Most of the books I read I wouldn't necessarily talk about because either people would think the books were totally shallow, or would not be interested because I'm not a heavy reader of theology. I WILL say that virtually every theology book I have read since joining Phatmass has been Catholic, but you wouldn't necessarily appreciate all my opinions. :idontknow: Sorry to disappoint you, but I've never made any secret that I'm not Catholic. Also because I'm not Catholic, many of my questions are either very basic or they could be easily interpreted in an insulting way (when that is not my intention AT ALL). There are still some things I just don't understand. Thankfully, I've found a few people who are able to deal with my questions about Catholicism without getting insulted, and we exchange PM's. One important lesson I've learned in my five years on Phatmass is that it is mostly better to keep my mouth shut when it comes to theology. :shutup:

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Peace

Dr. Carroll's Church history series is amesome.  I only read part of the 1st volume, a while ago... I've been meaning to catch up. Thanks for reminding me!  I'm not sure if you know this but Dr. Carroll founded Christendom College. He passed away several years ago…  eternal rest grant unto him O Lord.

The books I'm trying to read right now are the Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis, Witness to Hope by George Weigel, and then I gotta get back to the Everlasting man by GK Chesterton. I think that the last 2 books I read were novels--- Innocence by Dean Koontz, and the 5th Gospel by Ian Caldwell. Good stuff.

AccountDeleted

The last book I read was The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny - it's a fiction novel. I'm not much into the heavy theology books anymore. I figure I've read my fair share of them both in and out of convents. Now I read for relaxation and entertainment.

We DID have a book thread for awhile. AnneLine ran it, and it was posted in the Lame Board. If I remember correctly, once in awhile a group of posters would decide on a single book to talk about, but I think there was also a thread for books people had recently read. (If I'm remembering this all wrong, forgive me.)

I think a thread about books we'd recently read would be a good idea--either here or in the Lame Board.

However, don't expect me to post. Sorry. Most of the books I read I wouldn't necessarily talk about because either people would think the books were totally shallow, or would not be interested because I'm not a heavy reader of theology. I WILL say that virtually every theology book I have read since joining Phatmass has been Catholic, but you wouldn't necessarily appreciate all my opinions. :idontknow: Sorry to disappoint you, but I've never made any secret that I'm not Catholic. Also because I'm not Catholic, many of my questions are either very basic or they could be easily interpreted in an insulting way (when that is not my intention AT ALL). There are still some things I just don't understand. Thankfully, I've found a few people who are able to deal with my questions about Catholicism without getting insulted, and we exchange PM's. One important lesson I've learned in my five years on Phatmass is that it is mostly better to keep my mouth shut when it comes to theology. :shutup:

Ignatius, I don't see why the book thread should be only for "serious" books ! Please post about your shallow book ! Me too, I'm not a heavy reader of theology or serious book, too, most of what I read are travel literature, detective novel, or written by Stephen King ;) 

I read this last year for my history course. Great book, but decidedly pro-Catholic. I found it pretty unfairly biased. (Not that you shouldn't be in favor of Catholicism, but you need to measure people by the same standards.) But good book, nonetheless.

Currently reading heaps of things. Iliad for lit, Anna Karenina for pleasure, and many other history/philosophy books for various subjects.

I'm also making my way through the entire Bible, which is tough, especially for a busy senior like me. :P But of course necessary and totally worth it.

True - but all history is biased, is it not? It seems that putting emphasis on certain facts than others is inherent in trying to summarize a vast amount of information. I would not like it if the author wrote things that are factually untrue, but I have no problem with someone putting a pro-Catholic slant on things. It is nice to have a book that defends our position instead of glorifying the reformers. . .

Heck. There are massive amounts of things that most Catholics (on this board or otherwise, and including myself) just don't understand. I'd be more wary of someone who claims knowledge than someone who admits that he is lacking and asks questions.

I've been wanting to expand my reading list beyond theology lately, actually. I am a bit tired of it.

Dr. Carroll's Church history series is amesome.  I only read part of the 1st volume, a while ago... I've been meaning to catch up. Thanks for reminding me!  I'm not sure if you know this but Dr. Carroll founded Christendom College. He passed away several years ago…  eternal rest grant unto him O Lord.

The books I'm trying to read right now are the Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis, Witness to Hope by George Weigel, and then I gotta get back to the Everlasting man by GK Chesterton. I think that the last 2 books I read were novels--- Innocence by Dean Koontz, and the 5th Gospel by Ian Caldwell. Good stuff.

I am a big Screwtape fan - one of my favorites. I should read more C.S. Lewis. I could never get into Chesterton. People swear that he is a great person to read, but for whatever reason his writing style never vibed too well with me. But maybe I will try again at some point in the future . . .

The last book I read was The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny - it's a fiction novel. I'm not much into the heavy theology books anymore. I figure I've read my fair share of them both in and out of convents. Now I read for relaxation and entertainment.

Yeah. I have been wanting to switch away from heavy stuff too. I feel like I need more stuff that speaks to my heart rather than my intellect nowadays . . .

HopefulHeart

I forgot to mention that I am also reading the Bible, using a read-the-Bible-in-a-year plan. I'll be done in November, and then I'll start all over again with Genesis.

+

I'm so happy you started this thread Peace, I love book discussions! This past week I read The Many Faces of Mary by Bob and Penny Lord (recommend to anyone, its just beautiful), Your Presence Is My Joy by Conrad De Meester, Light Love Life by Conrad De Meester (I am really enjoying Bl. Elizabeth right now!), Mary Was Her Life by Sr. Mary Pierre R.S.M. and I'm currently reading St. Faustina's Diary Divine Mercy In My Soul. It is very beautiful and I'm sorry I haven't read it sooner!

Most of my reading right now is geared towards my thesis. Currently I'm reading Fr. John Hardon's History and Theology of Grace, Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange's Three Ways of the Spiritual Life, and Henri Rondet's The Grace of Christ. 

Oremus Pro Invicem

"Divine Intimacy": by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen, O.C.D.

Pretty much blown away by it.  

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy, and a few others I've been trying to finish forever...multiple books at once is a vice of mine.